Clipping A Double Coated Breed

I would just like to get some opinions on clipping double coated breeds, particularly labradors.

I have a black labrador and I also live in a bad tick area, where vets in the local area would be seeing at least one tick case a day in the height of the season.

I am very concerned about my girl getting a tick and although she is on fortnightly advantix, I am also considering clipping her.

The main reason would be so that ticks are easier to find on her; currently her dense coat makes it difficult to see smaller ticks and all the labs we have had in the clinic have needed to be shaved to locate the tick.

The downsides or arguments against clipping I have heard are:

- it makes their coat grow back funny: patchy, thicker and discoloured (grows back brown for black labs)

- The double coat can actually act as a barrier to ticks???

- The double coat helps cool the dogs

She is not a show dog, so cosmetic concerns are not really all that important compared with her health and well being. I am more concerned about the last two points.

Can anyone share their thoughts/experiences with clipping a double coated breed?

Should I do it or not?

I would do a search, this issue comes up multiple times every summer on dol :laugh:

I don't live in a tick area and I'm against clipped healthy double coated breeds - when dogs get old and cannot put up with lengthy grooming sessions or have a skin disorder then I would clip.

I'm only considering it to help with tick prevention.

She doesn't really shed that much (for a lab) and she doesn't seem to get affected much by the heat either so I wouldn't be doing it for those reasons and as mentioned above I am actually concerned that clipping will negatively affect shedding and heat tolerance.

I guess I just want to to know if it will actually aid in tick prevention?

I wouldn't think clipping a Lab would make it that much easier to find a tick? It would also have to be a very short blade as they have a short coat anyway, and clipping that short would leave them open to the sun I would think? I can see how it would make it easier on say a Samoyed or Goldie though. I wouldn't clip a double coated breed if I could help it - their coat does help with temperature control, acts as a barrier to the elements.

I can answer two of your queries. Son in law clipped his two older Border Collies every year and their coats became very thick and fluffy. The young ones he has now will not be clipped for that reason.

I live in a tick area and I find the thicker double coat on my longhaired Gsd makes it harder for ticks to enter and attach. I have even found them dead on her coat.

When I was a groomer, I clipped a few short coated dogs, including one Labrador. He was clipped because he shed too much apparently (wasn't my place to judge!), but anyway we used a #10 blade so his coat was very short! It would definitely be easier to see a tick on that length coat. He was done once or twice a year and I didn't notice any difference in his coat when it grew back. You need to remember though that ticks will still get in their ears, under their tails, between their toes, etc.

Having lived and worked in a tick prone area I have clipped plenty of Labs. I always advise the negatives prior. It certainly helps owners find ticks more easily. If the dog is allowed indoors in weather extremes and is elderly then I would be leaning towards doing it even though I know it's not considered the right thing to do. When you live your life in fear for your pets every day then their coat gets pushed to the back burner.

Guys just spray permoxin daily or even 2x daily. I do it for the flys here in WA but i believe it repels ticks too. You can even mix up a tick dip and spray it daily. Like everyone else says even if clipped they will get under the tail or in the ears so no point in ruining tge coat by clipping it.

Sorry as a groomer there is no way I'd do it.

The coat protects the skin and helps prevent dehydration.

Even if the dog does pick up a tick and it's shaved doesn't mean you will see it. They can become internal, in ears, between toes etc etc etc. It's just a job you're going to have to do everyday.

Advantix every fortnight is the way I'd be heading. Permoxin diluted in a spray bottle helps also. Give the dog a spray when you're heading out walking, and it can help stop any hop on's.

I know a guy who shaves his poor Kelpie because he says she is stinky :eek: Not sure if it helps on the tick front, though.

:eek: What the?!

The way I see it, they have that coat for a reason, to help with temperature control. I have also seen some dogs whose hair has not grown back properly and that worries me in regards to the coat not being able to do what it is meant to.

Its up to you but I wouldn't do it. I think with a Lab it would still be very hard to see a tick as they have such short, thick hair as it is.

I don't live in a tick area though so I may feel differently if I did?

I had to clip down a long coated GSD for the vets a few weeks ago, it had two ticks. I would not recommend doing it, but I would do it if asked. There is a great chance it wont grow back normally though.

Guys just spray permoxin daily or even 2x daily. I do it for the flys here in WA but i believe it repels ticks too. You can even mix up a tick dip and spray it daily. Like everyone else says even if clipped they will get under the tail or in the ears so no point in ruining tge coat by clipping it.

is it effective with the flies MG? I need something for summer here with Wilbur's ear tips. We were given a cream for Casper, but it didn't appear to be overly effective :(

is it effective with the flies MG? I need something for summer here with Wilbur's ear tips. We were given a cream for Casper, but it didn't appear to be overly effective :(

Repelx is second to none for flies.

Repelx is second to none for flies.

thanks for that; i'll take a rip out to our local horse equip supply store.