Ford Territory Owners - What Are Your Cars Like?

lappiemum

Looking for advice from the collective wisdom and experience of DOLers who own or have owned a Ford Territory (later models). :shrug:

We are looking for a new dog car - needs to get around town but also tow a dog trailer and do the interstate traveling too. Am buying new because I hate getting someone else's problems LOL ;)

We are looking at the Ford territory, rear wheel drive. Given that we see a few Territories at dog shows ;) I thought I'd put a call out to see what people think and if there are any problems? A quick look on the internet came up with a problem in the pre 2009 models with the ball joints, but I don't know how common that was and if its now been fixed. What is everyone's experience?

Thanks!

I love mine. It's 5 years old now but has had no problems. I had to take it back for a recall and adjustment - I think that was something to do with the brakes, but it had no problems before or after this. I live in the country and don't do much city driving and find it doesn't use any more petrol than the average station wagon. If I drive in town with lots of stops at traffic lights, however it becomes a petrol guzzler. I've towed a horse float and a dog trailer in all kinds of weather and road conditions and it has been happy. It's very comfortable for long trips and I'm nowhere near as tired or stiff after long journeys as I have been with other cars. I had a cargo net fitted and the dogs are very happy in the back.

A thought for you.

I know you said you will buy new.. But also have a look at the government auctions. Most only have about 50,000km or less on them, and have balance of new car warranty.

Can save quite a few dollars and you do not necessarily inherit someone else's problem.

A thought for you.

I know you said you will buy new.. But also have a look at the government auctions. Most only have about 50,000km or less on them, and have balance of new car warranty.

Can save quite a few dollars and you do not necessarily inherit someone else's problem.

LOL I know about the auctions but I'd be a bit nervous - my dad worked as a manager in the public service and I know how much those cars get threashed! LOL

A thought for you.

LOL I know about the auctions but I'd be a bit nervous - my dad worked as a manager in the public service and I know how much those cars get threashed! LOL

LOL. Yes I worked 16 years for state government.. Now council. I know how some cars get thrashed, but occassionally there are some good ones that come up.

Depends on how far you will be travelling to and from shows.. Have a look at turbo diesel engines. It kinda limits out the territory I think. But engine life and fuel economy is much better.

We have a 2008 Territory, AWD though, not rear wheel drive.

We comfortably fit two adult Rottweilers in the back section (we have a cargo barrier), the back seats fold down and Molly is more than happy in there with her harness. If we need to take more than three dogs, we take the dog trailer, but two Rottweilers a Border Collie and some luggage is easily doable for us ;)

I love our Territory to bits, it's so comfortable to drive and has so much visibility - it was a big change to go from a Magna station wagon to the Territory and took a bit of getting used to being up so high in comparison :shrug:

Very easy to drive, and doesn't feel "big".

Downsides - fuel costs. Very expensive - we live country, although lots of windy roads so not as econonical as it would be with cruise control down a straight freeway, and I think we sit on around 12.7 litres per 100km. We get about 500km - 550km on a tank, and it's now costing us over $90 to fill up the tank, so it hurts when it comes to fuel because we go through 4 - 5 tanks per month (particularly coming from the Magna which was on gas!)

Tyres are expensive - we just paid around $1000 to get 4 new tyres, ouch!

We haven't had any mechanical problems - apart from Neo eating bits of the car he shouldn't.... The car has just had it's 90,000 km service, and we have an extended new car warranty (purchased used - ex Victorian police fleet - had under 50,000 on it and some new car warranty so we paid to extend it).

Just went though this. After looking at just about everything on the market, the top 2 were Ford Territory and the Toyota Kluger. (I also liked the Freelander).

It was a hard choice.

Pluses for Territory were

Very nice view from rear passenger seats.

Very comfy and roomy, leather

Quite smooth ride

Rear wheel drive.

Rear area good for crates.

Very perky, ok on fuel.

Negatives

Does not hold value very well

Ford in general not as reliable

No rear airconditioning, well it has a mid seat center vent that is blocked if you put down the seats.

Pluses for Toyota Kluger

Holds value really well.

Very lux, seats are super comfy and leather

Rear seats also very comfy

3 row seats also not too bad if you ever needed them.

3 aircondition areas, front mid and rear, front and rear have seperate controls, mid and rear vents are in roof and point down right were dog crates are, all this sold me for dog comfort on long trips.

Mid seats go down with one pull of a lever, wow so easy.

Very perky and the V6 is not bad on fuel.

Con's

Mid seats do not fold down totally flat.

We got the front wheel drive, I would have prefere rear. It also comes in all wheel but I wanted the better milage.

Ride is more stiff then Ford.

Freelander is worth a look. It drove well and was very well made.

I thought it was too expensive and it did not have rear air, that ended it for me.

For the money the Xtrail might be worth looking at. I found it too tight in the front, just not comfy for long trips. But a great value.

I got the Toyota and I love it.

Kluger KXS model with all leather and most of the bells and wistles as standard,

got the nudge bar, and front parking sensor and tow bar.

Just wanted to add, I found the cheapest place to buy it was Nowra Toyota and they deliver to most areas in NSW and maybe Vic?? (and were still cheaper than anyone else), so give them a look on price before you buy.

Look on carsales. com to shop for good prices on new cars.

Edited by shortstep

Ford Territory now comes with a Turbo Diesel engine - but is very exxy on fuel (13L/100Km highway driving, up to 18L/100Km round town)

I just upgraded to a Mazda CX-9. Oh how I love it. It's got heaps of room, huge boot that fits a dog crate and matress, Kuma, luggage... 7 seats - my 6'4" hubby can sit in the rear seats (just). Rear aircon. sat nav, blue tooth, reversing camera, all the bells and whistles! I am getting good fuel economy (mid 13L/100Km round town, got down to about 11L/100Km on highway driving). it's just under 2 weeks old so the fuel economy will improve.

Worth a look in my opinion :)

We love our Territory! Wouldn't swap it for anything else.

We bought ours new at the end of 2009. We fit a Great Dane in the back with a cargo barrier and have a crate for our Vizsla on the back seats which lay completely flat when folded. We manage to fit gazebo and all the usual stuff in as well. Everyone is very comfy! Love all the storage compartments that we can fill with dog stuff :)

We just recently bought a Territory and I love love love it loads of room and as someone else said lots of pockets and cubby holes its fab :)

Not looking forward to having to buy new tyres though $1000!!! :cheers:

I don't have a Ford Territory but have recently purchased a Mitsibushi Outlander. At the moment we're getting about 7.1-7.7 lt/100km on the freeway using cruise control and between 9.8-10.6 lt/100km round town.

We comfortably fit 2 Aussie Shepherds in the back. Comes with a 5yr warranty so that was the clincher for us over the XTrail and Territory.

My husband and son are both mechanics and both are fans of the Territory. My son owns one and loves it - no mechanical problems, although when he takes it on the beach (yes, on the beach and never bogged) it does chew through the fuel.

So mechanically I think you're pretty safe with a Territory and to me they seem very spacious inside :laugh:

I wish I could have a brand new car, but alas finances do not allow this!!! So I ended up with a Mazda Tribute, which is great for me.

But I did get to drive a Kluger for several days, and I would have to say if I was going for something brand new it would be this. It was just great to drive, good visibility, great space. Worth looking at.

I can vouch for their comfort - Diva chauffeurs me to shows from time to time. :eek:

Yep, so I can report that it fits 2 Borzoi, a very special Whippet, a princess Toy Poodle, 2 Showies, a large x pen, a show trolley, a gazebo, gazebo sides, a large mat, water container, bowls, chairs, grooming boxes, 2 Macca drive through coffees ........ :laugh:

I can vouch for their comfort - Diva chauffeurs me to shows from time to time. :thumbsup:

Yep, so I can report that it fits 2 Borzoi, a very special Whippet, a princess Toy Poodle, 2 Showies, a large x pen, a show trolley, a gazebo, gazebo sides, a large mat, water container, bowls, chairs, grooming boxes, 2 Macca drive through coffees ........ :laugh:

And our luggage! ;)

(Perhaps I shouldn't mention the time the Toy Poodle threw up on me and then begged for Twisties :eek:)