What Would Your Breed Of Choice Have Been Fed Traditionally?

Cattle dogs.... I'd say they foraged on the testicals and tails when it was castration and mulesing time, eewwwww.

On the whole they would have been fed a very meat based diet, with sick livestock not suitable for human consumption slaughtered for them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I would imagine border collies ate back in the borders of England & Scotland, sheep. ;)

Pre-killed of course by the shephards. :laugh:

And here I was thinking it would be oatmeal and haggis.

And Scotch Finger biscuits washed down with single malt. ;)

Border Collies ate whatever the shepherds family ate, so mutton, rabbit, salmon, chicken, milk, eggs, oatmeal, barley and maybe even leftover haggis would have been on the menu. Vegetables and fruit when it was available would also have been among the tablescraps served up and it is probably why most Borders will eat just about anything served up to them, like a varied diet and have a passion for fruit and veges. Mine all love parsnip and stonefruit but I don't know where the mango fits into this theory :rofl: . Haven't tried them on whisky but they love shortbread. :D

Hugo is a Swedish Vallhund, and these are traditionally known as the "Viking dogs", so I think they were originally fed off a diet of the English, probably.

It is an interesting question, and the obvious follow up would be and is that food readily available today?

Scottish herding dogs in the late 1800's had a daily dish of porridge (usually wholegrain crushed baked oats soaked in unpasturised fresh milk) supplemented several times a week with a snared rabbit or wildfowl caught by the shepherd and fed whole, unskinned/unplucked, uncooked plus leavings and offal from home-slaughtered livestock, and thrived , working hard, on that diet.

You should not, however, mistake the cereal by-products used in extruded dog kibble as the same type of cereal, nor should you mistake the hormone-stuffed, antibiotic-stuffed skin, bone, gristle, and a teensy amount of muscle from a factory raised meat chook (labelled as chicken on the ingredients list) as real meat.

It is important to remove the baby before you toss out the bathwater, but please do toss the water - else toxic algae will grow in it and mosquitoes will breed...

Sibes traditionally had to survive on little food while still running for long long distances, and this is still in the breed today. We closely monitor Akira's food intake, because she doesn't need much at all and if she gets too much she puts on weight easily. Their food would have been meat, primarily small animals caught themselves/by their humans.

Fish or seal might also feature. It does suggest that Sibes might be expected to be more tolerant of a high protein, high fat, less cereal based diet than many other breeds.

Yes, definitely, didn't think of that. And I think that's definitely the case - Akira has issues with chicken, which would be fairly unlikely to survive in such a cold climate, but she thrives on her new salmon based kibble. We keep her cereals down, and she gets a small amount of kibble and then raw mixed in at every meal.

My limited googling suggests reindeer as the predominant staple in Siberia. :)

As for chihuahuas, hmm maybe tacos? :laugh:

Guest Pandii

Shar Peis are another intresting breed, that doesnt do well on certain foods, there are far more experienced Shar pei poeple on here that can go in to detail

Tibetan Terriers in their native country of Tibet, were given Yak butter, Yak fat, and on the rare occasions Yak meat and a type of staple bread called Tsampa, also for their veges they would dig up and eat the roots of whatever plants they found.

Samoyeds would have had a diet consisting mainly of deer as this was the main food source for the tribesmen they lived and worked with.

They also would have eaten fish, seal, small game such as rabbits and mice, and on occasion bear.

Every now and then I've been able to get venison offcuts for them and they loved it.

miniature schnauzer?

sauerkraut!

Pork! There are pork-based kibbles from USA and my little one did so well on those. But I can't find them here. I do give him roast pork almost every week. He loves his pork.

And knackwurst :)

Mmmm...well since GSD's were used for herding and guarding sheep, I would take a guess as what ever the farmers of the time ate including lamb cuts, table scraps, small game etc. But she does seem to love fresh salmon off cuts....mmmmmm..... :)