Amstaff Opinions

tanstaff

Hi,

Ive been reading this forum for some time and have decided to sign up and ask for some advice.

Ive purchased a dog from a breeder as a pure amstaff. I have seen the both the mum and the dad. The mum had very authentic colouring, tan w/white chest however seemed a little short. Though her build was good. The dad on the other hand was about 45 kg's, red w/white chest, tall, slightly underbuilt with a longer narrow snout. Now i wont comment too much on the build as it sometimes comes down to exercise however the puppy did look very appealing in the pictures.

Now the puppy looked good, however it was a difficult situation as we had driven several hours to this property and my partner had fallen in love at first sight being the softy she is. The pup was sold without papers but the dad had a ped and was apparently a $1700 dog.

Raising the dog ive noticed he seems to have the right build, and definitely looks like a staff from the front but he seems to have a slightly longer snout than he should?

It's not so much worrying because i love the dog all the same, i just really want to be confident when i tell others what breed he is.

Pictures

15xwwwo.jpg

1zw13zp.jpg

scfkg5.jpg

I just cant help but compare to another amstaff, Zeus, who i took care of for several months as a pup.

23wjvyf.jpg

Different breed or different bloodline?

Regards

Jacob

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Ive been reading this forum for some time and have decided to sign up and ask for some advice.

Ive purchased a dog from a breeder as a pure amstaff. I have seen the both the mum and the dad. The mum had very authentic colouring, tan w/white chest however seemed a little short. Though her build was good. The dad on the other hand was about 45 kg's, red w/white chest, tall, slightly underbuilt with a longer narrow snout. Now i wont comment too much on the build as it sometimes comes down to exercise however the puppy did look very appealing in the pictures.

Now the puppy looked good, however it was a difficult situation as we had driven several hours to this property and my partner had fallen in love at first sight being the softy she is. The pup was sold without papers but the dad had a ped and was apparently a $1700 dog.

Raising the dog ive noticed he seems to have the right build, and definitely looks like a staff from the front but he seems to have a slightly longer snout than he should?

It's not so much worrying because i love the dog all the same, i just really want to be confident when i tell others what breed he is.

Pictures

15xwwwo.jpg

1zw13zp.jpg

scfkg5.jpg

I just cant help but compare to another amstaff, Zeus, who i took care of for several months as a pup.

23wjvyf.jpg

Different breed or different bloodline?

Regards

Jacob

I can't see the photos.

Edited to add..... if could be anything if it doesn't have papers to prove it's an amstaff.

Edited by 3Woofs

Sorry, but he looks just like any other mutt from the pound. Everything from his shape to coat texture is wrong.

The other one looks like a mastiff,x RR x, or who knows what.

You were ripped off. :(

He is a crossbreed of unknown heritage, may not even have been his parents you saw.

,Years ago i had a staffy x red heeler_never again!!_that looked almost identical to your dog.Often amstaffs are crossed with Ridgebacks and staffordshire terriers.I think he may have a pinch of one or both in his background.The 2nd dog looks a bit mastiff mix to me.

Learn as i did ,and this is a good place to learn,next time buy from a reputable breeder.He looks like a nice happy dog whatever his mix.

Edited by Purdie

Tanstaff - Did the breeder offer papers? Papers are important because if there is going to be a clampdown on "pitbull looking dogs" a set of pedigree papers stating that your dog is an Amstaff would be invaluable especially as I see you are in Victoria.

Learn as i did ,and this is a good place to learn,next time buy from a reputable breeder.He looks like a nice happy dog whatever his mix.

Good advice. You can find registered breeders on the homepage of this website

i'm not an expert on amstaffs but yours looks like the run of the mill 'staffy x' that fill the pounds atm.

and if he's not registerable and you can't prove he's an amstaff then i would be concerned if i were you. hes red (sure sign he MUST be a pitty and therefore a child killer as well pfft) and he's a strong looking dog that could have pitty in him somewhere along the line (also could very very well not have. just saying, you dont know) if the proposed new changes to the laws down that i was reading about this mroning go ahead, then the onus will be on you to prove he isn't a pitbull or pitty x, rather than the council/court prove that he is.

if i were you i'd ensure he's registered in your coucnil as an amstaff and i would try and get some or any documentation from the person who bred him to say that the parents are amstaff or even staffy x's. even a signed affitdavid (sp?) might be of some help. cos there is a storm brewing in vic atm and he could be the loveliest dog in the world but he might be persecuted because he has red hair, so to speak.

i don't think it matters what breed if you love him just tell everyone amstaff x or staffy x, hes very handsome by the way

I don't think the owner minds what breed (cross) he is, but the reality is, if pit bull hysteria takes off, the council/government will care.

OP - neither dog looks pure bred anything to me. I would be doing what someone else has already suggested, get him DNA tested to prove he is the progeny of dog x and bitch y then get any sort of documentation you can about what breed(s) they are.

Sorry but in the current climate of BSL, if you buy a bull breed dog (of any sort) without papers you need your head read :(