Storage Of Kibbles

giraffez

I have containers i got from Nestle years ago, they use them to store the dye in it (i think?) had a friend working there who got me a heap.

Both dogs are on different foods, and then i have the cats in one as well. Never had problems with food going off in them

I;m currently using Hills containers on wheels - they are great and fit nicely under a table to keep them otu the way...wheel them out when i need them :) I have two large GSD's so...food doesn't get a chance to go off/stale :rofl:

ETA - i use a proplan metal container for my cat food - seals nicely and i buy in bulk for my cats - but never had a problem with the food going off or stale :)

Edited by KitKat

the best things to use (if you dont have masses of the stuff lol) is the food grade white tubs with the clip on lids.

Your food smells in summer more because the heat and air are making the oils in the food go rancid slightly. Keep it in the cupboard or laundry or somewhere cool and out of the light to keep it fresh, and with a tight fitting lid

Something like this may be handy Scoop 'n' Store

I know other people use the brightly coloured small 'garbage' bins that you get for under $20 from Cheap shops (the ones that look like smaller council bins).

I've been told recently that Rubbermaid are no longer going to be making their "Scoop n Store". Having said that, some pet stores have got really good specials on them at the moment, possibly for this reason.

the best things to use (if you dont have masses of the stuff lol) is the food grade white tubs with the clip on lids.

Your food smells in summer more because the heat and air are making the oils in the food go rancid slightly. Keep it in the cupboard or laundry or somewhere cool and out of the light to keep it fresh, and with a tight fitting lid

I just bought one of these on Friday. $11.00 from Mitre 10. :D It was hard to find know if the other plastic containers were food grade. At least this one stated that on the actual container. I get a bit sus of plastic and the chemicals.

We store ours in 2 x 20kg plastic boxes with snaplock lids. We designed our pantry so that the lower part will fit these boxes perfectly, then the shelf above them is handy for placing the bowls as I fill each one.

Ours never smells, the pantry is cool and dark and the containers are pretty much airtight.

zip lock pack and store space saver bags, you know the kind you stick jumpers and whatnot in and squeeze all the air out of. better than a bucket IMO. I had all sorts of buckets, from the brand type dog food freebies, bulk honey buckets, blue olive oil barrels all that waste of space.

space savers all the way now days.

yeah i'm currently using the plastic rectangular box like containers you get at kmart. Doesnt smell until you lift up the lid.

I was thinking an airtight one would be good to keep the kibbles fresh. Takes about 3 months for mine to finish a 15kg pack. The scoop n store looks good, if there are any you know that are on special in sydney, please let me know, the original price seems a bit expensive. Had a look in the US for some and they have a lot of varieties and very cheap too.... too bad the shipping is so expensive.

Are there any with two seperated compartments? My two dogs eat different brands.

Edited by giraffez

The only problem I have had with the large plastic lidded boxes is that, if kept outside, they perish and the lid shatters. I also use a lockable garbage bin but you have to keep an eye on the dogs as they think nothing of jumping up on the feed table and trying to knock the bin off it (which effectively unlocks it without opposible thumbs giving them an all you can eat buffet!)

I've just got myself a large plastic barrel from a girl who gets them for free from where she works. They're fantastic, all she asks for is a small donation of food for the Animal Aid at Coldstream. I saw the same barrels for sale at a pet place for $29.95!