Getting A Dog And Stuck On Breeds, Advice Appreciated

Ozone

Maybe you should write a list of the dogs you are interested in and all of you go and have a look at those breeds and go from there.

I agree with everyone about the whippets, they are fantastic loyal dogs and just brilliant to own. I also love greyhounds, I have one and a foster at the moment.

My foster literally trialed in the last two weeks and lives happily with my outside cat as does the other greyhound and two of the whippets. (her prey drive was listed as medium to high by the trainer) The littlest whippet will poke him to chase him and can be a pest. I guess it is like all dogs some like cats and some don't and it would also depend on the cat.

Good luck finding the right dog.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lapphund's aren't easily avaliable, though I have looked and considered them. Interstate breeders are probably off the cards. I have confliction information about Aussies, some say they get bored very easy because they are so intelligent, and someone else has indicated they are mellow...?

**conflicting

And that is one of the reasons you need to talk to the breeders - get correct information. Any animal can get bored and become destructive. The breeders know the temperament of their lines and will tell you what is needed for them. If you go on the weekend - whiskedaway will be there - but in the same group you have beardies, borders, corgis, OES, etc.... I can easily give you some names of trustworthy people around that group and in a few others who can guide you around.

I will be at the shows on Sunday with one of my Aussies and several of my breeder's Aussies if you want to meet some and have a chat about the breed.

I will have Holly, the red merle blue eyed girl in my signature, a blue merle baby and a blue merle older girl. I'm one of the younger people with Aussies in SA if you are looking for me (I'm 22 but people seem to think I'm younger), but we are all happy to chat about the breed if you are interested. My name is Lyndsay. :)

I'm a full time uni student with a very full on degree and my girls are all from more mellow lines and cope well with being a part of the family, walked once a day with some play time. I do very little training with mine past the basics, I'm a bit slack. But my girls are all well behaved, well mannered family pets. It really comes down to lines with Aussies. The right one could suit you well, the wrong one would be a nightmare.

Thank you so much everyone for all your good suggestions. You have given me much more to go on.

Lyndsy we are going on saturday most likely but depending on how that goes we might go on the second day. Thanks again.

I will certainly come back to this site for information in the future, you are all friendly and not prejudice like many other dog sites. I will keep you posted :)

Thanks again everyone :)

You'll be in good hands if you meet Whisked Away and/ or Lyndsay. ;)

Their dogs are gorgeous too.

Good luck with narrowing down your breed, hopefully when you see the right breed it will just click.

BTW Pedigree dogs exposed is a load of uhhh.. anyway have a watch of 'the science of dogs' I think you can probably find it on youtube still. Worth a watch for sure :D

After reading your post my first thought was Greyhound or Whippet :)

Aussie shepherds vary hugely in energy levels, but I'm yet to meet one who would be happy with a 30 min walk alone. If you intended on doing some training as well, maybe agility or something, a lower energy aussie may suit.

I've actually met more low energy BCs than low energy aussies.

A rough collie may be more suitable as they seem to be more laid back.

Pointers are nice dogs, medium/large size and are probably the most laid-back of the gundogs.

There are often a number of breeds that may be suitable for a person; it comes down to personal preference and then finding a good breeder, as they can match you with a suitable pup (within reason).

Just my 2 cents worth.....

If you and your mum are not experienced dog owners I wouldn't opt for any of the traditional guarding/utility breeds - rotties, gsd etc and frankly I wouldn't sell you one as a breeder...

Unless you are going to commit to regular attention I wouldn't opt for a coated breed such as a Collie Rough etc - it's too easy to say "oh I'll get to him on the weekend" which then becomes next week and the week after and then you have a matted mess that requires a complete shave off......you REALLY need to think about time commitments - you will be at Uni and then home studying etc....having time with friends....will you fit in a few hours a week to groom? As a few people have said a short coated dog can easily be kept warm with a coat.....

In my experience working dogs do need regular exercise - especially when younger....or you have a potentially bored, noisy, destructive dog on your hands.....there may be exceptions but I live in an area where there are a myriad of BCs, ACDs etc all living in their yards, not exercised and many are bored barkers, escpae artists and pests.....I have two working dogs here - luckily I am on acreage and they have the opportunity to run themselves stupid.....

I too think a greyhound may be a good fit for your needs...alternately a Golden Retriever - less demanding coat-wise than the full coated breeds, softer in nature than the guarding breeds but will certainly alert you to visitors....still need regular exrcise though.....but in MY EXPERIENCE don;t seem as destrcutive as Labs when young....

Just my 2 cents worth.....

If you and your mum are not experienced dog owners I wouldn't opt for any of the traditional guarding/utility breeds - rotties, gsd etc and frankly I wouldn't sell you one as a breeder...

She's stated a few times that her mother is experienced with GSD's. The OP is not interested in these sorts of breeds.

Edited by Clyde

Aussie Shepherd :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think it ticks all your boxes. Coated, not too crazy, big enough to make you feel safe but not big and boofy to make you feel like you can't control them. Look in to their temperament and see what you think.

I agree with others on here. Aussies do vary greatly in activity levels, however on average they are still a working dog, quite active and do need some training and their exercise needs met.

Yes, some lines vary, but keep in mind that it is different for breeders etc, who don't live in suburbia or have only one dog etc.

On a 30min walk a day, some Aussies could be fine, some not. I know mine would love more exercise. But they also love being with you in the house.

I recommend doing your research thoroughly and make sure you are willing to commit to the animal if they turn out to be more active than you planned - is that something you can deal with. This is also across the board with all breeds.

I think a Greyhound or Whippet ticks all your boxes as well. I have a VERY spoilt Whippet that rules the roost here. They really are the most wonderful breed. Bark to alert us if someone is around but very quiet and laid back the rest of the time. She buzzes outside for about 15 minutes in the morning and then she's done. Happy to go for long walks but just as happy to laze around. They are the most adaptable breed I've ever lived with. Much better than my Border Collies

Go the Whippies!!!

If you don't mind hairy - I second the vote for a sheltie. They're friendly, gorgeous and love learning new things and they will alert bark. They can be a bit chatty, but I find it depends how chatty the owner is ie if the owner is quiet the dog is chatty - but that's just an observation, it might not be a breed thing.

They're small enough to manage easily, and they can be taught to get along with a cat, and 30 minute walk would be enough. Grooming is important or they get dreadlocks. And like pugs they can sucker you with those big brown eyes into over feeding them and get fat.

Given your dad's coming and going, I'd steer clear of a guarding breed - after all, they are meant to guard.

Most dogs will give a warning bark. I have a mini schnauzer whose bark has sent delivery men running down the driveway!

I second RSG's suggestion re: a whippet. They are fantastic dogs. Make sure that you get one from an ethical source they - they are growing in popularity and I've seen some shockingly timid ones.

I have heard from owners that whippets and greyhounds are fragile and break their bones if they jump off something as simple as a bed? Is this a individual thing or a breed thing?

Not true. Mine have collided at top speed, sommersaulted got up and kept going. Not many other breeds would do that. I have had sprained and a dislocted toe in one of my Whippets, but as for breaking bones nope, mine jump all the time as we do agility.