How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?

Elenbah

TBH I didn't buy mine from registered breeders - I didn't know much about BYB and registered breeders before I joined this forum so I just went onto the trading post or other puppy websites to find my two babies.

Max was the first, I found the breeders on the trading post and they were lovely and lived on a big property in Castlereagh (near Penrith) and my OH and I went there and they had three GSD with a lot of puppies - beautiful dogs that were clearly well looked after and loved. We bought

ax for $290 - but he hadn't been vaccinated or wormed or flea'd - but that was okay with us.

Jenna was next and we also found her on the trading post. I went to a guys property in Horsley Park and he has literally about 35 dogs - a mixture between GSD and JRT - however all of them looked quite healthy and happy. We bought Jenna for $400 because she was the runt (the others were going for $550) and I research it on the net before I got her and all evidence suggested that German shepherd runts normally end up the same size as its litter mates anyway. So we bought her and she was wormed and flea'd and had had her first vaccination.

I was pretty impressed with those prices - especially since they were purebred - BUT i didnt get paperws - I didnt think I needed them bec ause I wasn't going to breed or show them... But they are gorgeous dogs. And I got to meet the mum and dad both times and mum and dad were all in good health.

When ie what year did people buy their dogs also (as this will reflect on price also.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we started looking for another dog a couple of years ago I had no idea of the prices - we fell in love with a particular breed and then found out the price :) I must admit that I was really shocked as our previous dogs had been rescues or non pedigrees. I have since found out that the price we paid was very reasonable for that breed.

We paid $850 for Sally and $1250 for Bert 2 years ago.

Bert was the going rate, Sally was more expensive than black and white border collies at the time.

Breeder charged more for 'coloured' puppies- thought this was the done thing at the time, know better now.

Got mine from the same registered breeder.

Bubby was at a bargain bin price! Breeder just wanted to find someone who would spoil him and be his slave! He was 11 months old, beautiful (with the perfect muzzle/face that I love in a golden), toilet trained, lead trained, didn’t chew, didn’t bark. He was a great beginner’s dog!

Bitty was normal price for the breed at the time. I think price has gone up now. She is my perfect little puppy! Sunshine and rainbows! Delightful, amazing little thing who is everything she should be and more! I’d be happy to pay any amount to have the same kind of experience again!

Bubby was at a bargain bin price! Breeder just wanted to find someone who would spoil him and be his slave! He was 11 months old, beautiful (with the perfect muzzle/face that I love in a golden), toilet trained, lead trained, didn’t chew, didn’t bark. He was a great beginner’s dog!

Bitty was normal price for the breed at the time. I think price has gone up now. She is my perfect little puppy! Sunshine and rainbows! Delightful, amazing little thing who is everything she should be and more! I’d be happy to pay any amount to have the same kind of experience again!

alright guv! I've got one - $1000,000 and she's yours :)

When ie what year did people buy their dogs also (as this will reflect on price also.

Not necessarily - one of my sisters and her husband paid $800 for their male Rottweiler over 20 yrs ago and that was a reduced price (mates rates) from a registered breeder. We all thought they were nuts paying that back then but that dog was rock solid in build and nature - stunning dog. That was also back in the days when mutt was a mutt and was either given away free or sold for stuff all.

I am sure they were not the only ones who paid a decent price for a pup back then but going on those prices looks like the Registered Breeder has missed the boat - "accidental litters" (BYB) have gone from free/cheap to above the average Registered Breeders prices and some people seem to think that Registered Breeders are ripping them off - go figure.. :)

Edited by Andisa

I paid about $300 for Sasha (from rescue)... I think I got a bargain, she's worth much, much more. :)

Chloe - I paid $400 for from a BYB. Maybe not an expensive pup in the grand scheme of things, but her price came at a cost. She's gone on to cost over $30,000 in health costs. While I wouldn't buy BYB ever again, I wouldn't change Chloe for any amount of money in the world (unless someone could make her healthier) and I don't regret the last 13 years that she has been the best friend to me and my family that we could have asked for.

I paid pretty much the same in 1982 for my first puppy as I did for my last two in 2006 and 2007. All the same breed, main registered, and easily titled in the show ring.

I find that pretty amazing, and certainly not too expensive.

this March.. $3,000.00 including health testing, main register, 6 year guarantee, docked tail, transport, champion bloodlines and full breeder support.

I do not think it is much.

I think that's about the going rate for a good quality doberman. As most people here know, my 'dobe' is not a full dobe, and consequently I got him very cheaply -$350 (we just fell in love with his family and agreed with what the breeder was trying to achieve, but I'm not trying to promote that - obviously it's a personal thing).

Point is though, we have been asked on many occasions what we paid for him, and also asked several times if we were interested in selling (not always joking :s) and we started asking people what they think he's worth. Most people have said upwards of 3k. We were also offered $1500 to use him as a stud but of course declined.

I would expect to pay that much for a dobe with European/American bloodlines and working titled parents. We are now looking at adding a white shepherd to our family, and will happily pay up to $2000 for the right puppy and looks like we're also going to be hit by transport costs since there are none in SA :)

8 years ago our Lab was bought from a pet store for $1200 and he was reduced becasue he had been there so long.

All of the Samoyeds have cost roughly the same amount, each getting a little bit more expensive by a 100 or so.

My latest Sammie however was sold on mates rates otherwise he would have been the most expensive but I would have paid twice the asking price for a dog with his lines.

alright guv! I've got one - $1000,000 and she's yours :cry:

I very much doubt you have THIS puppy :) :

post-14290-1302769028_thumb.jpg

Although it wasn't my original intention to ask everybody HOW MUCH they paid for their pet, people are obviously happy to tell and that's OK.......

I see here some have paid less but some have paid more but the impression I am getting is that everyone of them was worth paying for and would be happy to pay for a loyal and loving pet.....

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :cry::) down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I am not wanting to criticize here or anything, I was just wondering if people really know what goes into producing that happy healthy pet and would people think differently if they did....

Although it wasn't my original intention to ask everybody HOW MUCH they paid for their pet, people are obviously happy to tell and that's OK.......

I see here some have paid less but some have paid more but the impression I am getting is that everyone of them was worth paying for and would be happy to pay for a loyal and loving pet.....

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :cry::) down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I am not wanting to criticize here or anything, I was just wondering if people really know what goes into producing that happy healthy pet and would people think differently if they did....

I think the thing is that you're talking to the converted here - we all know that the price we pay now guarantees us a healthy pet. Whereas others outside this forum don't know - they think "oh I could buy that from the guy down the road for so much cheaper" and don't realise that they're not getting a quality animal that's healthy and comes with a lifetime of breeder support.

Unfortunately I got both my dogs before I knew about DOL and registered breeders. I've learnt slot!

My cocker came from a "breeder" with papers but no health testing. I paid $750 for her which I understand now is quite cheap. My beagle X cocker came from a pet shop (never again, I know better) and she cost $300.

Obviously I adore my girls and wouldn't change them for the world but since joining DOL I have realized my mistakes and will always go through an ethical registered breeder in future.

I think the price I paid for both of mine, Rommi in 2008 and Lewis at 8 months in 2009, was an absolute bargain.

The price of Whippets is generally on the lower end of the scale compared to many, and I would of paid more than I did happily.

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :):cheer: down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I think the thing is that you're talking to the converted here - we all know that the price we pay now guarantees us a healthy pet. Whereas others outside this forum don't know - they think "oh I could buy that from the guy down the road for so much cheaper" and don't realise that they're not getting a quality animal that's healthy and comes with a lifetime of breeder support.

Nope, no guarantees. Sure, there's more chance that a dog from a registered breeder will be healthy, but it's only a chance.

I've lost count of the number of people I know with registered purebreds that have an assortment of health problems.

I probably paid too much for my first 'show potential' purebred. Her 'potential' never really surfaced. On saying that, I love her to bits and wouldn't change her for the world. The 'lifetime' of breeder support lasted until I desexed her :cry:

Yeah, I still email her breeder updates. Only now I don't look for a reply as I know one won't appear.