What Brand Of Dry Food Do You Feed Your Dog?

168 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of dog food do you feed your dog/s?

• Black Hawk Holistic
    • Advance
    • Artemis
    • Canidae
    • Nutro
    • Royal canin
    • Eagle Pack
    • Holistic Select
    • Eukanuba
    • Pro Plan
    • Science diet
    • Dick VP Natural Balance
    • Not on this list
    • Other
    • Do not feed dry food
  2. 2. What brand of dog food do you feed your dog/s?

• Bonnie
    • Coprice
    • Uncle Albers
    • Super Coat
    • Earthborn Holistic
    • Nutrience
    • Innova
    • Ziwipeak
    • Iams
    • Optimum
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Not on this list
    • Other
    • Do not feed dry food

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest english.ivy

I've been feeding Black Hawk adult to my 3yo Belgian Shepherd and young Pointer for just over 12 months. I did have my Pointer on Canidae over winter [only due to it having a higher fat content than BH] but I found he had the runs on that. Stopped the Canidae and the runs have stopped.

Very happy with Black Hawk and won't be feeding any other dry.

Uncle Albers for my two - was really suspicious about it at first given it's price but both girls have beautiful shiny coats and it's the only food we could manage to get Lucy (Great Dane) to maintain weight. If I had the money we'd probably go with Eagle Pack Power or Royal Canin Giant Adult.

Desperately need to put Maggie on something with a lower fat content as she's a portly little pork chop.

Have yet to try Black Hawk but are giving it a great deal of consideration :) My only concern is Lucy tends to drop weight on a predominantly lamb-based dry meal.

Edited by Pheebs

I have tried supercoat and eucanuba but found that both dogs did better on science diet. Am now going to give BlackHawk a go.

I have also tried raw and whilst it was great I found it quite demanding on me to provide it properly.

Great poll - there are a few brands listed that I've never heard of before. How do does everyone go about find out about these foods?

I didn't used to feed dry, but after winning a large amount of Hollistic Select and Eagle Pack at a sled race, Esky has been getting that.

I'm currently on my last bag of the Hollistic select and transitioning onto the eagle pack. I've got a catering sized icecream tub filled with a mix of the two foods, when she finishes that she'll be on Eagle Pack. I'm not sure what I'll do when it runs out! :laugh:

Working at a pet store, in this area I can tell you Euk is the best premium seller. Advance is getting very popular up here as well, Royal Canin has been very steady since we started getting it 2-3 years back, and Proplan has more recently come up in popularity. Science Diet is pushed heavily by vets, but I find there are few customers who stay on it long because of the price and better specials with other premiums. Nutro is very much a small niche and I believe it will be deleted from our range in the next year if the demand remains the same. Though it is an Australian brand and well liked because of it, the premium market is simply a hard nut to crack and not enough people know anything about it.

There are differing trends up here to other areas though. In five years not a single customer has ever asked if we get Black Hawk Holistic for example. We have just started to get Eagle Pack, but usually the only customers who buy it are those who have moved up from down south. Holistic Select is another new one in our range and like Nutro, quite slow so far.

LOADS of Supercoat sells, tons and tons and tons of it - I'm amazed at how people buy it in bulk, actually - it's a very popular choice, along with Bonnie, for those who can't afford premiums.

I feed raw. Dry food confuses and intimidates me. I needed to buy some for the Manners Minder and Buster Cube etc. and ended up going with Supercoat Sensitive Stomache. After reading the ingredients on dozens of packets of dog food it seemed like a good deal. Most of the ingredients were the same as the premium brands and it came in smaller bags. I don't think I even believe in premium dog food atm. Raw is premium. I mean, it's actually fresh meat. It's been suggested to me that I treat kibble as a supplement for obscure minerals and vitamins. So they get small amounts. I don't think they've ever had enough of it to have a noticeable reaction to it.

My last dog was on Supercoat most of her life and when she was 9 her health went downhill rapidly. It picked up again miraculously when I put her on homecooked. It was astonishing.

I mainly feed RAW but always have a bag of something in the food bin. At the moment that has been just plain old Supercoat light and mature, but i always mix fish or some natures gift tinnned food into it as the dogs are not keen on just eating dry food.

Harri also tried a bag of Nutro, but i am thinking one of the sensitive skin foods might be better even though he loved the Nutro.

Edited by Clover

Mine are on Earthborn Holstic - we get it cheap from the agility club and help raise funds for them by buying it, win-win.

Plus the older dog has allergy issues so I find that grain free fish based kibble is good.

The Earthborn Kibble has barley in ( grain) which is why Mason couldnt eat it after awhile but i was very happy with it. Wouldnt mind giving it a go for Gibbs

Mine are on Earthborn Holstic - we get it cheap from the agility club and help raise funds for them by buying it, win-win.

Plus the older dog has allergy issues so I find that grain free fish based kibble is good.

The Earthborn Kibble has barley in ( grain) which is why Mason couldnt eat it after awhile but i was very happy with it. Wouldnt mind giving it a go for Gibbs

I noticed that the Natural Pet store (online shop) are selling Evo now :)

I have labs & Bernese Mountain Dogs. I feed my young growing pups on Pro Plan large breed puppy and find they do very well on it and grow beautifully. I feed my adults on Uncle Albers, I tried many different cheaper brands having quite a few dogs, but find they do very well on the Uncle Albers. They don't need much to maintain good weight and one that was itchy on other food isn't itchy on Uncle Albers.

Very happy with both products!

I have recently started my dogs on Eagle Pack. I was feeding mostly raw but I decided to go with kibble and RMB cause it's easier for me while I'm working full time. I may have to change to something else though as supply up here is not regular so I was thinking of maybe trying Nutro. The dogs love the EP and are looking great on so I would be happy staying with it if I could.

Working at a pet store, in this area I can tell you Euk is the best premium seller. Advance is getting very popular up here as well, Royal Canin has been very steady since we started getting it 2-3 years back, and Proplan has more recently come up in popularity. Science Diet is pushed heavily by vets, but I find there are few customers who stay on it long because of the price and better specials with other premiums. Nutro is very much a small niche and I believe it will be deleted from our range in the next year if the demand remains the same. Though it is an Australian brand and well liked because of it, the premium market is simply a hard nut to crack and not enough people know anything about it.

There are differing trends up here to other areas though. In five years not a single customer has ever asked if we get Black Hawk Holistic for example. We have just started to get Eagle Pack, but usually the only customers who buy it are those who have moved up from down south. Holistic Select is another new one in our range and like Nutro, quite slow so far.

LOADS of Supercoat sells, tons and tons and tons of it - I'm amazed at how people buy it in bulk, actually - it's a very popular choice, along with Bonnie, for those who can't afford premiums.

Just to give more feedback from a pet store perspective (mid north coast of NSW) we seem to sell mostly Holistic Select but after these current supply issues Advance seems to have picked up (maybe being Aussie...we can tell customers no supply issues!) Hills and Euk and RC are next. I'm personally not a fan of Hills and Euk. We've had amazing feedback from Holistic for skin issues with maybe 3-4 negative responses, but I myself am switching to BH (shhh don't tell my boss lol) but i'm currently finishing off big bags of Pro Plan and Holistic Select.

Just to give more feedback from a pet store perspective (mid north coast of NSW) we seem to sell mostly Holistic Select but after these current supply issues Advance seems to have picked up (maybe being Aussie...we can tell customers no supply issues!) Hills and Euk and RC are next. I'm personally not a fan of Hills and Euk. We've had amazing feedback from Holistic for skin issues with maybe 3-4 negative responses, but I myself am switching to BH (shhh don't tell my boss lol) but i'm currently finishing off big bags of Pro Plan and Holistic Select.

That's really interesting Cleo, that your primary food is Holistic Select! I checked out stock levels today - four kinds, one bag each in the small, two bags each for the large. One customer did mention she had it reccomended to her too by a friend, her fussy dog really likes the fish one ;)