Does This Amount Of Food Seem Ok?

We feed Chester (8.5 weeks) using the breeders recommendation closely but not identical, and puppy always seems to want more. Does this sound ok?

9am - 250ml veanavite drink (full cream milk powder) with a tablespoon of yoghurt and breadcrumbs until its creamy (breeder does this until 6 months old, he usually only ends up eating a half to 3/4 of it)

12-1pm - 1 cup of kibble (mix of black hawk and pro plan) with a raw egg, two sardines and a slice of cheese broken up. He demolishes this meal and licks the bowl for ten minutes afterwards!

5-6pm - 100-200gms mince with mixed vegies

8pm - another milk drink minus the breadcrumbs

He also gets a handful of kibble for training treats during the day, and water. He just seems to follow us into the kitchen all the time and stares at us making us feel guilty lol!! Does it sound ok? I tried him on a chicken neck but it was gone in 3 bites!!

The breeder soaks their kibble but we just mix it up with something wet like yoghurt or the egg.

Thank you for any suggestions :)

We feed Chester (8.5 weeks) using the breeders recommendation closely but not identical, and puppy always seems to want more. Does this sound ok?

9am - 250ml veanavite drink (full cream milk powder) with a tablespoon of yoghurt and breadcrumbs until its creamy (breeder does this until 6 months old, he usually only ends up eating a half to 3/4 of it)

12-1pm - 1 cup of kibble (mix of black hawk and pro plan) with a raw egg, two sardines and a slice of cheese broken up. He demolishes this meal and licks the bowl for ten minutes afterwards!

5-6pm - 100-200gms mince with mixed vegies

8pm - another milk drink minus the breadcrumbs

He also gets a handful of kibble for training treats during the day, and water. He just seems to follow us into the kitchen all the time and stares at us making us feel guilty lol!! Does it sound ok? I tried him on a chicken neck but it was gone in 3 bites!!

The breeder soaks their kibble but we just mix it up with something wet like yoghurt or the egg.

Thank you for any suggestions :)

I'm not sure how food responsive GR's are but labs will eat til their tummies burst & then still look for more :laugh: I'll share what our breeder recommends for Wilbur who will be 8 weeks when we use this feeding schedule:

7:30am

wet mix which is mince (chicken, beef or lamb) mixed with pasta or rice and veg with 1/4 cup Royal Canin Lab puppy kibble (it's recommended to mix the variations of mince, veg, pasta/rice up daily)

1:30

chicken frame

7:30pm

same as breakfast

other additive to the wet mix:

sardines, tuna, mackerel, flax seed oil & parsley

There is no suggestion of size of meals, but i'll look at the body weight formula online to guide me initially.

hope this helps

That is the strangest puppy diet I've heard of!

Times two

I'd scrap the milk ( although veanavite is great, it's not necessary and use it every now and then as a treat ) get rid of the bread crumbs, you are just adding wheat to a dogs diet and it's not great for them

Your black hawk sounds good as does proplan on it's own ( i'd pick one of those and stick with it ) , as does the sardines and cheese.

Try giving the pup some chicken necks or wings for breakfast, or even a half a chicken frame, offer another bit of raw for lunch and use your dry at dinner time, alternating between adding sardines, egg, cheese etc.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Wow, you feeding a dog or a parrot :rofl:

Scrap the bread crumbs and no need for the milk if you don't want to continue it (no harm if you do)

I'd be feeding large things that take a while to eat - turkey necks, chicken bodies and the like.

That is the strangest puppy diet I've heard of!

Times two

I'd scrap the milk ( although veanavite is great, it's not necessary and use it every now and then as a treat ) get rid of the bread crumbs, you are just adding wheat to a dogs diet and it's not great for them

Your black hawk sounds good as does proplan on it's own ( i'd pick one of those and stick with it ) , as does the sardines and cheese.

Try giving the pup some chicken necks or wings for breakfast, or even a half a chicken frame, offer another bit of raw for lunch and use your dry at dinner time, alternating between adding sardines, egg, cheese etc.

I'd go with this.

Agree- puppy doesn't need pasta. I would do what RSG suggested

I don't give him pasta??!!

Thanks, he never ate his dinner tonight so I might try and vary it some more. The mix of proplan and black hawk is because he was weaned onto proplan, but we want to feed black hawk and everyone said to mix it and slowly change over.

Thank you :)

I wouldn;t suggest to vary his diet .. that just leads to fussy eating ( if I don't eat this, Mum will give me something better/different) NOT a good long term plan ;) he needs to learn to eat what is put in front of him .

I would suggest using chicken carcasses /semi frozen whole wings/turkey necks as well ... :) Also with mince ... not too many vegies ..just a little .He needs meat more than he needs veges .

I would leave out the milk, soak the biscuits in water and would not add pasta, rice or breadcrumbs, its all grains which a lot of dogs are allergic to, if I had known this I would have saved myself a lot of trouble when my lab was a pup, I am getting a new pup in Sept and plan to keep him grain free from the start.

Another poster said they fed their dog pasta.

People are just advising that Pasta is not a good idea to feed dogs.

Vegetables are also not a good thing to feed to your dog unless you are using them as fillers.

Vegetables ar full of celulose and dogs can't digest it unless it is it totally pulverised to liquid form or put through an electric jucer.

The lunch and dinner meals are OK, but I would ditch the milk meals, no wonder he is hungry! I feed my pups that age 4 meals a day spread out over the day, so they don't have to wait to long for the next meal ad get over hungry.

Oh you're right, I have no idea where I got pasta from :confused::rofl: But the same applies to bread crumbs.

The second (?) poster mentioned that they feed their puppy pasta, so that might be where you got it from.

I don't understand why anyone would include pasta or bread or rice in a meal for a dog.

Yea my pup lab who will be 9 weeks on Friday gets

BREAKFAST: 30g cop rice puppy kibble, 1x sard

LUNCH: a raw meaty bon

DIINNER: 30g coprice puppy kibble, 1x raw egg OR k and veggies

As a guide at 8 weeks my pup ate a cup and a half of kibble plus extras - he is also a lab. My friends chi eats 30g morning and night so not sure if thats enough for a lab pup

Edited by Mason2009

Idavid89 im going to stick my neck out here and say that i would not be feeding that food as it has cereal grains as its first ingredient. I know the breeder was probably feeding this so you cant change him over just yet but i would in the future. But this is just my opinion.

Guest Panzer Attack!

I never fed my puppy milk, I got him at 9 weeks. I gave him a kibble breakfast, a frozen chicken neck to gnaw on when I was at work (for his lunch) and kibble for dinner. Sometimes I'd mix it up and give him some mince, and then started adding stuff - I so wish I hadn't done that, as he was a VERY fussy eater up until a few days ago (he's 6 months now). From experience I would advise you to feed him small bits regularly of what you plan to give him when he's an adult. Don't mess around with it like I did. If you want him to eat dry, give him dry. If you want to feed him bones, give him bones. Don't mush the food or add people food to it to entice him to eat, as puppies learn habits VERY early on.

E x