Neutered Classes

Ceilidh

On the subject of showing Nuetered dogs' could somebody please give some sugestions re my situation. I have a male dog that as a young dog had a lump in one testicle and as a safety precaution, advised by my vet had the testicle removed, leaving him with one testicle. With vetinary evidence i approached Dogs' nsw re showing of this dog. I was expectedly informed that the breed standard stipulates the need to be entire which is fine. I understand that the object of these regs' are to ensure that the top quality dogs can be bred and continue to pass on their breed improvements etc. We all know what a farce that object is when you see some of the specimans of the various breeds that are being awarded titles regularly week after week. In my own case the dog concerned having one testicle, able to reproduce does' not qualify for either class . What choice do I have if I wish to show this dog who apart from the stated is a solid breed speciman.Comments please.as i think this is an interesting position.

I suspect your only hope of showing this dog would be to desex and re-register as a Neuter.

I had the same thought.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask a question here which may sound silly but it's for the purposes of further educating myself!!!?

Dogs that are shown in neuter class... are they main listed dogs who have been desexed? Can they be limit register dogs (who obviously most likely should be desexed with most breeder agreements)? And pertaining to part b, can you get a desexed limit register dog to be put on main if it were for the purposes of showing in the neuter class (obviously with breeder agreement etc)?

I tried to look up some stuff about the neuter showing but found it difficult to find/understand. So would love your plain english versions!!!

Oh, and partly this question came up in my head due to the references to pet dogs within the thread (and I sort of assume that most people with pet dogs would have them on limit register).

Edited by Pretty Miss Emma

Can I ask a question here which may sound silly but it's for the purposes of further educating myself!!!?

Dogs that are shown in neuter class... are they main listed dogs who have been desexed? Can they be limit register dogs (who obviously most likely should be desexed with most breeder agreements)? And pertaining to part b, can you get a desexed limit register dog to be put on main if it were for the purposes of showing in the neuter class (obviously with breeder agreement etc)?

I tried to look up some stuff about the neuter showing but found it difficult to find/understand. So would love your plain english versions!!!

Oh, and partly this question came up in my head due to the references to pet dogs within the thread (and I sort of assume that most people with pet dogs would have them on limit register).

The dogs must be on main register and then you need to submit their desexing certificate to get them put on the Neuter register.

To get a dog transferred from limited to main, you just need the breeder to assess the dog and then complete the relevant form if they agree the dog meets the standard. If already desexed, you would have to get it transferred from limited to main and then resubmit the paperwork to get it transferred to neuter.

The dogs must be on main register and then you need to submit their desexing certificate to get them put on the Neuter register.

To get a dog transferred from limited to main, you just need the breeder to assess the dog and then complete the relevant form if they agree the dog meets the standard. If already desexed, you would have to get it transferred from limited to main and then resubmit the paperwork to get it transferred to neuter.

Thankyou for a fantastic plain english answer!!! (maybe you should write the guidelines so newbies like me understand everything without getting stressed!!) :)

On the subject of showing Nuetered dogs' could somebody please give some sugestions re my situation. I have a male dog that as a young dog had a lump in one testicle and as a safety precaution, advised by my vet had the testicle removed, leaving him with one testicle. With vetinary evidence i approached Dogs' nsw re showing of this dog. I was expectedly informed that the breed standard stipulates the need to be entire which is fine. I understand that the object of these regs' are to ensure that the top quality dogs can be bred and continue to pass on their breed improvements etc. We all know what a farce that object is when you see some of the specimans of the various breeds that are being awarded titles regularly week after week. In my own case the dog concerned having one testicle, able to reproduce does' not qualify for either class . What choice do I have if I wish to show this dog who apart from the stated is a solid breed speciman.Comments please.as i think this is an interesting position.

There was a dog shown here with 1 testicle to his title

Thankyou for a fantastic plain english answer!!! (maybe you should write the guidelines so newbies like me understand everything without getting stressed!!) :)

It is my understanding that a dog over the age of 3 (i think) can not be upgraded to main register from limit. Ever. I encountered this problem a few years ago. Hopefully there has been a rule change???

Well sadly due to the Victorian procrastination Clarelly Wilhelmina as crossed bridge 42 points short of her title. Would have done it this and next weekend.

But not to be. Wil faded rapidly in the last 2 weeks.

So now onwards with the fight to get Vic on the program.

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed?

Showing should be enjoyable, however that doesn't mean the quality of the exhibits should be any less than those shown in the other breed classes. Neuter is not an excuse to step out with a god horrible dog or bitch. Whilst our show dogs are also our pets, I don't believe the neuter class is for "pet" quality.

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show?

Yep, the neuters should be in show condition. Fit, active, glowing and happy to be there. "Veterans" is for the old dogs, although some veterans can still match it with the youngsters in other classes

3. Will you be upset if you come up against Champions or Grand Champions?

I was going to show one of my girls and would have been glad to have competition. She held her own at all breeds and specialites for quite a few years and it wouldn;t have worried me one bit. I can see that there will be the usual whinge fest from those who think CH's should be in a class of their own.

I have shown a neutered dog before the title was introduced, it was a great way to get an outstanding specimen into the ring, who sadly was without his nuts.

It is my understanding that a dog over the age of 3 (i think) can not be upgraded to main register from limit. Ever. I encountered this problem a few years ago. Hopefully there has been a rule change???

I'm not sure.. There's no mention of it on the DogsNSW form - you just have to pay more if the dog is >18 months.

Merrirose but this dog is going to main register neutered so is different.

TerraNik you can do it with one send in. My sister has just done it. Needed to put dog in her name as well. :D :laugh:

Well there you go! Glad it's more streamlined than I thought!

Merrirose but this dog is going to main register neutered so is different.

Hey BB, comment was in reply to Pretty Miss Emma who asked "And pertaining to part b, can you get a desexed limit register dog to be put on main if it were for the purposes of showing in the neuter class (obviously with breeder agreement etc)?"

So sorry to hear of your girls passing. :D

Cheers.

OK found it...

What is the Limited Register?

Dogs on the Limited Register are considered by their breeder to not be quite up to the standard that is required for showing or breeding. Quite often dogs sold as ‘pets’ will be registered on the Limited Register. It is possible to upgrade a dog from the Limited Register to the Main Register with the breeder's consent (by way of signature) for a nominal cost as long as the application is made before the dog turns 3 years of age.

http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/resources/faqs.html?start=13

OK found it...

What is the Limited Register?

Dogs on the Limited Register are considered by their breeder to not be quite up to the standard that is required for showing or breeding. Quite often dogs sold as ‘pets’ will be registered on the Limited Register. It is possible to upgrade a dog from the Limited Register to the Main Register with the breeder's consent (by way of signature) for a nominal cost as long as the application is made before the dog turns 3 years of age.

http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/resources/faqs.html?start=13

Nice find! Good to know!!

I agree with everyone so far. I absolutely think they should be in top condition and a good example of the breed. It's perfect for dogs like my boy, who had to get desexed due to an undescended testicle or other health reasons.

I agree with everyone too....my little man never attained his Ch title ...he was ten points shy of it when he had to be desexed due to a strangulated hernia and testicle...he has sired several litters ...good quality pups who have done well in the show and obedience rings to date...HE doesnt especially care whether he gets his Neuter Ch or not but he loves to be with me and is very happy to have the chance of running about these show ring..and spending a day with mum !

I expect a Neuter class to be judges the same as any other class

so glad to be able to exhibit him ..And enjoy his company out and about

• 4 months later...

I have a 9.5 yr old Neutered Bitch that I have shown since she was about 3 yrs Old.

She was de-sexed due to unforeseen circumstances, but in hind site a medical condition has since become apparent which would have prevented us from Breeding her anyway.

When the Neuter Champion Title was introduced I was so excited that I started entering her in more shows to try and gain her Title.

We are nearly 2/3'rds of the way and hope to have it in the bag by Mid October.

Like others have already said, it's a great way to be introduced to the world of showing without the Pressure of the Bigger more competitive classes.

Good luck to all those out there showing their Neuter's

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed?

- Showing is always fun but I think it''s just as serious as any other title so the dogs that compete should be good examples of the breed

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show?

- Peak condition

3. Will you be upset if you come up against Champions or Grand Champions?

No

I am about to venture into the neuter ring myself with two Ch. titled dogs.

Due to unforseen health issues with both dogs I have decided to have them desexed but both are lovely and got their Ch. titles with ease and they enjoy showing.

I see the neuter title as a great reason to keep them in the show ring and having fun.

Edited by Bjelkier

I have seen some lovely neuters, who have been neutered for health reasons. Their breeding ability is a great loss to each of their respective breeds and I'm very pleased that they are being offered the chance to become Champions, albeit neutered Champions.

Always remember that the Challenge Certificate for a neuter reads the same as a Challenge Certificate for an entire dog. The Judge still signs after it says "I am clearly of the opinion that this exhibit is of such outstanding merit as to be worthy to qualify for the title of 'Champion'" :laugh:

There are some absolutely stunning dogs out in the neuter class in SA at the moment. The stories behind a couple of them and why they are in neuter would break your heart. It is good that they can be back out in the ring again.

I have a couple of poodles here who just didn't like the show ring. I had them desexed and they became fat, happy house pets.

Well, 2 years of free-runs at the park, getting down and dirty and they are both now extremly outgoing. Due to their temperament problems early on I wouldn't breed from them even if they were still entire, but they are more than qualified in terms of conformation to compete.

I was tempted to grow my boys coat back to show in neuter but it's just too much work considering we only have a couple of shows offering neuter classes here a year.

To me a neuter should be just as good as a dog in regular conformations shows, just without the "bits".