How Many Pit Bulls Are There In Australia?

sandgrubber

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many pureblood pit bulls are there in Australia?

• Less than 500
    • 500 to 1000
    • 1000 to 5000
    • 5000 to 10,000
    • >10,000

All this fuss about pit bulls. I'm curious. How many of them do people think there are? Are there any credible statistics? (I stated 'pureblood' rather than 'pedigree' because I don't think the AKC recognises pit bulls).

Edited by sandgrubber

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure Pit Bulls? Scarce as hen's teeth I'd say...

Anything that looks like a badly bred Stafford/AmStaff - or a cross of same? Lots...

... and unfortunately quite a few of those are owned by people who aren't concerned with giving their "breed" a good name... *sigh*

T.

Wouldn't the answer be none as the fact is, you can not bring certain breeds into this country and the Pit Bull is one of them.

How do get a pure bred Pit Bull into the country, other than by illegal means.

Wouldn't the answer be none as the fact is, you can not bring certain breeds into this country and the Pit Bull is one of them.

There was an existing population prior to restriction.

How long is a piece of string?

No-one would really know the answer to that.

You only aren't supposed to Import them. There was already pitbulls here before this rule came in so there was already pitbulls breeding here.

There is more registries around that can give pedigrees than just the AKC BTW. Doesn't mean a dog is any less purebred or pedigreed just because the AKC doesn't issue the papers.

I think there are a lot of curious people but unfortunately the real answer will never be known IMO

I have been led to believe that this is not the case.

I have not been shown any records to prove the case so I stand corrected if this is so. :)

Two pure bred Pit Bulls were brought legally into this country many years ago and both went to the Gulf Country.

To cut a long story short the dog was shot on the chain as he was so savage and totally unmanageable.

The bitch was never bred from and also shot to get her off the shoulder of the owner as she had pinned him down.

Just your trivia for the day :D

Edited by oakway

I think the general public think they are everywhere, I got asked today, if my rhodesian ridgeback was a pitbull. :confused:

And I got asked if my Boxer was a Rhodesian Ridgeback...go figure! :laugh:

It seems that the general public struggle to recognize what I thought were well-known purebreeds? :confused:

Two pure bred Pit Bulls were brought legally into this country many years ago and both went to the Gulf Country.

To cut a long story short the dog was shot on the chain as he was so savage and totally unmanageable.

The bitch was never bred from and also shot to get her off the shoulder of the owner as she had pinned him down.

Where did you get this Info from?

I have been led to believe that this is not the case.

I have not been shown any records to prove the case so I stand corrected if this is so. :)

Are you suggesting that these were the only two purebred APBTs brought legally into this country?

I don't know their history with the ANKC, I didn't think there was one.

Hey slow down will ya, :laugh:

So many questions for a bit of trivia that happende over 35 years ago.

The dogs were brought in to breed better Pig Dogs.

I did say they were in the Gulf Country.

I wasn't having a go, it just wasn't clear to me :) There are definitely APBTs here, I'm not sure how (or if) they are registered.

Hey slow down will ya, :laugh:

So many questions for a bit of trivia that happende over 35 years ago.

The dogs were brought in to breed better Pig Dogs.

I did say they were in the Gulf Country.

I wasn't having a go, it just wasn't clear to me :) There are definitely APBTs here, I'm not sure how (or if) they are registered.

Can't help you there at all.

Pit Bulls have been on the banned list for long now now, I'd have at a guess the originals would have been long gone and if in the hands of shooters they may only exist in the derivatives of their off spring.