Multiple Dog Sports

wuffles

I do Flyball, Agility, Obedience and Herding with 3 dogs.

It is a struggle to fit everything in, but we just make it work! I have a whiteboard with a list of things that I am working on with each dog for each sport, otherwise I lose track of what we are up to! I also get up early to train the dogs and do lots of work in the evenings. I also make the most of my time while at trials with my dog/s that aren't entered.

It is a struggle to fit everything in, but we just make it work! I have a whiteboard with a list of things that I am working on with each dog for each sport, otherwise I lose track of what we are up to! I also get up early to train the dogs and do lots of work in the evenings. I also make the most of my time while at trials with my dog/s that aren't entered.

whiteboard! great idea! could jot down what to work on morning and night each day! LOVE it! now where are my car keys...off to get a whiteboard! BBL :laugh:

I work full time and I am obsessive compulsive - so house has to be tidy. Gardens hmmm I have a BIG block so the lawn gets mowed every 7-10 days as I am worried about snakes, but the garden beds are full of weeds. Older kids are all titled in obedience and agility, but the 2 younger ones I keep stalling at the start post with regard their agility training. I also keep threatening to do some retrieving but have an issue handling dead birdies and tracking is on the todo list. Now if I could just win lotto I could do everything....

I do obedience and agility with my two, and also train a bit of retrieving with them. I compete in the first two and hope to compete in retrieving at some stage next year.

I would love to do tracking, but I just don't have the time with those 3 other sports plus full time work. And next year I am going back to study (while still working) so my time will be even more stretched. Oh and I will be doing agility with my mum and dad's new pup starting term 4 and into next year and beyond.

I want a new pup in a few years to do obedience and retrieving with, plus conformation. Not sure how to fit it all in!

The way I cope now is Monday night obedience, Tuesday night obedience with some agility, the very occasional Wed arvo obedience (otherwise a teensy bit of something in the backyard), Thursday night agility with some obedience and retrieving, and any Fridays I am free and can be bothered, retrieving training. Weekends for trialling or retrieving training.

No, I don't have a life!!!! And a very messy house, full dirty washing basket and an empty fridge!!! And with all that training, I should have better trialling dogs, I guess that says something about my training ability then, not my dedication rofl1.gif

Edit: that is on a good week. Some weeks I just CBF!!! embarrass.gif

I don't have a life either and when Eccles comes hope to join you retrieving...should be fun..oh I go herding on Fridays you could bring Pippa :rofl: gee she is a smashing little pup :thumbsup:

I don't know how people do multiple disciplines with multiple dogs - I'm impressed.

I just do obedience recreationally and as you know, OH takes one dog and I take the other so that's all right, but for agility it is sometimes extremely difficult to get out of work early on the Wednesday. My hours in my current job are far more reasonable than they used to be (I used to work very, very long hours) but it's still tough to get out early for agility.

Now that I want Hoover to also do agility, that's going to be a challenge. Fortunately, it turns out that Elbie's class is going to start at 6.15 like usual and beginners will be at 7pm on the same night so I'll switch dogs and classes partway through the night.

Finding time to do private training is very hard because as you know, I don't like to run the dogs offlead in an unfenced oval so that means trekking to the club to use their grounds which I can't do that often. Our yard isn't large enough to have full agility equipment. I really wish I could have access to agility training equipment more regularly or that my own yard was suitable. I try to do groceries during the week at lunch time to save time on the weekends but then on weekends there's the whole dilemma of relax, do chores or do dogly things? :D I really don't have enough time to do everything I'd like to do. :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

I do agility only with two dogs these days, I took some time last year to focus on getting Darcy's CD and CDX titles and felt that I should've spent more time with Zee doing foundation agility and didn't do as well as I could've with Darcy in agility.

Most of my time with my dogs is fun/fitness - swimming, beach runs, off-lead walks as the fitness and strength required for agility is totally non-negotiable in my books. Once it starts to get snakey I'm left with 2 hour round trips to the beach for fitness as the lake ends up full of BGA and I will not do repetitive activities like ball throwing to keep my dogs fit.

Even with just agility I struggle time wise but I think that's a factor of living in an agility backwater in rural Victoria plus working full time. If I want to work on much more than 4 jumps, I'm looking at an hour by the time I put it all in the car, unload, set up, pack up and unload at the other end, that's before I even train a dog. Same with training, 2.5 hour round trip just to get there. A day trial for me is a 14 to 18 hour day given the distance required - so like quite a few people have mentioned my house/yard work suffers accordingly. :o

Obedience and agility with Ziggy. Will do ET next year if things go to plan and would like to get him back in the show ring.

Young Em is training for retrieving, obedience and agility. Once she starts trialling retrieving will probably take priority as there are many more obedience and agility trials to enter. Obedience might be her Summer sport.

I train aspects of most sports every day - even if it's just heeling turns or positions or perch work for their dinner. There are lots of cross overs and I make sure my cues are very clear and consistent. If I have an obedience trial coming up, agility might slip into the background for a few weeks but I'll still train aspects of everything - even in the same session. I'm in no hurry to put titles on my dogs - I enjoy the training so much and it's my time out from study, work, renovating the house, tidying up the block and having house guests. It's as relaxing and satisfying as meditation :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I tend to focus on one thing at a time in regards to competing, I have three dogs at very different levels of different sports so have found it easy to juggle and prioritise. One is pretty much retired from everything though he is still trained cause he is just so fun to train, another does flyball and agility and my youngest is only doing foundation agility, flyball and I've trialled her in obedience.

I dabble in retrieving but not serious enough to start competing yet. I train alot and have trained to a fairly high level in the three main sports but rarely trial due to my nerves which kinda sucks :(

Agility and flyball with be my main focus though and given Jovi loving doing foundation agility at the moment I think agility will be our main sport together and Darcy will come along for the ride as he is happy doing whatever I want to do.

Edited by tollersowned

I also keep threatening to do some retrieving but have an issue handling dead birdies and tracking is on the todo list. Now if I could just win lotto I could do everything....

You train them up and if you don't already have volunteers, I will happily trial them in retrieving :p I can handle dead birdes ;)

I don't have a life either and when Eccles comes hope to join you retrieving...should be fun..oh I go herding on Fridays you could bring Pippa :rofl: gee she is a smashing little pup :thumbsup:

Can't wait to meet Eccles! And yep, you will have to come retrieving training with me!

Do mini schnauzer's herd? What time on Friday, you might be able to rope mum into going as she has said a few times that she likes to watch dogs herding! :p laugh.gif

For those of you who train and/or compete in more than one discipline (eg. obedience, agility, flyball), do you have any specific strategies on fitting everything in, or do you just overload yourself? :laugh:

Does anyone take a break from one thing to focus on another?

Do you think that training too often could have a negative effect on the dog?

For those that work full time or have kids or other demanding schedules, do you find it hard to fit everything in?

I compete in Schutzhund (IPO, VPG) - 3 disciplines - obedience, tracking and character assessment.

Does anyone take a break from one thing to focus on another?

No

Do you think that training too often could have a negative effect on the dog?

It depends on what you mean.

Multiple short high energy training sessions v's multiple long boring training sessions??? the right method/ motivator suitable for the dog and handler???

For those that work full time or have kids or other demanding schedules, do you find it hard to fit everything in?

At times but at the end of the day it has to be done or theres no point in persisting with SchH.

Edited by Yesmaam

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else combined competing in Conformation shows + any dog sports? How did you and your dog cope?

Conformation will be the main thing I am concentrating on at the moment with Hudson, but I am keen to eventually do agility and possibly obedience as well when he is a bit older. Is this even possible? hehe

Has anyone else combined competing in Conformation shows + any dog sports? How did you and your dog cope?

Yes, I have competed with dogs in the show ring as well as several dogs sports. The dog coped just fine, apart from perhaps finding showing a tad boring (as do I ;) ) :thumbsup: Some people who show in conformation will tell you not to train your dog to sit as you want them to stand for the show ring. Dogs are smart enough to learn both :D Some of the best behaved and happy showy dogs I've seen in the show ring are ones that also train and compete in obedience or other dogs sports.

Edited by FHRP

Yes, I have competed with dogs in the show ring as well as several dogs sports. The dog coped just fine, apart from perhaps finding showing a tad boring (as do I ;) ) :thumbsup: Some people who show in conformation will tell you not to train your dog to sit as you want them to stand for the show ring. Dogs are smart enough to learn both :D Some of the best behaved and happy showy dogs I've seen in the show ring are ones that also train and compete in obedience or other dogs sports.

What she said :D

I've haven't competed in dog sports as yet but used to take my 1st border collie April to obedience 4 times a week & agility once a week. I take my present bc to herding now & again, obedience once a week & dwd workshops. This isn't as time consuming as it was with April. I now have a new Japanese Spitz pup, not sure what I'll be doing with him yet apart from taking him to obedience once a week. Would certainly rather be doing things with the dogs than boring housework. :laugh:

I do the same - but only one dog :laugh: I don't know how you do 3!!!

Tues/sundays is agility, Flyball is Wed, herding is Sat, and obedience I just do a couple quick few minute sessions a week - I was having ALOT of trouble with obedience - I have a nice big break with mainly agility, and we've come back firing is obedience, and Lottie never gets confused as what we're training for, we have little rituals before each thing, and all the training is held at different places which is nice!

It's alot of work, but Lottie loves it, so I make it fit in with uni. Most weekends are out at trials, but I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Conformation will be the main thing I am concentrating on at the moment with Hudson, but I am keen to eventually do agility and possibly obedience as well when he is a bit older. Is this even possible? hehe

Yep mine are shown and do obedience and agility. Soon to start Rally.

How do I fit it all in? - just lately, not very well and I ended up taking a break from training. We have been doing heaps of stuff around the house so training has taken a back seat. Back into it now though :)

I do not get to shows and trials very often, so when I do go I do everything I can. We are all completely puffed by the end (usually I have camped and driven 480+kms to get there) so by the time I get get home I ususally sleep for 12 hours :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I do agility/tracking/rally with my young BC girl Gael(just turned 2 years). She also got her CDX earlier this year. I have a retired 11 years old BC girl, she has titles in obedience/agility/tracking/rally. My middle BC girl KC (9.5 years) is a pet and a pet therapy dog but got her rally novice title this year since she came along to shows and thought might as well. When we were dairy farming up until Maddie was 5 and KC 4, I used them both for getting 1200 cows in per milking but we didn't go to school for cow herding, cows are pretty easy to move :) So generally I do a lot of sports but with only one dog at a time! Having 2 retired/pet dogs is nice :) they are no trouble just need walking and company really and I can take Gael out to shows or training and the seniors have company at home. KC also does pet therapy one afternoon every 3 weeks.