Double Trouble?

AmaCam+Digby

Hello everyone!

I need some opinions and advice about the two puppy issue.

Here's the story:

About 6 weeks ago we adopted our lovely Australian Cattle Dog boy Digby. While training is going well it has not been entirely straightforward as we have had to totally rework the way we communicate with him as he is deaf. He is now 14.5 weeks old, and is beggining to become a well mannered individual.

Last night I got a phone call from a friend followed by a series of emails About a border collie pup, a girl, whom is also deaf, is 8 weeks old and looking for a home.

We have been planning on getting another dog (maybe not this early, and an older rescue dog but hey the world works in mysterious ways). We are also able to afford the financial needs of two dogs and understand the time needs of a deaf dog.

I have read a few articles and threads about this, but they all seem to be about getting puppies from the same litter, and at the same time.

What do you guys think of this? Should we go for it?

Really its ALOT of work 2 deaf dogs?? and two pups at that. personally i would not do it you have still got the teenage hood to come and 2 dogs going through that together and both being deaf will be a hard task.

the little pup will find a home. you have a pup now you need to train and it sounds like you are going great :thumbsup:

I have had 2 puppies together ( they both could hear fine but acted deaf as they would ignore me) it is such hard work, if i know what I know now I could handle them better and train them better but I had never trained a dog before and then I got 2... I was young and silly and would not do it again. BUT if you are willing to put the time and effort into it and train them separatly etc it could work.... it would be hard but not altogether impossible

It is a lot of work but not completely impossible - depends on your home situation and the time you have available ;)

I agree - totally depends on how much time you have. Two puppies is ALOT of work!!! I personally would not get another dog until the pup was atleast 12 months old - ideally 2 years.

i have a 3 yr old and a 6 month old, and its alot of work for me even now!! i dont know if i would do it again, maybe wait for a bigger age gap...

i imagine 1 deaf puppy to be hard work so good luck sounds like you are doing a good job, if you think you can handle that work times 2 then go for it, :shrug:

I'm with you Dandybrush. I am flat out with my 2 & they are not hearing impaired. But sounds like Amacam is confident & coping well.

Go girl. :worship: More power to you. If you think you can cope with 2 :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I wouldn't do it, 2 pups are hard enough, 2 deaf pups would be very hard, 2 working dog deaf pups at the same time? No way. :o

Wait and get your older rescue dog, I think getting a dog that can hear you would be best, you can at least get that one's attention if they were both hooning around and you needed them to stop.

Edited to make sense. :laugh:

Edited by Bite Me

Yes, thats a good idea. if you want to get another littley maybe not a hearing impaired one would be a great option :)

It might make it easier if you got an older pup that was already obedient then the little deaf one could follow his lead somewhat.

Just a thought.

Only you know if you're up to the challenge of training 2 deaf pups. Personally, I would go with some of the advice already posted about getting another dog/pup who is not hearing-impaired.

My boxer had two white siblings in his litter. As is often the case with white boxers, both pups were deaf. The breeder placed them in homes that already had an adult, well-trained dog. She feels that it just makes training a deaf pup a lot easier. For eg. for recall, the deaf pup will take a visual cue from the older dog responding to its' owner calling it.

Good luck in your decision-making. :)

Congratulations on your new puppy. Being deaf only slightly hinders them.

I had a deaf ACD and full hearing ACD together. Having another dog with a deaf dog is fantastic. They have another individual to cue from, and another dog is going to be around the deaf dog more than a human.

Certainly get another pup, but I'd never have a pack of all deaf dogs.

I let the deaf one off lead all the time (she did compete in agility too) as she either recalled to me, or followed the full hearing dog when he recalled to me. Her eyesight was amazing.

Edited by Inevitablue

I wouldn't get to deaf dogs even if i had the time .

Watching our oldies here whether they be blind or going deaf we see how much they place trust in the younger dogs to lead them & be there eyes or ears.

I see no issues in getting another dog now but would certainly pick a breed that will be a match in the sense of sensible & easy going with the hope both will work well as a pair.

Having said that i do think allowing 12 months to really work hard on hand cues & routine would be very wise & see what works well with your boy whether it be the use of vibrations,hand cues

WOW! what a variety of answers! Thank you all very much for your input.

We have decided that Digby deserves our utmost (attention) for his highest (achievement) so we will be concentrating on him for the time being, and putting off getting another dog, puppy or otherwise for at least another 9 months! :)

That said if any of you know of any other dol'ers who might be interested to make a commitment to a gorgeous little chocolate BC girl with great potential and ears for decoration only, please point them in my direction and I will hook then up with the breeder- she really does deserve a loving committed and driving owner who will expect great things from her, and have the time to take her there!

Thanks again everyone!

Amanda.

We have decided that Digby deserves our utmost (attention) for his highest (achievement) so we will be concentrating on him for the time being, and putting off getting another dog, puppy or otherwise for at least another 9 months! :)

That said if any of you know of any other dol'ers who might be interested to make a commitment to a gorgeous little chocolate BC girl with great potential and ears for decoration only, please point them in my direction and I will hook then up with the breeder- she really does deserve a loving committed and driving owner who will expect great things from her, and have the time to take her there!

Thanks again everyone!

Amanda.

Sounds like you've come up with a good plan.

Ears for decoration, love it! :rofl: I'm sure someone will give her a good home. :)

Good on you thinking things through & putting you pup's best interests before your own. I 'm with you though.

Being a special little one like yours he is going to need really special extra care/training. That takes time.

Good luck! I think you have will do very well with him :thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone!

Amanda.

Sounds like you've come up with a good plan.

Ears for decoration, love it! :rofl: I'm sure someone will give her a good home. :)

I'm sure Digby will appreciate your full on attention. :thumbsup:

Love the ear decoration comment too. :laugh:

Sounds like a good idea AmaCam+Digby

Though i have to say, had two pups (got the first at 9 weeks and the second at 13 weeks but both where the same age (from the same litter), anyway so two 13 week old Sibes.. easy as! they where great! .. Not deaf but had selective hearing :D