Other Ways To Transport Puppy Home By Car Other Then A Crate?

Nadine83

We bring our Golden Retriever pup home this Saturday and I still don't know how we are going to transport her!

It's a 3.5-4hr car trip.

Any ideas that won't cost us a fortune? We have a wire crate at home but we have a sedan so it is not going to fit in the car. We have two car seats in the car but one can be removed for the trip if need be (the children won't be coming with us).

Things we do have that may be an option:

A dog harness for the car (borrowed from my mum)

A car seat protector

Cardboard boxes

Any suggestions appreciated :rofl:

Edited by Nadine83

if the pup is only about 8 weeks old she should be able to fit into a cat carry cage. Lots of people have those so I would borrow one and transport in that and take a child seat out. it's the easiest and safest way to carry young pups and will fit on your back seat.

if the pup is only about 8 weeks old she should be able to fit into a cat carry cage. Lots of people have those so I would borrow one and transport in that and take a child seat out. it's the easiest and safest way to carry young pups and will fit on your back seat.

It would have to be the smallest Golden retriever to fit into a cat cage

Just sit in the back encourage to sleep on th efloor if it curls up with human no big deal

You could even borrow a soft crate or a pp20 or pp40 (not sure which is the medium size?) to transport in the car. Just make sure puppy has not eaten just before transport and have some old towels handy in case of car sickness or little accidents.

It would have to be the smallest Golden retriever to fit into a cat cage

Just sit in the back encourage to sleep on th efloor if it curls up with human no big deal

I agree with showdog. If there are two of you going to get your new puppy then why can't one of you drive and the other nurse the puppy, or sit in the back and encourage it to sleep on the seat/floor on a towel. Most puppies will just sleep for the trip, especially if in human contact.

we bought Chase home in a washing basket with an old towel in it, I sat in the back with him while OH drove and he slept the whole way home!

mind you he doesnt fit in a washing basket now, and hes only been home 2 weeks!

Thanks everyone for your tips. I have boxes, washing baskets and towels so I will construct something :hug:

ETA: And yes, my hubby will be coming as well, so there will be two of us.

Edited by Nadine83

The idea is to contain the puppy so it's secure and does not fly about in the event of an accident/and prevent it from disturbing the driver.

I can't see a washing basket or cardboard box as being of any use.

Washing basket has no lid and puppy can climb out the cardboard box would crumble in seconds in an accident I imagine.

I vote the harness and someone sit in the back with the puppy.

I'd put her in the harness too and have someone sit in the back. Even when you have your wagon, she's still going to have to learn to be harnessed, so you might as well start now. We didn't harness train our boy from the start... and boy did that cause problems down the track, and it took ages for him to settle.. but now he loves it.

Yes, 2 people, you sit on the back seat with a big blanket and a couple of towels just in case, your puppy will most likely sleep with his head on your lap all the way home.

Don't stop anywhere and put him on the grass as he has only had his first vaccination so he is not fully protected yet.

i will be harness training my goldie bub as well... we are driving from vic to QLD in June for the nationals so she needs to be able to be settled in the back alone... we will try to crate her in the car but will have to trial if the crate will fit set up :S otherwise harnessed in the backseat :) My sister offered to nurse the pup all 20 hrs to the north state... i said ummm can u say numb legs?? bahahahahaha silly girl!! make sure she feels safe and secure and she wil be fine :laugh:

I had a cardboard box to bring April home in. Before we'd even left the breeders she was climbing out, so I had her on my lap. Was the longest 40-50 minute car trip ever, she wriggled the whole way.

Forward 15 yrs & we brought Tilba home, a 6 hr trip, in a crate. She slept the whole way except for a couple of stops. Depends on what sort of car you have, we only have a Corolla hatchback. The crate fitted in well with our luggage, as we made a holiday of it with the split seat down flat. :thumbsup:

I ordered a soft collapsible crate from Topbuy yesterday. It says it has been posted so I am hoping it arrives tomorrow (express post) as it will come in handy! If not we will be taking a box, towels, newspaper, puppy pads, wipes, harness, car seat protector, collar & lead etc and we will do whatever the pup is happy with even if we have to try a couple of things out LOL.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to reply :thumbsup: