Pls Help I Found A Kitten

chiara

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way to go people - another newbie no doubt put off DOL forever by the resident know-it-all B*tches

The poster came here for 'advice' and clearly did not want to hear of it. The way I interpreted the post (rightly or wrongly) was that she made her intentions of keeping this kitten pretty clear in her second post.

She was advised to do the right thing and take it to the pound/vet/shelter to be checked for a microchip. She was also wisely advised that after all efforts to find an owner were exhausted, that she could put her name down as first point of contact should she wish to keep it. This is the only ethical solution to the situation in which she found herself. To advise her otherwise would be to possibly encourage her to be in posession of stolen goods.

Edited by Pheebs

way to go people - another newbie no doubt put off DOL forever by the resident know-it-all B*tches

Anyone who thinks they can take an animal off the street and keep it without notifying anyone needs to be told it isn't right, which is what people did. In both of her threads. (not sure if it even sank in) Nothing bitchy about it.

I'd sure as heck want my (collarless) dog or cat to be handed in.

Btw on the comment about leaving the dogs without a collar, i think that's just silly I cannot imagine how my dog could possibly strangle itself...plus there's so many options out there with all sorts of different collars and harnesses, If I saw a dog without a collar I would assume it's a stray..

Not silly at all, far too many dogs have died/been strangled/hanged by their own collars getting caught up in things, particularly a number of members on here. :(

Haha thanks! I don't really mind at least it shows people care about their pets and other people's pets too!

I do think that some comments were made without really reading/understanding the situation. I also might live in a different area but when I spoke to the no kill rescue lady she told me that the RSPCA is not taking any domestic animals at the moment as they are overcrowded and after she shaw the kitten she is sure that it would have been put down at the pound as he was too traumatized, tonight kitten will be sleeping with other cats being taken care of properly in a safe environment I am 100% sure this is a stray and can we all remember we are not talking about a puppy but a kitten who is obviously a stray and was definitely never handled by human.

Now about the collars, I'm not denying some dogs might have been hurt by the collars but I have had my dog for 3 years and he has a leather collar he wears when he is outside and never once he's has a problem with it if anything this collar saved his life - I was walking him and two large dogs bolted out of an unsecured gate looking for a fight they came behind me and my brave protector did just that he went for them both... I managed to scream everyone out of their homes and the dogs were called back to their home I was left in shock worrying if my dog was injured, after a careful analysis I found a small scratch in his leg and many many teeth marks on his collar!! If it had not been for the think leather collar he would have been killed or severely wounded!

If I had a dog who had issues or a place where he could get caught I would probably change the gate or whatever it was that's a danger alternatively I would put a snap collar ( I think that's what they are called) so they easily snap off if caught on something, maybe it's the way I grew up but I think a dog should have a collar or something and yes if I see a dog wondering around without a collar I cannot help but think it's a stray obviously if they have a chip that's great but my doggie will keep his collar on when left outside so that in the unlikely event he gets out my neighbors can stop him, hold him and quickly call me.

Personally think someone with a collarless dog wondering around is asking for trouble and I would not expect anyone to approach a collarless dog to get it off the streets even less to likely to be taken to a vet to be check for a microchip also would not want my dog to end up in the pound or the RSPCA I think he would be totally traumatized and btw the pound keeps animals for 10 days if not claimed they are put to sleep and I would not take that chance with the kitten nor my dog.

Also I think I made pretty clear that kitten does not have anyone out there looking for him it was a half feral cat who would have died of anemia from fleas if not found, I can assure anyone who thinks I have kept stolen animals from their rightful owner it isn't the case I have contacted who I had to contact I spoke with the vet I spoke with a knowledgeable rescuer and my neighbors we've all established this is a stray. Yes I did think about possibly keeping the kitten and giving him a home if he wasn't claimed I didn't just find a random cat and thought oh I'll keep this... I took him in because he was going in shock from being barked at by a 50kg Rottweiler, not really knowing anything about kittens I posted here and onthecat forum, spoke with neighbours they all saw mama cat and all confirmed her as a stray, took kitty to vet and established no chip and probably was never handled by a human hence a stray! Spoke with council decided I could definitely not keep him researched a no kill foster place so that kitty could be rehabilitated and adopted. Btw I will be update on kitty's progress which is great and I would recommend little paws rescue to anyone who needs to give up/finds a cat the lady was awesomely knowledgeable and had a great set up at home. I am happy with the outcome.

Edited by chiara

tonight kitten will be sleeping with other cats being taken care of properly
:o Glad it's safe , but Sorry , what about quarantine ?

Not sure about that the lady put the kitten in her new arrival kitten room... I think that's where she would put newbies and monitor them. She takes them all to vet to get checked but my vet said apart from the fleas and being skinny the kitten was good.

Now about the collars, I'm not denying some dogs might have been hurt by the collars but I have had my dog for 3 years and he has a leather collar he wears when he is outside and never once he's has a problem with it if anything this collar saved his life -

If I had a dog who had issues or a place where he could get caught I would probably change the gate or whatever it was that's a danger alternatively I would put a snap collar ( I think that's what they are called) so they easily snap off if caught on something, maybe it's the way I grew up but I think a dog should have a collar or something and yes if I see a dog wondering around without a collar I cannot help but think it's a stray obviously if they have a chip that's great but my doggie will keep his collar on when left outside so that in the unlikely event he gets out my neighbors can stop him, hold him and quickly call me.

Personally think someone with a collarless dog wondering around is asking for trouble and I would not expect anyone to approach a collarless dog to get it off the streets even less to likely to be taken to a vet to be check for a microchip also would not want my dog to end up in the pound or the RSPCA I think he would be totally traumatized and btw the pound keeps animals for 10 days if not claimed they are put to sleep and I would not take that chance with the kitten nor my dog.

no; dogs have died in collar accidents and even though you know about breakaway collars you still consider every dog loose in the street is a stray. Even without a collar, if your dog was chipped and you were actively looking for him, he wouldn't be in the pound for 10 days or PTS would he?

You want to keep a collar on your dog then do so but don't belittle the people who choose not to by implying they are irresponsible owners.

Pleased that you found a solution where the kitten will not be PTS.

Most kittens that go into pounds, RSPCA, AWL do not come out. Many are sick or get sick when they go in there. They don't have the time & money for vets & blood tests etc for the huge numbers that end up there.

Welcome here anyway. If you want a huge & often heated, interesting & sometimes funny debate or opinions this is the place. :laugh:

I also know of a friend's dog that got hung on a fence :( With animals Murphy's law takes precedence, anything that can go wrong will go wrong, it's a matter of risk assessment too but never assume that something will never happen on the basis that it hasn't happened yet.

With animals Murphy's law takes precedence, anything that can go wrong will go wrong

:laugh: so true, even with risk assessment. I had a poodle got his leg caught in between the fence & fence post that goes across. There are millions of fences made this way world wide & dogs do not get their leg stuck. Good job I was home or he would have broke his leg.

Same dog also got his toe stuck in the plug hole in the bath.

One day I put pups in a room I was renovating, empty & quite safe I thought, while I mopped the floor. One got his head stuck in a tiny gap in some brickwork around a door.

Probably dog above as I kept him :eek: With all the care in the world some things just happen.

Guest lavendergirl

Haha thanks! I don't really mind at least it shows people care about their pets and other people's pets too!

I do think that some comments were made without really reading/understanding the situation. I also might live in a different area but when I spoke to the no kill rescue lady she told me that the RSPCA is not taking any domestic animals at the moment as they are overcrowded and after she shaw the kitten she is sure that it would have been put down at the pound as he was too traumatized, tonight kitten will be sleeping with other cats being taken care of properly in a safe environment I am 100% sure this is a stray and can we all remember we are not talking about a puppy but a kitten who is obviously a stray and was definitely never handled by human.

Now about the collars, I'm not denying some dogs might have been hurt by the collars but I have had my dog for 3 years and he has a leather collar he wears when he is outside and never once he's has a problem with it if anything this collar saved his life - I was walking him and two large dogs bolted out of an unsecured gate looking for a fight they came behind me and my brave protector did just that he went for them both... I managed to scream everyone out of their homes and the dogs were called back to their home I was left in shock worrying if my dog was injured, after a careful analysis I found a small scratch in his leg and many many teeth marks on his collar!! If it had not been for the think leather collar he would have been killed or severely wounded!

Also I think I made pretty clear that kitten does not have anyone out there looking for him it was a half feral cat who would have died of anemia from fleas if not found, I can assure anyone who thinks I have kept stolen animals from their rightful owner it isn't the case I have contacted who I had to contact I spoke with the vet I spoke with a knowledgeable rescuer and my neighbors we've all established this is a stray. Yes I did think about possibly keeping the kitten and giving him a home if he wasn't claimed I didn't just find a random cat and thought oh I'll keep this... I took him in because he was going in shock from being barked at by a 50kg Rottweiler, not really knowing anything about kittens I posted here and onthecat forum, spoke with neighbours they all saw mama cat and all confirmed her as a stray, took kitty to vet and established no chip and probably was never handled by a human hence a stray! Spoke with council decided I could definitely not keep him researched a no kill foster place so that kitty could be rehabilitated and adopted. Btw I will be update on kitty's progress which is great and I would recommend little paws rescue to anyone who needs to give up/finds a cat the lady was awesomely knowledgeable and had a great set up at home. I am happy with the outcome.

I take your point though this is exactly what I did recently when I picked up a little stray dog - no collar. After doorknocking the immediate area to no avail I took her to the local vet who scanned her for a chip. Fortunately for her she had a chip but I then had to leave my details at the vet and take the dog back home and wait for the person to contact me which they didn't do until late in the day. Therefore I had to cancel my plans for the day while I waited for the person to come and pick her up. Now while I was willing to do that a lot of people would not and would think twice about even bothering to do anything further after discovering the absence of a collar. So on balance I think I will leave the collar on my dog if he is left outside whilst I am out. If he is inside though the collar will be removed.

chiara I just wanted to add, I think you did the right thing with the kitten, and I'm glad you see that the criticisms aren't addressing the facts of the situation as you presented them, e.g. cat not chipped, council contacted, you didn't keep it, etc.

Although if I found an uncollared dog I definitely would and have tried to find its owner by checking for a chip, if I can get close enough. Unlike lavendergirl's situation tho my local vet held the dog on their premises until the owner arrived, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

I have also found dogs with collars and addresses which is great and I just walk them home, but my dogs don't wear collars normally (are chipped). I do teach my dogs where their front boundaries are as a back-up, as well as having good fences, but I certainly don't assume that a loose dog - collar or no - is anything other than an escaped pet at risk of being hit by a car.

I think you have also done the right thing and am glad that kitty is safe. If Mamma cat is truely a stray i think that the right thing to do would be to catch her and take her to the local shelter. Its coming into breading season for cats and she will defiantly end up pregnant again.

I also agree that you cant always assume an animal is unloved. I am a vet nurse and we had a cat the was bought into our clinic very very matted as a stray. It had a chip and the cat had been missing for over 6months from a surburb in upper Sydney a 40 min freeway drive from us. They owner had even had a baby in the mean time. She drove up and picked kitty up straight away and cried when she saw him.

We also had a foxie that turned up that had a chip and had been missing for over 9months. He had even been desexed. The people that found him desexed him and assumed that because he had bad skin he was neglected.She had taken him to our vet for a sore ear and happened to mention that they had found him (9 months earlier). We scanned him for a chip and his orginally owners lived 20 mins away. He had always had bad skin and had even been to see a spec in Sydney about it. His owners came to collect him and where so happy to have him back but where so angry at the people that did not have him scanned for a chip. His orginally owners had even put ads in the paper.

You cant always assume that they are unloved (it does sound like yours may be though). And I would always take a stray animal to the local pound or vet to have it scanned for a chip. You can always leave your details and adopt the animal if no one claims it. And that way you leagally own it and all vet work is done at a discount too.

Edited by skyesblue

Now about the collars, I'm not denying some dogs might have been hurt by the collars but I have had my dog for 3 years and he has a leather collar he wears when he is outside and never once he's has a problem with it if anything this collar saved his life -

no; dogs have died in collar accidents and even though you know about breakaway collars you still consider every dog loose in the street is a stray. Even without a collar, if your dog was chipped and you were actively looking for him, he wouldn't be in the pound for 10 days or PTS would he?

You want to keep a collar on your dog then do so but don't belittle the people who choose not to by implying they are irresponsible owners.

mmm... yes I would consider them strays and try to approach them to get them off the streets! wouldn't you! and I would probably have a harder time too because I wouldn't just be able to grab them by the collar either!

I really didn't mean to belittle anyone im just saying that it's a lot easier to return a dog to owners if there's a phone number on a collar, instead of trying to catch a collarless dog and then either taking him or her to pound or rspca to get the chip scanned, that's just MY opinion and MY dog doesn't have a problem with his collar in MY yard...

I take your point though this is exactly what I did recently when I picked up a little stray dog - no collar. After doorknocking the immediate area to no avail I took her to the local vet who scanned her for a chip. Fortunately for her she had a chip but I then had to leave my details at the vet and take the dog back home and wait for the person to contact me which they didn't do until late in the day. Therefore I had to cancel my plans for the day while I waited for the person to come and pick her up. Now while I was willing to do that a lot of people would not and would think twice about even bothering to do anything further after discovering the absence of a collar. So on balance I think I will leave the collar on my dog if he is left outside whilst I am out. If he is inside though the collar will be removed.

PERFECT my point exactly!!! I'm not totally nuts for saying what I said!! :-)

btw does anyone that has taken found dogs or cats have to pay for the vet visit? I was totally shocked that the closest vet (not my regular vet) would charge me to see if the kitty was ok and scan him for a chip, I mean who would take a pet found in the streets without a collar to get scanned if it's going to cost you $50!!! I took him to my regular vet who was more charitable and looked at the kitty without charging me.

I would just assume that ethically a vet should see an animal in distress that is brought in... I mean aren't they doctors for animals? can you imagine bringing in a baby found in the streets and a doctor saying oh sorry no can do if you don't pay??!!