gone

Yes and they will rip the guts out of your dog, kick it until it's dead and they frequently drown dogs in dams and rivers.

yeah I only just heard this from a mate - they can go further in to a dam whilst still standing, wait for the dog to come to it and hold it under.

If your dog doesn't recall, then you risk it's life by walking in the bush and any areas where there are Roos. Roo's usually hop away given the opportunity but they won't hesitate to fight if cornered in a yard or fencing. They will also only take so much chasing before turning on whatever is chasing them.

Recall, recall recall and make sure it is a reliable one.

I've been fronted twice by roos.

Once while in the car, it was hopping down the centre of the road. I slowed down hoping it would move off the road, but it kept on down the road till it stopped turned and charged the car! It then finally veered off the road and hopped off into the bush.

Second time was in the yard, I went out to have a quick squizz as it was a bit of a novelty for me. I didn't even get that close to it, when it reared up on it's hind legs. I was almost cr@pping myself because I wasn't sure what my best plan of retreat was going to be. Standstill or run. Considering that damn thing would've moved faster than me. Luckily it decided I wasn't that much of a threat afterall and it hopped the fence and disappeared.

Lots of roos in the native bush area where I often walk the dogs, safely on lead after one episode of a dog with good recall deciding to go bush, came back some hours later. I've got a sure way to scare any off - I just sing (enough to scare anything) and hear them go thumping away in the opposite direction.

They are just doing what's natural to protect themselves, as sad as that may be sometimes. I still remember some wanker telling me about his "heroic" story of how they chased down a roo, he caught it, tied it up & let it loose in his backyard so they could teach his mates dog to kill it... a Staghound. The roo injured the dog (didn't kill it) but the dog killed the roo. :mad:cry:

Now when people ask I just say I have Deerhound x's, saves me from all their 'I've got a big cock' stories. :rolleyes:

ETA often the aggressive ones are roos that have been handraised & released incorrectly, happens with many native animals.

Edited by lovemymutts

I had an incident with one of my dogs at the weekend. My dog came back but not immediately she jumped a very high fence to get to the roo. I had her on a stop but the roo ran towards me and I had the baby puppy on the gorund which I picked up and was enough for my kelpie to go again, when the roo got over the fence...and he was huge...she took a couple of steps back and jumped :eek: it is over 6 feet! I have never been so scared in my life. Husband woken by commotion came to the fence and I gave him the pup and hopped in my car to try and locate the entrance to the paddock.It all happened in nanno seconds though..so fast.

Sam came back apparently before my car was out of the driveway but I took off not knowing and it is amazing the adrenalin as my only concern as I walked through the paddock was for Sam and I ignored the roos who hopped away as I approached ..thank Dog none challenged me.

Neighbour and husband were calling me that she was back and kind neighbour walked back to my car with me. I wasn't so brave then.

Sam needed a shot of pain relief and is on some drugs to help with inflamation probably just caused by the massive jump and run through the heavily treed paddock.

We have now high barricaded the fence to deter them. We have often had roos in the garden and I do roo patrol but was in a hurry to take puppy out for wee wees.

They are big and scary and my heart goes out to all the poor people mentioned with their dogs especially the poor drowned dogs and this poor lady. I hope her bluey is ok.

I feel so sorry for the roos and with development here are closer and closer to property being built.They have less space and the roos behind us are another mob so there are fights ...it is bush there but the trail bikes go up there and the roos run down. Poor things they are just trying to find a nice place to sit and eat and rest.

2 ridgies here got ripped by a roo, but thankfully were saved.

Roos and emus are dangerous, but they will usually take off rather than confront, unless there is no choice.

we have them in our garden, no issues at all, but you need to be aware.

They can also get under fences...I've seen them duck right under very low!

The school the kids went to always had and still has, tens of roos covering the ovals etc. for most of the day. THere's never been an incident. The kids would be strung up if they tried anything silly anyway. , the area is a wildlife 'refuge' and has signs everywhere.

I have seen some very serious and life threatening injuries to Dogs from annoying roo's.

They can and will drown dogs and my BIL nearly lost two that way, they survived because he waded into the creek with a very large branch and managed to get the roo to let go. They were very lucky as was he. I never allow my dogs to go after or chase roos. It is not worth my dog being badly damaged or killed. I also keep my kids away from them.

Edited by OSoSwift