Does Anyone Drive A Ford Territory

RubyStar

I'm currently thinking about trading my car in for something slightly more suitable for my dogs. I drive a Hyundai Tucson and even though I bought it with both me and them in mind, in reality, the boot space just isn't generous enough for 2 Labradors. And if I ever get a 3rd, one will have to sit on the back seat but I want them all in the back!

I like to drive "up high", so going back to a lower car is going to be hard. So I've been looking around at the larger cars that have a larger boot space. I think the Ford Territory has a nice boot space, but I haven't assessed one in person. From photos and from passing them on the street, the boot looks like it would be deep enough for the dogs to stretch out, and to install a false floor so I can store training gear and my gazebo under it. I am sick of using my back seats to carry training stuff, chairs, gazebos, etc!! It also looks wider than my Tucson, as my Tucson has stupid wheel arches that jut out and eat into the available space! Can't put crates in there because of this.

So I guess I'm just seeing if anyone drives one and can recommend it as a dog car, or not? If you happen to have photos of your boot space showing what it holds, even better if it is set up with dogs, then I'd love to see the photos pretty please!! :D

:thanks:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am driving one for a couple of weeks as a hire car after my 2001 Commodore Wagon was crunched in an accident last week. Still waiting to see if they can repair my car. Anyway, I requested a station wagon and they gave me a brand new Territory.

Have to say I'm not impressed space wise. It is big on the outside and a pain to squeeze into my driveway (have to get out and fold the mirrors in) but the interior is a waste of space. My Commodore fits two 90x60x60cm crates in the back with the back seat up. The Territory isn't as long or wide behind the back seat so I have had to fold down all the seats, just to get two crates in. It is only about 80cm long behind the back seat and about 105cm wide at floor level, narrowing as you go up. It is higher so you could put a false floor in but that would reduce the space even further because the back window slopes so much.

There is a lot to like about the Territory but it hasn't been laid out to maximise interior space. The steering wheel is a strange shape and uncomfortable to hold and it is VERY HEAVY on fuel.

oh you mean a

Fixed Or Repaired Daily

???

Nah I have a Ford Explorer Ltd. Good for the dogs, bad for me.

Heaps of fuel.

:)

NB: Ford Explorer Limited is better than the Territory. More interior space and is actually a 4WD that you can 4WD. I feel I can drive anywhere with the Ford Expl. Ltd (median strip, what's that?!)

as long as the timing chain holds out and there's no fuel budget.

Other than that, it will get you and your dogs to anywhere and back.

Edited by lilli

I had a look at one a few years ago, they were useless in the back I was shocked, they looked bigger than the Falcon wagon, they are NOT, a lot smaller. I bought a Falcon wagon it's great then last year Ford stopped production of the trusty wagon, the Territory is no replacement. The current Commodore doesn't look too good in the back either compared to the OP's earlier model, anyone sized up the new Commodore wagon???.

We had a 2007 Territory and traded it in on a Nissan Pathfinder. Aside from being unhappy with the car, we found Ford's customer service to be shocking.

The Territory is a heavy car and heavy on fuel. It's also not great offroad if you happen to suddenly find yourself on a sandy track while trying to get from a rest stop campground back to a sealed road. It's a comfortable ride, especially for long trips but it does feel it if you load it up.

The diesel pathfinder is a 4WD as opposed to a Territory AWD. Much better on fuel. All the seats fold flat and it fits a double air mattress in perfectly which our four large dogs appreciate on long hauls. The new ones also have duel aircon, a real plus for the dogs in the back.

Back of a Pathfinder with all the seats folded flat, a double bed air mattress and four very comfortable dogs:

post-37151-0-65674900-1318785660_thumb.jpg

Pathfinder loaded to the gills only added 2 litres per hundred kms to the fuel economy on the highway:

post-37151-0-94235500-1318785724_thumb.jpg

I've had my Territory for over four years now and love it. Two Kelpies can travel happily in the back for long trips and three have slept through short trips. I find it very comfortable with excellent back support. It has good visibility and is easy to drive. Fuel is a problem if you live in the city. Traffic lights seem to make petrol evaporate. I live in the country and find that when driving on the open road, it doesn't take much more petrol than other six cylinder cars that I've owned.

I drive a Tuscon and most of the time, just have the rear passenger seats folded down. I can easily fit a 30" crate, folded down trolley, gazebo and all the grooming gear and there is still quite adequate space.

You would never get two or three labs comfortably in the back of a Territory. I drive a Falcon wagon for work, but my boss has a Territory which I've driven occasionally. There is far less space, and the slope of the rear seats and window make it very narrow. At work we knew that the Falcon wagon was being discontinued and had a look at the current Commodore, but the back was much smaller, it has the same problem with sloping back window and the wheel arches and interior mouldings were intrusive. We couldn't get equipment which we need to transport in without laying the seats down. It is more spacious than the Territory, but I think you'd be seriously running out of doggie head space if you put a false floor in.

I'm going to miss the Falcon, it's great for large loads. I wish I was allowed to use the work one for show days, a Nissan Pulsar doesn't quite cut it!

I'm shopping for a new car at the moment. The Pathfinder has a huge amount of space, I've just been warned they use a clutch more designed for a lighter car, so they wear out quickly. So I've looked at a few manuals. There like a Navara but the dogs get the air con too :)

The other car I never thought to factor in was a Mercedes M Class AWD. In turbo diesel they are economical, and the rear seats lay flush with the floor, when they are folded down. Lots of luxury for the driver!

If your happy to go 2nd hand then they are affordable. I just want to see how much repairs will be if something goes wrong before I purchase.

What about the Hyundai Santa Fe? I'm in a Hyundai at the moment and it's such a solid, reliable car. I have been very impressed by the car!

Like a couple of others here I am a big fan of my Falcon wagon. Love it. I know it is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it is so perfect for the dogs.

We have just had Puppy Bars fitted to the back. We easily fit our 3 Rotts inside (one on the back seat) and could get an extra if we needed to.

We will be looking at upgrading in the next year ot so and OH wants me to get something else, but I just want a newer Falcon wagon, so that is probably what I will get.

It has heaps of grunt, economical on fuel, great visibility and plenty of room for the dogs.

The only downside for me is that I wish it had aircond in the back.

We look into the rear of a lot of 4WD and SUVs and it seems that none of them have as much room as the good old Falcon wagon. :D

So, whilst we are still pondering on what to do, we just hang onto my car. It is one of those discussions that always ends up in the "too hard basket"

We currently have a Ford wagon & love the space in the back, but sadly it is getting a bit long in the tooth & we are looking at replacing it with a new Territory. We were lucky enough for someone at a trial recently, to kindly show us his which was a 2010 model. He had a cargo barrier fitted & there was heaps of room for his 3 BC's. You wouldn't get a crate in it, but with the cargo barrier, you wouldn't need it. Also there was storage space under the boot & the rear seats folded down flat. To us, it didn't seem to be that much smaller than the wagon. It had more height in the boot than the wagon. Also the Territory holds it's value well. I have heard the later models are a big improvement on the earlier ones.

I had a look at one a few years ago, they were useless in the back I was shocked, they looked bigger than the Falcon wagon, they are NOT, a lot smaller. I bought a Falcon wagon it's great then last year Ford stopped production of the trusty wagon, the Territory is no replacement. The current Commodore doesn't look too good in the back either compared to the OP's earlier model, anyone sized up the new Commodore wagon???.

The Commodore Wagons from 2000-2007 are the big ones. From 2008 onwards they are useless space wise.

Back 3 Falcons ago (a long, long time), I had Peter Goldstein make a steel crate to perfectly fit the dimensions of the cargo space in the wagon. That crate has gone from Falcon to Falcon to Falcon.

Last year, my 2000 Fairmont AU2 wagon was really on its' last legs, so we looked at the Terry, trusty measuring tape in hand and were pleased to find that my dog crate will still fit into the back of the Terry, with the back seats up. We have GSDs and the crate is designed to comfortably fit 2 adult males.

But the Terrys that I liked were a bit more than I wanted to spend, so we searched for months and eventually found a fantastic bargain 2005 Falcon Futura with factory fitted roof racks and 2300kg towbar and snapped it up! :thumbsup:

Hopefully the Futura will see me out for another 4 years and then we'll probably hunt around for a good value used Terry ...... unless of course, Ford wake up to themselves and bring back the Falcon wagon! :cry:

PS. we have to have a big car, as it also has to be able to tow 2300kg for our horse float, otherwise there would be other cars in consideration I'm sure.

I've heard some pretty awful things about territories to be honest. My partner was going to buy an 07 territory. Signed the contract on the condition of RAC approval but they found it to be not road worthy and after doing more research, we found that they have a lot of problems with the ball joints. Although apparently this problem has been rectified in the brand new territories.

In the end, he bought a 2010 mitsibishi outlander. Not as big as the territory from the outside but the interior room is very similar. We fold the back seats up for the two dogs, and they have a lot of space. Easily fits a large crate, with enough room for the other dog to lie down. I love it and am considering buying one for myself when i upgrade :) The klugers look great but were a bit too pricey for us.

Edited by tiff-689

Thanks everyone for the replies! :thanks:

Lots to ponder!

As someone else said, trading cars is kind of in the "too hard basket" right now but as I am not in urgent need of an upgrade just yet, I thought it best to start looking around! I also would like to sell mine while the value is still up there. It's a 2009 Tucson, Elite model with leather seats (car MUST have leather seats with Lab hair flying around!! :laugh:) Got it brand new at an absolute steal, so even now it is still valued at a decent price that would let me trade in for a decent car. I definitely will be going second hand, I can't afford a new one. Don't really want to spend more than 20k.

My Tucson has had custom bars put in (only recently, too), like puppy bars but not made by "Puppy Bars". It has a divider down the middle and 2 doors. I either need this setup again, or a single crate, because one of my dogs thinks its HER turn to come out to train every time the door opens! So this has helped with my sanity, she can't jump out when I try to get my well behaved one out who won't jump out until she's told laugh.gif If I didn't need this kind of setup, my options would probably be broader.

I do really like the Astra Wagons and I might be able to fit one Lab sized crate in there, but again, it's not a "high" car. While I want to drive up high, I also have no need for a 4WD or any monster sized car! The only time I really drive my car is to dog training and trials, as sad as that sounds! I catch public transport to work. Oh and the occasional trip to Ikea, so my car needs to be big enough to fit my awkward shaped purchases :olaugh.gif

There is HEAPS of space in my Tucson with the seats down (as they fold flat thumbsup1.gif), but I guess I am really after a car with ample boot space for large dogs while keeping the seats up. I'm not asking for much, am I? laugh.gif

Thanks for that other thread link, sheena, I will check it out!

Edited by RubyStar