Your Expectations/rules For Pooch On A Walk.

Just curious - Roy (21wk old BC) is 1/2 way through his advance puppy course - having fun and learning lots :)

In his class the expectation on a walk is that he is to be at your side (left) and feet inline or behind mine. This isn't an obedience course - they say its for leadership ect.

B4 with Roy I was quite happy to have him on front on me on a normal length leash as long as he didnt pull - we were doing the loose leash thing where you stop or change direction ect whe they pull.

I like the new way and get the idea, though I find I have to correct him alot (he is on a face harness and martingale - not the chain kind).

So Im wondering - what is acceptable behaviour from your dog on a walk, do they stay by your side or where ever they want, and do you have a reason for doing it a particular way?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My walks are for enjoyment - both for the dogs and I. Part of that enjoyment is having a sniff (for them). My rules are:

i) No pulling or lagging behind. Obey that and they're allowed to swap sides, have a sniff etc

ii) No barking, lunging or aggressive behaviour.

Other than that, we can all relax and enjoy ourselves.

Just curious - Roy (21wk old BC) is 1/2 way through his advance puppy course - having fun and learning lots :)

In his class the expectation on a walk is that he is to be at your side (left) and feet inline or behind mine. This isn't an obedience course - they say its for leadership ect.

B4 with Roy I was quite happy to have him on front on me on a normal length leash as long as he didnt pull - we were doing the loose leash thing where you stop or change direction ect whe they pull.

I like the new way and get the idea, though I find I have to correct him alot (he is on a face harness and martingale - not the chain kind).

So Im wondering - what is acceptable behaviour from your dog on a walk, do they stay by your side or where ever they want, and do you have a reason for doing it a particular way?

I think it comes back to what you are prepared to accept.

We have three rules for our 3.(3 BC's - 16 months, 5 years and 4.5 years.)

The first is that they are not allowed to cross behind me.

The second is they are not allowed to stop and sniff.

The third is that if I speak to them they have to listen to me.

Aside from that as long as they don't put too much pressure on the lead I'm happy. I know that a lot of people wouldn't be happy, but it works for us.

My hope is that I don't get pulled into the lake by Em. My expectation is that I probably will :laugh:

:rofl:

Thanks for the quick replies :) I think we had a more fun relaxing walk with a normal loose leash - but I think when we get the shorter by my side walking going better with less correction it will be more fun!

The rules that I am working towards when on lead are: - walking loosly & relaxed by my side, not crossing behind or in front of me, as this is a bad practice if ever you are to do agility, to stay on the side I start with unless I decide to change sides (probably same thing), not to run out to the side to sniff etc. If I am going to be in a situation where I know it will be just too hard for them to suceed, I will put them on a front attached harness of head halter, till they settle down & relax, then I will shift the lead to their collar. That is my eventual aim, anyway. With teaching the new puppy, it makes me realise just how much my older girl has been getting away with, so I'm starting at the beginning with her as well.

About the only "rule" I have when we are out on a walk is no pulling. I don't care where they walk or if the cross in front or behind me. Both of mine will "heel" if I need but normally I just save that for the trial ring :rofl:. I run agility and don't have any problems with mine crossing behind or in front.

Edited by ness

I like my dogs to be a bit in front of me so they can stop and have a quick sniff in the time it takes for me to get past them, and also because if my boy is walking beside me he is always contantly staring up at me, which I find annoying (I know some people train for this, but it just makes me tense for some reason).

My main rules are: No barking at stuff, and when I make a 'gee-up' sound (a clicking noise I used to use on horses), either catch up (stop sniffing) or change direction where I'm headed. Oh, and no peeing on the stuff in people's front yards!

Apart from that I'm pretty unfussed, I like them to have some sniff time so they get some extra mental stimulation and fun. I pretty much stop whenever my girl wants to sniff since she doesn't do it too often, but my boy is less discriminating so I move him along a lot. I train them to walk on either side of me too, for agility as much as anything.

ETA: oh and sometimes I have to remind them they are not huskies and I am not a sled!

Edited by Weasels

As we decided on a med sized dog and im a small sized lady I wanted to make sure I could always walk my dog. Kobi is now 9 months and we decided early on that we would begin on a tight heal and then give him more freedom rather than the other way round and have trouble reining him in at obedience. Walks are still enjoyable and these days he has a lot more freedom but still knows the rules :)

I hope you don't mean that you are correcting your dog with a head collar. A pop on a martingale is fine, a pop on a headcollar is not and could result in serious spinal damage.

I hope you don't mean that you are correcting your dog with a head collar. A pop on a martingale is fine, a pop on a headcollar is not and could result in serious spinal damage.

Hi SecretKei :) We use a lead with 2 clips - one attached to the martingale, one to the face harness. Kinda like using reins!! So for a correction I pop the martingale. I actually find he works much better with just the martingale on (no face harness) - will be talking to the trainer about this on the weekend.

If my dogs are off lead, they just have to stick to the footpaths - not cross the road. And if they are up ahead and I stay stop they are to stop where they are untill I release. I usually only stop them if a car is coming. And recall if asked.

The pups are only just learning the whole walking thing so they are allowed to sniff and look around.

They are on leads and they just have to walk/run nicely- no pulling, lagging and don't step in front of my feet (or they will get stepped on or accidently kicked) I don't walk around them. It is their job to pay attention to what I am doing.

They are also learning little recalls and sits while out on walks.

But they can do whatever they can within the range of the lead.

Hi SecretKei :) We use a lead with 2 clips - one attached to the martingale, one to the face harness. Kinda like using reins!! So for a correction I pop the martingale. I actually find he works much better with just the martingale on (no face harness) - will be talking to the trainer about this on the weekend.

Thanks for clearing that up. Using the martingale alone is definitely the way to go :)

In answer to your original question; The only "rules" I have for walking is a loose leash and for the dog to come in close to my side and hold eye contact (watch) when I ask for it. ie when passing young children, bikes, other dogs, etc). And if I say "uh uh" it means leave it alone - don't eat it, sniff it or piss on it, lunge or bark at it LOL.

I never ask my dog to "heel" during a walk. It is IMO a very formal, precise position reserved for training and competing only.

It would be good if Amber didn't try and chomp joggers however if the joggers insist on nearly trampling us I reckon they are fair game!

If Poppy embarrasses me when off lead by greeting every person like they are her best friend in the universe I like to pretend that she is my friend's dog :D

My expectation is that there is no pulling. Don't care were they walk. Recalling is also mandatory.

Much the same as the others - with 2 I prefer them in front. Pulling is not allowed. Kirra - a wannabe car chaser - has been taught to look to me and walk with me for a treat whien a car is going past (on a not-busy road - she doesn't bother aboit heavy traffic in the city :laugh:

I'm like SK - their walk is theirs - I expect them to come in close and pay attnetion, or stop if we need to, to let pedestrian traffic etc. go by. And for mine too, heeling is a precise position so we don't use it on walks. hey walk on their flat collars and 2 metre leads.