Stud Fees

Zensu

Curiosity question....

When you use an outside stud, or have your dog used by someone, when do you expect the stud fee to change hands??

At mating? birth of puppies? when puppies leave home??

Just want some opinions before i start jumping up and down LOL

In Victoria when you use a stud dog the paperwork is supposed to be signed and given to the bitch owner at the time of mating. Hence you would in that case expect to have to pay a stud fee at time of breeding unless you had prior arrangements. I would also expect to get a copy of a stud agreement prior to the breeding so that I would be happy to go ahead with the stud of choice or look for another if I didn't wish to comply with the stud contract.

Edited to add the outside stud dogs that I have used payment was made at time of the breeding.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I think it depends on how well you know/trust the owner of the stud dog or the bitch your boy is going over. We have always done at the sale of first pup......

so I would probably be jumping up and down a bit........

Edited by AdoubleJ

My own dogs - fee at time of mating.

Other people's dogs I prefer to pay the fee at the time of mating but if the stud dog owner prefers to wait until pregnancy has been confirmed that's OK too - I don't get any paperwork until the fee is paid anyway.

I take stud fee at time of mating and then hand over the paperwork - would be more flexible on this with friends I trust and offer to wait until pups born or first one sold (although what happens if only one pup and breeder keeps it???)

In the past I have used a couple of dogs and the owners have prefered to keep paperwork until pups are born and then pay stud fee.

I know some stud owners take a percentage at time of mating and then so much per live pup.

No matter if it is at the time of mating, when the puppies are born or before they are registered, you should never sign the service certificate without being paid unless it is you very best friend in the world. Even people you think you know quite well can stuff you around once that service certificate is signed.

With people I don't know I ask for payment at the tiem of the mating. With those I know, I am happy to be paid any time between birth and registration.

No matter if it is at the time of mating, when the puppies are born or before they are registered, you should never sign the service certificate without being paid unless it is you very best friend in the world. Even people you think you know quite well can stuff you around once that service certificate is signed.

With those I know, I am happy to be paid any time between birth and registration.

I agree with this Dancinbcs but I usually wouldnt accept money until after 6 weeks ish incase the whole litter have some freak health problem and die (just paranoia, I know it's really not likely and I know he has still done his job and produced the litter but I would feel to bad to accept any money if no live pups left :) )

Well I am going to give a reply that may shock many of you. (What's unusually about that LOL)

Always remember that you pay for the use of the dog, if you get a result that's all well and good,

if you don't a free return is usually offered.

Hey people I'm with you.

Whatever agreement you make get it in writing and stick to it, even if it hurts.

I have been lucky, I have dealt with great breeders/stud dog owners

I have paid when either the pups are born or when deposits have been made. The paperwork was filled in at the time of mating, but not handed to me until they received stud fee.

I knew what I was up for BEFORE any mating took place.

I know the arguments for paying at time and what you are paying for and all that.. That you are only paying for a service, not live puppies, but even for me and my dog getting used.. It is nothing for him getting is rocks off.. If no puppies are born.. nothing lost.. Although something with me.. I would like to see at least a couple of puppies born in order to take a stud fee. I personally do not feel comfortable with taking a full stud fee and no puppies resultant. If a bitch boards then, there is boarding costs.. but not a stud fee.

When my dog was used. Same deal. They did not get the signed form until payment was received.

I see both sides to the story. But I think if you have decent owners/breeders on both sides, it does help.

The only outside stud I have used was agreed to pay when the first puppy sold. When the pups were born the stud owner asked if we could change to a puppy instead of payment which I was fine with.

If I ever let my dog out for stud I would expect payment between pups birth and selling the first pup. I wouldn't feel right taking a stud fee with no pups resulting unless I was positive my boy wasn't the cause for no pups. In saying that I don't think I would allow my dog to be used with the same bitch as I would expect the same result so a waste of time but a different bitch owned by the same people would be fine.