Hunt For Vicious Dog After Pony Killed

Swiss Girl

The owner of an elderly pony found mauled to death on Saturday morning is calling for help to find a vicious dog still on the loose.

City of Mandurah rangers are now investigating a dog attack in Herron, south of Mandurah, in which an elderly pony called Crystal was found with its throat ripped out.

Owner Janice Tetlow was left distraught by the attack after she found her over 30-year-old pet pony - a favourite with her grandchildren - lying dead just 200m from her house on the semi-rural property.

"It must have happened any time after midnight, as I had checked on her as she hadn't been well, I saw she had fallen and my first thought was that she'd had a seizure," she said.

Mrs Tetlow said the grisly scene was "appalling".

"I dropped my cup of coffee and just ran screaming to the house, I was incoherent, its throat was torn out and she never stood a chance.

"It was like a road accident."

Mrs Tetlow is calling for help as she fears the dog could next seriously harm a small child.

"If it could do that to a 300kg horse … I don't want to think what it could do a child," she said.

Council rangers had been out to investigate the death and were now searching for the dog and its owner, she said.

Anyone with information is urged to call the City of Mandurah on 9550 3630

Such a terrible shock for the owner, lots hope they find the dog quickly.

Poor pony- not a nice way to go at all. I would think it more than one dog? Would need to be a huge dog to take down a pony alone! ..or perhaps the pony did die of a seizure,and the dog/s fed on the body?

Horrible for the owner to find, whatever happened :(

I would think if they had fed on the body they wouldn't have torn her throat out as there would have been no need.

There was a small pony down here severly attacked by one large breed. I certainly do think a large breed single dog could kill and elderly pony, especially on that had been unwell.

That poor poor lady. She will never get that image out of her head now.

Poor Crystal and poor owner. What a horrible thing to happen to any animal.

It doesn't take a particularly large dog to bring down a horse if they do it "right", so an elderly unwell pony, probably relaxed and snoozing would be relatively easy game.

It must have happened very quickly if no one heard anything and Crystal was only 200m from the house.

They only found tracks of one dog which made them believe it was a lone dog. I hope the dog is found and the owner euthanized.Especially after not coming forward when thier dog came home covered in blood and all the news coverage started. :mad

RIP Crystal... :(

Have to agree with everyone, poor old lady and pony!! but saying that "imagine what it could do to a child", really has nothing to do with it IMO.

It truly could do harm to a child but in all likelihood probably wouldn't happen.. ie many DA dogs, hunting dogs know the difference between animals and people... of course there are exceptions to the rule, but imagine the damage any dog could do to a child, because really that statement can apply to all dogs.

The dog does need turning in though and the owner charged.

What a shocking thing to happen to the poor pony and the owner, but I hope in search of the culprit that they find the "right" dog and not condemn the first dog they find wandering or has the geographical potential to have committed the attack.