My Dog Took Sick Yesterday With A Mystery Illness

jase293

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the kind words guys it means alot , the vets thinks when he was sick back in april it may have been the start of his tumours, ?, so he lasted around 6 months , i wish it was longer, but im also glad he is now pain free,

the worst part is my daughter has been asking us to let her have a dog of her own, we said awhile ago when jock was 1st sick we wouldnt ever get another dog ,

we have only ever had 2 dogs, the 1st died last year of old age, and now jock ,

how do you ever come to the decision to get another dog, after loseing 2 of them ?

So sorry to hear about your loss :cry:

He looked like a gorgeous dog with a lovely happy smile.

You will know when the time is right to get another dog. It varies for everyone, some people need another dog immediately and some people need more time. I think you'll know when you feel ready again.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

The decision to get another dog is very personal, some people feel they need to straight away, others tend to wait a while. Often where there's kids involved sooner rather than later can help them.

It's important to have a family discussion and know that everyone is ready, and that you are not 'replacing' either of your previous dogs, but adding a new family member who will make new memories for you all.

It is really hard, Jase - but the way a lot of us feel is that getting a new dog is not in any way a replacement for the previous dog, but it is a recognition of the important place that dog had in your life - and in some way honours the dogs who have gone - if that makes sense.

I don't know if it's harder to lose dogs through old age, or to lose a young dog - both really hurt.

RIP to your deal old Stafford man - he sounded like a lovely dog.

Jase - it's never easy to say goodbye to a beloved best mate, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

You will know if/when you are ready to add another dog to your family. Dogs have that special knack of reaching out and just grabbing a hold of your heart when you least expect it...

Run free and healthy now sweet Jock - and say G'day to my old girl Woosie for me, OK?

T.

RIP Jock, so sorry for your loss Jase.

Each time we have lost a dog I have said "never again, I can't go through the loss" and at the time I mean it. However dogs are such a part of my and my OH's life that after a while I find the house very empty without them, and we start to look for that special companion again. I never feel I am replacing the one/s we have lost but sometimes, just once in a while; I catch an echo of one of them in a behaviour or expression and with the benefit of time I can smile and recall all the good stuff. I am still sad at the losses but start to think more about all they gave us and in a weird way it makes me feel better. I am probably not explaining very well sorry, I hope a time comes for you when you are ready.

P.S. I agree rescues are the best!

Guest Black Obsession

I'm so sorry to hear about Jock. He looks like he was such a special boy.

Edited by Black Obsession

thanks for all the replys guys, your posts got me thinking about what you all had to say,

i was talking to my wife about jock and she said something that also got me thinking,?

she said we had him for over 8 years and gave him a good life, she then said what would off happened to him if we never rescued him? , it was only a spur of the moment thing when we heard about him at the time , it was my brother inlaw who told us he was going to be put down in a couple of days time, so going against everything iv ever thought i got a dog from a pound, it was somewere i never thought id get a dog from,? well when we got him we couldnt belive anyone whould dump a pure english staffy ? we straight away thought he must have some problems ? but he has been a ripper of a dog, and gave us 8 years of pleasure ,

well me and the wife said we would never get any more dogs as we dont want to try and replace jock, but after hearing from you guys, i thought if we were to get another dog we would not be replacing him we would be saving another dog, and getting another mate to take for a ride and take fishing ,

so we have decided when and if the time is rite to get another dog , we would go for another pound dog, we were thinking we would go for a mature dog , we thought maybe we mite try a small foxie type dog , and our idea with getting a older dog is, that we could give a older dog a chance to live , as maybe people getting dogs from pounds go for young dogs, were i like older calm type dogs ,

anyway thanks everyone for putting up with my ramblings , i like this site as i have learnt a lot about dogs and you guys have been very nice,

regards jason,

ps , i hope no one was cranky when i said rescue dogs are the best, im shore dogs got from other places besides pounds are also great,

thanks for all the replys guys, your posts got me thinking about what you all had to say,

i was talking to my wife about jock and she said something that also got me thinking,?

she said we had him for over 8 years and gave him a good life, she then said what would off happened to him if we never rescued him? , it was only a spur of the moment thing when we heard about him at the time , it was my brother inlaw who told us he was going to be put down in a couple of days time, so going against everything iv ever thought i got a dog from a pound, it was somewere i never thought id get a dog from,? well when we got him we couldnt belive anyone whould dump a pure english staffy ? we straight away thought he must have some problems ? but he has been a ripper of a dog, and gave us 8 years of pleasure ,

well me and the wife said we would never get any more dogs as we dont want to try and replace jock, but after hearing from you guys, i thought if we were to get another dog we would not be replacing him we would be saving another dog, and getting another mate to take for a ride and take fishing ,

so we have decided when and if the time is rite to get another dog , we would go for another pound dog, we were thinking we would go for a mature dog , we thought maybe we mite try a small foxie type dog , and our idea with getting a older dog is, that we could give a older dog a chance to live , as maybe people getting dogs from pounds go for young dogs, were i like older calm type dogs ,

anyway thanks everyone for putting up with my ramblings , i like this site as i have learnt a lot about dogs and you guys have been very nice,

regards jason,

ps , i hope no one was cranky when i said rescue dogs are the best, im shore dogs got from other places besides pounds are also great,

I am so so sorry for your loss Jase. No matter how long we have our dogs for, it never seems long enough :cry:

I am glad you popped back in to let us all know what happened with your gorgeous old lad Jock.

It is wonderful that you are sorting through your feelings about getting another dog when the time is right.

I feel pretty confident no one would have been cranky or upset by your comment re pound dogs being the best, or at least I certainly took no offence. It was a very sweet comment that clearly came from the heart.

IMO we all have the best dog (no matter where it came from) and I love it when I hear individuals saying their dog is the best. Such words exhibit our absolute awe and unwavering love for our dogs.

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

i thought i would write another post to seek some help with there thougts from everyone,

well my wife wants to get me another staffy, ? i told her i dont want another staffy, my 40th bday is coming up and she keeps saying she is getting me another staffy,

well a person around the block from us has a litter of staffys,and we found out they are the same bloodline to my 1st staffy girl i had , i found out my wife has seen them 2 times , lol , well she said the other day lets o for a drive and then she takes me around to the peoples place who have the pups, well then we end up looking at the pups, then the owners said you can have the pick of the litter,

thankfully i didnt say i was taking one, but the wife kepts asking me to pick 1 , so then i said i liked a certain pup, but wasent going to say i was taking it , i think she is going to get 1 ?

well thats okay , now yesterday she heard that some people out of town who breed staffys , mostly blues, they keep there dogs in kennels and just use them to breed blue pups, i guess you would all it a puppy breeding place ,? they are leaving town and selling all there dogs,

well she heard they are selling 2 of there mature dogs , 1 a black pied bitch that is 2 years old and never had pups ? and a blue fawn dog that was used for breeding, well she wants to go out there today after work to look at the 2 dogs for sale,

well my worrys are ,

1 , i hate the idea of buying from backyard breeders ? i know the person with the pups that the dog and bitch of the pups are very freindly, but they havent been checked y a vet or needled ? so parvo may be a big problem ?

the people with the 2 mature dogs, will they be hard to handle ? if there been penned up all there life , im not saying they have been but i know the guy breeds heaps of pups ? they said there dogs are needled and micro chiped ?

will they be the type to fight dogs in town ?

iv only ever had 2 staffys both were good with other dogs as i use to take them walking all the time,

sorry for the long post guys, what are your thoughts on theses dogs ?

what to look for and what to ask ?