Calling A New Puppy The Same Name As A Dog That Has Passed Away.

Baileys mum

I wouldn't personally name a dog after another dog, or if I did there would be

quite a few years between OR it came to me with the name already.

I do know some people that stick with the same name. Childhood friends

STILL call their dogs after their very first dog and they always have the

same breed.

At least I never forget what to call their dog!

ETA...My very first dog that was my very very very own, was named after the

first family dog who was shared. This was in honour of the first incarnation

of the name, cos as a Toddler I LOVED that dog sooooo much and was distraught

the day he died. He was even called Roger Dog the 2nd.

Edited by Dory the Doted One

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I would do this, but I did. When my dear old girl, Sascha, was PTS I has already arranged to get a bitch puppy from her granddaughter so I named the puppy Sascha, in memory of her great-grandmother.

Edited by poodlemum

I have used the same name for a dog(different breed) but the 1st dog has been deceased for 27 years now so I dont have an issue with that. Other than that we have never used the same name twice. We have had so many dogs over 40 years and as far as I can remember we havent doubled up. Would I use another already used name again? Yes I would, but only after much concideration for the one that has passed.

I have had many different pets, horses,cows, dogs and cats with many different names. But at one stage I owned two ponys called Jacky (and they both came with the names!)

But the strange thing is ALL my life there has been a ginger and white male cat called Bini. At age 50 I now own Bini VI, pehaps a 'familiar' of sorts.

I wouldn't - but I used to work with a guy that had owned at least 6 dogs (one after the other), of the same name, same sex, same cross breed, same colour and similar markings...

I really couldn't understand it!!!

Yeah it's hard to understand why people do this.

Is it because they miss the dog that died so much that by getting a new puppy of the same breed, sex, colouring & giving it the same name going to make them feel that they haven't lost their dog afterall?

Or do they just really love that name?

Or are they just too lazy to think up a new name?

Like others have said in this thread...it just seems a little creepy, every new puppy deserves their own identity. :)

I didn't think I'd ever do this either, but I named a puppy I kept from my last litter the same name as my first Golden Retriever. This dog is a different breed and the Golden has been gone for 20 years. I just liked the name and they're both beautiful dogs. :)

We have done so ... we lost our wonderful worker "Dulcie" around 18 mths ago to snakebite. We now have another wonderful worker, a sister to Dulcie, ..also called Dulcie :) She is remarkably similar in temperament and working style .. body shape ..and general pig headeness, and originally had another name ... but Dulcie she became :)

We have only done this a few times ..and it is a sort of homage , I guess, to the previous carrier of the name .

Edited by persephone

Cause I had nothing else to do I just wrote down names for 48 of our dogs(there are also a few I cant remember) over the last 40 years.

And there was one other double up. But that was a boy that came to us as a three year old with the same name.

And looking at the list there would actually only be a couple of names I would use again. The rest of them, never.

That is also with 8 different breeds, not just one or two breeds.

Oh and both our parrots are named after dogs we have previously had

Edited by Bullbreedlover

My Grandfather had a Mini Dachshund called Monty. It was only when I was in my mid 20's that I realised that there were three Montys! One passed away when I was a toddler, one when I was in my teens (I didn't know at the time) and then one in my 20's. Though it seems I was the only one that didn't know that they were Monty I, II and III

I have never reused names for dogs but I did with a horse when we lost the mother 4 days later. She had many complications and at first we thought we would lose the foal, she survived but unfortunately the mare didn't. When talking about naming the foal mum suggested to name her after her mother - so we did. I never thought much of it, but it did seem like a tribute to name the orphan after her mum.

OK so in THEORY I wouldn't do it - though I know many who have. In my case it seems to be a country thing. But seriously how often have I called the new dog by the dead dogs name - usually in a panic. :o It might make sense to just keep the name the same as I can't see my new dog recalling in a state of excitment when I can't be trusted to use remember its proper name...

My Grandfather had a Mini Dachshund called Monty. It was only when I was in my mid 20's that I realised that there were three Montys! One passed away when I was a toddler, one when I was in my teens (I didn't know at the time) and then one in my 20's. Though it seems I was the only one that didn't know that they were Monty I, II and III

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think I could do it, but I have thought about it on occasion. I have a cat who is my baby, and I gave her a name that I really like. If I hadn't named this cat by this name, I would have used it for a different pet. So if I ever re-use the name, it will be because I really like it, and also because it is now extra special to me because it's the name of my special cat, and using the name again is not disrespecting her, but rather honouring her. Like when you name human children after their grandparents. There is no disrespect intended.

I do know someone who uses the same name for every cat they own, but I don't know their reasons.

My mum's dog she had while growing up was called Christy, she died when I was 2. When we got our family dog when I was 8 she looked similar to Christy, even though it was a different cross breed (border collie x lab compared to border collie x german shepherd)and we called her Crystal in memory of Christy...

I wouldn't call them the same name but would use a nickname I called a dog. For e.g Lilly's nickname was China (no idea why.. my dad started calling her that when I was very little) and I think my parents would call a future dog China to honour Lilly's memory.

I don't even like if my dog has the same name as another dog I know of, let alone one I have owned :eek: