Ideal Dog Trailer

Bisart Dobes

Ok, so my partner & his brother are seriously sourcing trailer making components in the view to have a business up and running by the end of the year. With 30+ years in fabrication the technical side will not be an issue and the finish / end detail will be the best.

I have made up a list of what components my ideal trailer will have (I will get the first one :) & a very good friend is in line for the second) which we will use as prototypes / advertising etc etc

I was just hoping to get a list together of what dog people want in their trailers to give them so that they have a solid base to work from & would love the input of anyone interested.

The safety side will be taken care of - but feel free to list all of those requirements, what is necessary to you and what is dream material.

Safety

Must Haves

Dream Haves (if $$ no object :laugh:).

Thanks & I look forward to compiling your responses for them.

Edited by Bisart Dobes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so my partner & his brother are seriously sourcing trailer making components in the view to have a business up and running by the end of the year. With 30+ years in fabrication the technical side will not be an issue and the finish / end detail will be the best.

I have made up a list of what components my ideal trailer will have (I will get the first one :) & a very good friend is in line for the second) which we will use as prototypes / advertising etc etc

And I get the 3rd, it's called the GET - Giant Extra Tall version :laugh:

If money were no object I'd like an automatic reverse feature :laugh:

Oh me too :bolt:

What I want to know is why I can reverse the Ftruck with a gooseneck on the back with my eyes closed but always have bimbi moments reversing my itty bitty single axle trailer with my wagon :):bolt::laugh::laugh:

If money were no object I'd like an automatic reverse feature :laugh:

:laugh: practice is free - but little beepers would be nice :laugh:

What I would like and what I can afford unfortunately are not the same thing. But aerodynamics for fuel economy, sizable berths, double lock mesh doors (just in case) built in wardrobe plus crate rack on front (just in case you need extras), rear bumper to protect when reversing with 2 spares mounted on it. Solid section at the bottom of the inner walls to prevent blankets or objects being stolen. Another storage section to allow for 2 berths being blocked off for a dog or for a bitch in season. Oh and all this on dual axle to allow for easier reversing and if you get a flat tyre not far from home you can still go home and fix the flat later. Water tank so you can have access to fresh water without carrying bottles all the time and the usual safety features that are necessary. All that at an affordable price would be lovely. :)

ETA changes: forget about the crate rack on front if that would affect the aerodynamics, just make sure the wardrobe is a good size.

Edited by Andisa

Solid section at the bottom of the inner walls to prevent blankets or objects being stolen.

YES!!

Another storage section to allow for 2 berths being blocked off for a dog or for a bitch in season.

Option for solid wall between the two sides would be nice - right down the length of the trailer or just 2 bays if a 6-8 berth - travelling two dogs/bitches which don't like each other is impossible for me in our 4 berth with it's mesh dividers

trailer cam, so I can see what the beasties are up to :)

Umbrella holders near the birth doors so Umbrellas can be put up to shade said beasties. Or a roll out awning on each side and economically priced as well!

Internal drainage holes for hygenie

Cheers Kate

PS Good Luck

For a small trailer I would like a wardrobe running the length of the trailer not crosswise. A 3 berth with a lengthwise wardrobe with a door on the end, not the side so I can slide my large gazebo in. Plus fit all the extra's

trailer cam, so I can see what the beasties are up to :)

Umbrella holders near the birth doors so Umbrellas can be put up to shade said beasties. Or a roll out awning on each side and economically priced as well!

Cheers Kate

PS Good Luck

Great ideas! Definately awnings!

* Longer drawbar to make reversing easier.

* Trolley carrier

* Water holder (like Jerry can size)

Hopefully you'll be up and running early next year - I'll be able to afford my 2-3berth trailer by then! I want one with all the bells and whistles :rofl:

And I get the 3rd, it's called the GET - Giant Extra Tall version :cheer:

:cry: No issue, custom sizes are a must I've told them.

If money were no object I'd like an automatic reverse feature :)

Oh me too :cheer:

What I want to know is why I can reverse the Ftruck with a gooseneck on the back with my eyes closed but always have bimbi moments reversing my itty bitty single axle trailer with my wagon :cry::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Perhaps we will run classes until someone invents cruise control reverse :) . A long drawbar is also a must for ease of reversing . . .

If money were no object I'd like an automatic reverse feature :)

:cheer: practice is free - but little beepers would be nice :cheer:

What I would like and what I can afford unfortunately are not the same thing. But aerodynamics for fuel economy, sizable berths, double lock mesh doors (just in case) built in wardrobe plus crate rack on front (just in case you need extras), rear bumper to protect when reversing with 2 spares mounted on it. Solid section at the bottom of the inner walls to prevent blankets or objects being stolen. Another storage section to allow for 2 berths being blocked off for a dog or for a bitch in season. Oh and all this on dual axle to allow for easier reversing and if you get a flat tyre not far from home you can still go home and fix the flat later. Water tank so you can have access to fresh water without carrying bottles all the time and the usual safety features that are necessary. All that at an affordable price would be lovely. :cry:

ETA changes: forget about the crate rack on front if that would affect the aerodynamics, just make sure the wardrobe is a good size.

Funnily enough you have just almost described their idea of a base model. Price we will hopefully be able to keep in a reasonable bracket that depends on products sourced but these will be topline trailers - they will not consider making anything on the cheap.

Solid section at the bottom of the inner walls to prevent blankets or objects being stolen.

YES!!

Another storage section to allow for 2 berths being blocked off for a dog or for a bitch in season.

Option for solid wall between the two sides would be nice - right down the length of the trailer or just 2 bays if a 6-8 berth - travelling two dogs/bitches which don't like each other is impossible for me in our 4 berth with it's mesh dividers

This is on the list as well - but a removable one or as many as required.

trailer cam, so I can see what the beasties are up to :cry:

Cheers Kate

PS Good Luck

Yep, Cam is something that I would love to have - like in the horse floats. But how distracting would that be while you were driving ??? and imagine if the police pulled you up :) .

You would definately need the one with the intercom :cheer:.

Awnings from centre of trailer is their idea . . .