Funny Mis-informed Things People Say About Dogs

I heard once that dog bites don't give you an infection, only human bites do. I overheard this when I heard a nurse suggesting to a doctor I may need antibiotics after my dog chewed off the end of my finger.

I say chewed because he did not bite me, he was chewing a bone and I was trying to remove it from the back of his mouth, as I was worried it was too small and might get caught in his throat. He kept chewing the bone and I chased it around his mouth as he chewed. I don't think he even realised he bit me. At the ER I was asrked if my dog had shown aggression before, I said he showed no aggression this time I was stupid. Oh and i did end up having antibiotics when my finger got infected. The doctor who prescibed them had a lovely eye roll at what the other doctor said.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got told that ACD were bred to find and kill black fellas. All this while my dog was crawling along the ground with her head wedged against the ground in preparation to roll over and present these two black fellas with her paws in the air and her tummy for a rub...

She isn't racist but they were.

Mum thinks Cesar Milan has good training techiques. I point out all the signs of an extremely anxious dog in the one he's supposedly just cured of all its bad habits and tell her she's not to use any of his techniques on my dog.

And she wonders why my dog likes licking her - how's that hiss working for you, Mum?

We have German friends who are convinced that feeding raw will make our dog eventually turn into a rabid man eating monster, apparently that is the general accepted opinion in europe :( These are young educated people who should know better, mind you he is prone to putting a friendly submissive dog on its back by the throat because she licks too much :banghead:

The one that really got my goat was a woman who I had just met, told me my dog was way overweight in a very condescending manner without even doing so much as patting her, thought she was an expert because she worked in vet reception 4 hours a week! Marlin was just blowing her puppy coat and has VERY big hair anyway, I was ready to kill before my OH dragged me off :)

"If a dog follows you and looks at you it means they're hungry, if you don't feed them they will attack you and eat you"
Not true, this is the cat!

:rofl: as i look at the four cats eyeing me off as they haven't had dinner (well except for half a bag of dog mince) I think you may be right :o

My next door neighbor was the local dog catcher. His lab bitch had a litter of seven pups before she was a year old. Middle of winter no bedding at all in the kennel. At two weeks old he killed the last surviving puppy because it wasn't running around yet. Oh and he also believed that my then dobermann would turn because that's what they do. My other neighbor was an ex school principle who wrote to council about how my bull terrier would savage him oneday because certain perfumes make dogs vicious. Why he wore perfume I don't know!

"Soft drink bottles full of water will stop dogs peeing on your garden." Because the dog will know it's fresh water and so won't pee or poop there

or

Because dog's can't see clear things, so they think the water is suspended in the air, and get scared.

Apparently the Stafford's skull needs to "be" split.....eg, you split its skull yourself.....or it can die as the brain grows too large for the skull.

WTF? :rofl:

I constantly get this at work ...

that a dog cant learn anything at all if its not a puppy anymore so you shouldnt bother trying to change it :mad

that the dog is not some 'show dog' so it only needs the cheapest food, its diet doesnt matter

that a dog cant live without canned food, whereas raw meat is something to be suspicious of

that the dog only needs the $1 a kilo crap food while the cat is the one that needs the premium O_o

sometimes I hate where I work

As a Doberman breeder/owner years ago I was constantly told you cant trust a doberman. It will be raised in a family for years and will suddenly turn on everyone and attack. When out walking younger pups for lead training people would cross the road so as not to walk past you walking a 3 mth old pup.

Edited by kazwa

You can tell if a Stafforshire Terrier is purebred because a purebred will always have 5 moles on its face.

I've found that most (if not all) dogs have five moles on their face, not counting their eyebrows.

I remember reading that one! Too funny! All dogs do have the 5 moles and so do cats!

My other neighbor was an ex school principle who wrote to council about how my bull terrier would savage him oneday because certain perfumes make dogs vicious. Why he wore perfume I don't know!

Actually.. I have noticed certain dogs can exhibit odd behaviours around some perfumes or deodorants. However.. it's totally the opposite to what your neighbour believes :p

Panterka's greyhound is a great example of that- spray on some Lynx Africa and it's like catnip to him. He rubs, he nuzzles in under arms, he goes into a state of giddy, greyhound ecstasy. He also apparently does the same thing to carpets with Shake'n'Vac on them.

As for greyhound-specific things.. I could write a book of all the stupid things people have told me about my dogs (often by people who've only just told me that they've never actually seen a greyhound in person :rolleyes: )

Saw this mentioned about another breeder earlier, but I guess a few of us have to live with these dangerous animals....

A Dobermans brain will outgrow its skull and it will go crazy and attack you :laugh: