Do You Have Heating Pads For Your Dogs?

Isabel964

Do you have heating pads for your dogs?

I'm in Melbourne - Geez its freezing here ATM!! Anyway, wondering if anyone has heating pads for the dogs. Are they safe?

Mine love heat. Wondering if its spoiling them too much if I get them. I have the central heating at 19 degrees at night to keep the chill from the air, but its still cold.

I was thinking about ordering two of these large pads called Pet Mats towards the bottom of the pageHeating Pads

Do you have a brand to recommend? Anything I should be wary of?

Edited by Sky

I've got 4 heated pet beds, 2 big enough for the greys, 2 which are supposed to be for the cats but they all share.

What size/brand are the greyhound sized ones Rebanne...I really need one for my old girl...she seems to hate wearing coats but it's getting too cold for her to go without something, so I thought a heating pad might be the answer.

I use thick coats and Snuggle safe disks, but they are quite a bit smaller than yours! The old Stafford has a 12v pet bed from Red Dot

I used a snuggle safe disk with a recent litter, it was great stay wwarm for ages and no leads. I also have 2 of the heat pads with the quilted covers on the link, they were good but did get abit too hot at times.

I tried one, once. It was a cheap one. My dogs hate it. I've tried them in a boarding kennel, and often come out to find the dog has slept on the floor instead of the bed to avoid the heating pad. Maybe a better one would have had a different outcome. Or maybe thick coated dogs don't like them. Dunno.

I have a huge heated pet bed and my girl loves it. She probably doesn't need it, but she's arthritic and every morning I'd wake to find her curled up as tight as she could possibly get and she'd always try to hog the heater so I figured I'd spoil her a little... now it's hard for me to get her off the heated bed! :laugh: It wasn't too expensive and was a worthy investment for her comfort, I think.

Edited by silentchild

I tried one, once. It was a cheap one. My dogs hate it. I've tried them in a boarding kennel, and often come out to find the dog has slept on the floor instead of the bed to avoid the heating pad. Maybe a better one would have had a different outcome. Or maybe thick coated dogs don't like them. Dunno.

Many coated breeds would hate a heated bed. They don't even like kennels much because they just get too hot. Smooth coats however feel the cold and either need an enclosed bed like a kennel/soft crate or a very warm bed to snuggle into.

The only time I have used a heating panel with a Border Collie was with an old arthritic girl who had arthritis in her legs but not her back. I put the heating panel on bricks under one side of her frame bed so she could keep her body off the heat but drape her legs over it. Worked a treat and she was much more mobile in the mornings because she could keep her legs warm without having to tuck them under her. I have had other oldies that would go and lie on the concrete laundry floor if the heating was on in the house and wouldn't have anything to do with a warm bed. Most of my dogs have rarely even slept curled up, prefering to stretch out even in cold weather.

I've got a large size heated pet mat for sale in the marketplace section - only been used for a couple of hours so as good as brand new. I bought it to use with puppies but have decided to get a heated whelping box

I have a heat mat the one from Sams Warehouse I think I paid about $35 for it at the end of winter. I don't think it is really warm enough, when Smooch is laying on it I have put my hand under him and doesn't feel very warm to me. Possible for most dogs it would be fine, but I don't know. I have it set up on the lounge for Smooch who really feels the cold (Kelpie who had a spinal stroke) ATM he is on it, has a jacket on and a blanket over all that. Last night he was on the electric blanket in my bed under the covers. He never moved from there all night.