Toilet Training :(

Aztec Gold

I feel like Chester has taken a step back with toilet training :(

He averages two pees inside a day and has never pooed inside until ten minutes ago. We try to take him out every hour roughly, but when its just me at home with him and the two kids it can be hard. When my partner is home, things go much better. He only wet once inside yesterday, it was great!

Does anyone have any similar experiences to share? How long roughly does it take them to learn? He can go up to 4-5 hours of a night before he has to toilet!

Kyojin could be like this sometimes. We would take him out very frequently to toilet, but this wasn't always enough. He never used to show any signs whatsoever that he needed to go out at the beginning. After a while he started heading towards the back door, so any time we saw him go near it we'd take him out. Now he nibbles on our hands (an Akita trait, they nibble on your hands when they want to tell you/show you something). But when it came to number two's, there were a few occasions where I'd have Kyojin with me for hours and no issues, but the second I got up to go to the toilet or shower or be in another room for a minute or two I'd come back out and he'd have pooed on the lounge room floor. I know people say that you can't tell a dog they've done something wrong after the fact, but we did with Kyojin. The first bunch of times he did it we'd just clean it up. Then decided to see if we could let him know that what he had done was wrong, as well as whenever he did toilet outside he would receive ginormous praise. (He's 13 months old now and I still praise him whenever I see him toileting outside). When we did find out that he'd pooed inside, usually only a minute or so after he had done it, we'd say "What is this?" in a growly tone and point to the mess. We did this maybe 3 times and then he never had a single accident in the house again.

It can be a bit frustrating. Kyojin pees quite a lot during the day, but even from when we first brought him home, he would sleep all through the night without needing to go.

I feel like Chester has taken a step back with toilet training :(

He averages two pees inside a day and has never pooed inside until ten minutes ago. We try to take him out every hour roughly, but when its just me at home with him and the two kids it can be hard. When my partner is home, things go much better. He only wet once inside yesterday, it was great!

Does anyone have any similar experiences to share? How long roughly does it take them to learn? He can go up to 4-5 hours of a night before he has to toilet!

Don't be so hard on yourself :) I think you're expecting too much from yourself and Chester. I'm not sure we can expect toilet training with puppies to be linear in nature....after all it's not linear with children. My thoughts are that kids and puppies take steps forward and then steps backward and then forward again. I'd say expect mistakes. clean 'em up and move forward; just like we do with toilet training our kids. Do the best that you can when you're home alone with puppy and kids; after all that's all you can do.

Wilbur is doing exactly what i though he'd do; be up and down in getting toilet training down pat. He's had a few wee accidents in the house since he arrived on Friday. I can honestly say they're ALL my fault :laugh: I have failed to read his signs properly or missed the signs etc Wilbur started sitting at the backdoor and whining on Saturday; after he realised that's where the backyard is...where the FUN is. On Sunday he was sitting at the door and gave a yelp...i thought he wanted out to play; despite just coming in from a play. As it was, he was telling me "mum! i need to do a wee. NOW" :thumbsup: but stupid me read the sign as "Mum, i wanna play again". Needless to say he had an accident within 30 seconds. I took him out and he did another wee and a poo too :thumbsup: The lesson i learned, was that I am learning how to read Wilbur's signs and sometimes i misread or totally miss seeing the sign. I'm guessing that they hold on better during the night because they're asleep and much less stimulated by their environment. Wilbur is the same as Chester in that he goes long periods of time overnight without any accidents and then wees alot during the day (and i've missed at least one each day). On the up side, Wilbur has wee'd way more outside on the grass than inside on the tiles...gotta be happy with those stats :D

From my perspective i'd say you're doing everything right and keep on the way you are. Perhaps just adjust your expectations of both yourself and Chester a little. You're doing great! :cheer:

I totally understand - Paddington's a bit the same. The first week we had one or two accidents inside, and when we've been to work he hasn't had any accidents. But the last day or so we've had a couple of inside wees, usually shortly after he's been out with little to no warning. A little bit 2 steps forward, 1 step back, only to be expected with the babies - after all, he's only 11 wks old, but it's still frustrating!

oh you poor thing!

Don't be too hard on yourself!

With my puppy one thing I learnt was to NEVER EVER let her out of my sight! I didn't find taking out every hour helped but I found keeping an eye out for any suspicious behaviour and then pouncing on it and taking her outside really helped. Not the easiest thing to do as sometimes it was a false alarm but it eliminates accidents and drills it into their heads that toileting is an outside activity only.

My motto was "Never trust the puppy". It was a lot of work and I was chained to her but it made her wonderfully reliable with toilet training!

I did several things.

I took the puppy out the second her nose hit the floor - especially in any corners of the room like behind the chairs.

I did not let her in until she'd performed. I don't care how cold and wet or hot and windy it is, you're not getting back in side until I get something out of you.

I set the alarm to take her out twice each night for the first two weeks. I ran a lead from her under me when I was sleeping so she couldn't sneak out on her own. I think a crate would have helped here. She did go in a crate when I couldn't supervise for the first few months like when I was washing dishes or making dinner or shopping etc. She supervised me in the bathroom. Sigh.

I think we had two maybe three pee accidents total - all my fault and a couple of poo explosions - ie tummy upsets so she couldn't hold even tho she wanted to - explosions happened close to the back door where I normally let her out.

I am having more trouble with my little guy, as he tends to poo in the garage when I am away during part of the day at work.. He has the whole backyard and yet he always seems to toilet on the concrete in the garage?

He was great for the little while I was able to spend all day with him, hardly any accidents! :D

It is hard though when I can't be watching him 24/7.. I wish I could, but unfortunately I do need to work!

• 1 month later...

If you cannot watch the puppy, put him outside. No chance of accidents then. :)

Every accident creates more.... two pees a day inside is two too many.

Sorry to be less understanding than some other posters but you will not successfully toilet train a pup that has regular accidents inside and frankly, you don't have unlimited time to do it in.

So if you cannot watch puppy and you are not crate training, put him out.

If you cannot watch the puppy, put him outside. No chance of accidents then. :)

Every accident creates more.... two pees a day inside is two too many.

Sorry to be less understanding than some other posters but you will not successfully toilet train a pup that has regular accidents inside and frankly, you don't have unlimited time to do it in.

So if you cannot watch puppy and you are not crate training, put him out.

I agree with this. If puppy is piddling in the house during the day, he shouldn't be in the house. Put him out and he'll learn his toilet is outside, faster than if you keep him indoors and take him out when you think he needs to go.

I feel your pain, my older dog was so so easy to toilet train compared to my new baby. Some days are perfect no mistakes at all and then others are just awful with at least 2 wee's inside. I take him out every 15 minutes in the evening ( which is when accidents happen) but accidents still happen