Fish Based Kibble... No Chicken Or Beef?

Hi All

I have a 52kg mastiff x who is allergic to chicken, beef, pork and lamb (lucky me right).

So far is thriving on fish based kibble (Eagle Pack holistic sardine/anchovy) which we supplement with eggs, sweet potato and kangaroo.

But - supply of eagle pack is dodgy at best - we struggle to get it and since he can put away a HUGE amount of food, I'm pretty much constantly looking for food. Have tried Canidae but it seems to be turning his poop black and pretty smelly.

Someone has suggested Purina One Salmon formula - does anyone have experience with this food?

Or can anyone suggest an alternate fish based food?

Can't contain chicken. Which rules out 90% of foods.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :-)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone will come in and help with the name of a food i cant remember the flavour is ocean basket, its a premium food.

My dog is highly allergic to beef, chicken, turkey, wheat - all grains, soy etc. I find it much easier to just feed home prepared, that way i know whats in it. I feed a lot of fresh sardines lately.

Do you think the person meant ProPlan Sensitive Skin? That is salmon based. There used to be a un-named fat in it. The recipes have just changed as they are now made in Australia so not sure about the ingredients.

California Natural do one but that depends on how you feel about Pets Paradise as they import it. Theirs is Herring and Sweet Potato.

Get Canidae grain free salmon. My dog gets tummy upsets with chicken/pork as well and this one really suits him.

Here is the list of ingredients:

CANIDAE All Natural Ingredients

Salmon meal, potatoes, potato protein, ocean fish meal, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), peas, tomato pomace, natural flavor, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, papaya, pineapple.

pro plan sensitive skin and stomach works well with my two, it is salmon based but not sure what the salmon are actually fed, if pellet/grain or natural stuff so that worrys me too but my two do well on but my pockets don't haha.

pro plan sensitive skin and stomach works well with my two, it is salmon based but not sure what the salmon are actually fed, if pellet/grain or natural stuff so that worrys me too but my two do well on but my pockets don't haha.

but it has generic "animal fat" as an ingredient doesn't it?

I feed pro plan salmon not due to issues but because it is brilliant for my coated breeds .

We have found no difference in the factory change & trust me if there was i would be rightly pi**ed

You can buy vet only Eukanunba Fish & potato from the vets in a 12 kg bag which we have also used & found excellent for issue dogs they also do a roo formula

how does your dog go with rabbit? I try to avoid beef & lamb having a dog with sensitive skin and she gets over roo sometimes. She loves rabbit though- you can get them from most big butchers. It's her special treat

Edited by Scarlett Dog

but it has generic "animal fat" as an ingredient doesn't it?

wouldn't have a clue sorry, sometimes i do my head in over dog kibble.

Pro Plan Sensitive does have animal fat in it. When Eagle Pack supplies were scarce, I put my two on Pro Plan. Mini wouldn't touch it and Grumpy got low grade pancreatitis. The main difference in the ingredients is that Eagle Pack doesn't have animal fat in it.

its missing a lot of essential fatty acids as it's such a lean meat. Commercial rabbits especially are a horrific colour there's not much nutrition in them long term. If you want to use rabbit you should be mixing it with another protein.

does anyone know if venison is a hot meat like beef and lamb in allergic dogs?

Not sure what you mean by a hot meat but our GSD is allergic to:

Beef

Chicken

Sheep

Pig

Emu

Kangaroo

Camel

Rabbit

Crocodile

Also possibly allergic to whitebait, bait sardines, river prawns and yoghurt - still testing these

Goat and Venison are two safe foods that he (touch wood) doesn't react to and we can only use two specific dry foods (Canidae grain free salmon and Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy).

For us, venison is currently a safe bet but that may not be the case for all protein allergy dogs.