Advice Needed For Trimming Dogs Nails

Huntia

Guest Black Obsession

I bought my Dremel from an online hardware store called My Tool Store. It was on special for $25 and included accessories.

They are based in QLD and the owner's name is Rob. He was very helpful and friendly.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my Dremel from an online hardware store called My Tool Store. It was on special for $25 and included accessories.

They are based in QLD and the owner's name is Rob. He was very helpful and friendly.

:thumbsup: x 2

didn't get my dremel look alike from rob but I get other bits and pieces from The Tool Store includling the sanding bands. When my current rotary tool bites the dust I will be buying from Rob.

Ask the vet to help u next time you are there. I had a ridgeback that hated having her nails done, and they are so stubborn when they decide they dont want something done

But it's not the dogs choice, it's yours as an owner and the dogs need to comply with it. It's part of everyday handling and routine care of the dog.

I'm amazed, although I shouldn;t be, at the number of owners who allow their dogs to get away with such things. Brushing and nail clipping are the simplist of tasks, yet many dogs seem to rule the roost when it comes to them.

I am sure there would be groomers around with experiences in the clipping of Ridgy nails and different opinions than mine, but I find that a Ridgy's nails become much like tree trunks and often don't have that skinny growth at the end of their nail that many other dogs do and which is the part that is what is clipped off.

As a result, the squeeze that is applied by dog nail clippers before the actual clip is made causes considerable pressure to the dog's quick and would be painful. My previous girl "Kal" (bhcs) came to me as a 7yo and she would squeal, yelp and scream the house down even before I applied the nail clippers. At the time I presumed an unfortunate experience with them. I switched over to a Dremel and after a short while Kal began to even take a snooze whilst I trimmed her nails in that fashion.

With my current boy (again, a Ridgy) I introduced the nail clippers to him as a puppy. Absolutely no bad experiences and when he was much younger his nails didn't have that thicker, larger, rounder shape to them. I was able to clip off the little (typically) sharp ends quite easily whilst he laid relaxed on his trampoline bed. As he matured, his nails became tougher, larger and more solid and he began to reveal signs of discomfort/pain. I didn't bother with persisting with the nail clippers. I already had the dremel and I have no problems with that with him.

Edited by Erny

Ask the vet to help u next time you are there. I had a ridgeback that hated having her nails done, and they are so stubborn when they decide they dont want something done

But it's not the dogs choice, it's yours as an owner and the dogs need to comply with it. It's part of everyday handling and routine care of the dog.

I'm amazed, although I shouldn;t be, at the number of owners who allow their dogs to get away with such things. Brushing and nail clipping are the simplist of tasks, yet many dogs seem to rule the roost when it comes to them.

I know this full well I am not stupid but having had a dog that wont let you do it no matter what you try I can sympathise.

Another vote here for the Dremel.

My girl Zamba has always allowed me to clip her nails, but was very frightened and would shake the whole time. (She had reason - I accidentally clipped the quick a few times and she has never forgotten it.) I got the dremel a few months ago and she is much calmer about it. No shaking. Not saying she loves having her nails done or anything, but she copes much better and is no longer shaking and terrified.

Just in case anyone with coated breeds is also following this thread - be very careful to keep any hair out of the way while using the dremel. The leg hair or tail hair or ear hair can get caught around the shaft and wrap tightly onto the tool very quickly. Happened to me the first time I used it and I now always wrap my girl's leg hair etc in vetwrap now before we start. And tie her ears back out of the way with a hair band.

Not going to be an issue with a Ridgey, though, is it? :thumbsup:

Edited by Zug Zug

It sounds like I need to invest in a Dremel. :D Off to surf the web for bargains

Thanks everyone for your support with "our" issue with nail trimming.

Erny, I totally agree with your description of a Ridgies nails. Tough like tree trunks pretty much covers it :laugh:

Just in case anyone with coated breeds is also following this thread - be very careful to keep any hair out of the way while using the dremel. The leg hair or tail hair or ear hair can get caught around the shaft and wrap tightly onto the tool very quickly. Happened to me the first time I used it and I now always wrap my girl's leg hair etc in vetwrap now before we start. And tie her ears back out of the way with a hair band.

Good advice and tip, ZZ. Helping a friend out with her somewhat longer haired dogs and their nails (using the Dremel) I used the toe end of fine fish-net stockings. Slips over the foot and the nails poke out but the hair is held back. Needs to be held firm and taught though else the stocking itself can get caught up.

Not going to be an issue with a Ridgey, though, is it? :thumbsup:

Not at all :).

Edited by Erny

It may be that particular clipper. Try another style unless you get the Dremel & its ok.

Maybe put a collar & lead on & tie him to a post so he can't get his head down to your hand. Or get someone to put hand under his chin so he can't mouth you.

Have a treat that you only give when nails are done. My poodles get a dog choc but only when clipped. When its done I say choccy now & they run to the cupboard where they are kept.

I dremel all mine on their backs on the couch. No issues and I do it 2-3 times per month depending on activity, time of the year etc. I am sure they don't love it, but they comply or there are consequences, simple :D

For difficult dogs that are having their nails clipped, I find doing them like a horse as mentioned previously is easier as they tend to behave better if they cannot see what you are doing. And standing means they have to concentrate on balancing.

Muzzle the dog and tie him up to a post so he can't back away from you.

Start with the back feet and pick them up as though you are trimming a horses feet.

For the front, let him back to the end of the lead and then lift his foot and cut his nails.

Get in , get the job done and don't take crap from him.

+1

I have to agree with this myself. I have had dogs that don't really like it, but sit/lay still with the minimum of wiggling as they know it is just going to be done.

My bitch started within days of her arriving, she command rolls into my lap (I sit crosslegged on the floor) and offers up her toesies happily, lays there then gets gently rolled off and bounces around. My male I got older and int eh beginning he pulled his feet away, wiggled and whinged. I just quietly kept doing what I was doing, only uttering an uhuh if he really tried to rip his foot away or tried to get up(he was happy laying on his back for belly rubs etc) NOw he lays still and does not wiggle, can't say he enjoys it quite as much as my girl, but he tolerates it quietly.

I did use the Dremel until the OH broke it and will again when I get around to buying another one. Till then I use nail trimmers and a run around outside takes the sharp edges off.

I would muzzle him and go in with confidence and make sure if he is quiet and calm to praise him, but ignore saying anything while he is wiggling or carrying on.

Yes, the muzzle helps.

It gives you confidence that you will not get bitten, and this confidence radiates out of you and the dog notices this and behaves itself.

But if you don't have a muzzle and are a little nervous that the dog might bite, the dog will sense your fear and have it all over you.

True story. :laugh:

I clipped my boys nails tonight for the first time ever (normally groomer or vet does them because he would bite me). Armed with clicker and cut up chicken necks I started with just showing him the clippers. Then every time he saw the clippers he would offer me his front paw. So I tapped the clippers on his nail offering a treat each time. He was cool with that so I thought why not just clip them. Got every nail done for a piece of chicken. Wohooo!! Thanks for the advice in this thread :) it's amazing what some chicken will do.

Anyone got any advice for rotties?

On the weekend I clipped my rotties nails. We where going along no probs and I was trimming a very long nail and then she had a little growel. I looked at her nail and there was a little bit of blood. It did not flow, so I must have just got the quick.

What I don't understand it this nail was really long and she had several nails shorter. So how would I have got the quick?

I am now feeling very nervous about timming her nails again.

Anyone got any advice for rotties?

On the weekend I clipped my rotties nails. We where going along no probs and I was trimming a very long nail and then she had a little growel. I looked at her nail and there was a little bit of blood. It did not flow, so I must have just got the quick.

What I don't understand it this nail was really long and she had several nails shorter. So how would I have got the quick?

I am now feeling very nervous about timming her nails again.

From what I understand, the longer the nail gets the longer the quick grows.

My (related) question to those knowledgeable about such things- is there a way to shorten the quick again?

My dog's nails are longer than I would like (& hence the quick is too), & I want to fix them

Trim more frequently. The quick will shrink back away from the end after the nail is trimmed. I trimmed every 4-5 days in order to get Willow's back to a more manageable length. I just took a little tiny tip off each, but they gradually receded.

Would like some suggestions for the best type/brand of clippers to use. My dog has always been fine until recently. I don't know if the clippers are blunt or her nail is thicker. she still lets me do it, doesn't try get away, but starts licking my hand and shaking a bit. I can see the clippers squash a bit before they clip. The ones i use are red and black and are two curved half circles. Perhaps it is time for new sharper ones??? or different sort.

From what I understand, the longer the nail gets the longer the quick grows.

Trim more frequently. The quick will shrink back away from the end after the nail is trimmed. I trimmed every 4-5 days in order to get Willow's back to a more manageable length. I just took a little tiny tip off each, but they gradually receded.

Thanks so much. I did not know this. I have been naughty and let her nails get too long, so I will have to slowly work at getting back to a better length.

Edited by buddy1