Dealing With Euthanasia.

Freshstart16

When we had to have our cat PTS my vet was amazing. I was barely holding it together as long as I didn't have to say very much and he was incredibly understanding and patient. After she had passed the vet stayed with me for a minute to make sure I was coping and then left the room so I could have a few minutes to myself with her. He came back in and bundled her up in a blanket but still cradled her and held her respectfully as he took her away, which I really appreciated.

About a week or so later we receieved a card in the mail with his condolences, which also meant a lot.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked in a vet clinic and prepared animals for their owners to pick up after they have been given their wings. I have also been there for my dogs when they have been given their wings.

It is never easy. It will never be easy.

I was at my vets awhile ago when my dogs needed their annual vacs and a lady was very very distraught,

then knowing she had a dog that had to be put to sleep I took the time to make sure she was OK as she left the clinic. Little did I know that a few months after that, I would have to put my favourite boy to sleep.

My vet was great, the cremation people were great but even now, I am not coping, and to be honest I will never cope with the fact that my dogs may have to cross over.

As a vet nurse, I got used to it. Every death was awful but it was part of the job. Most of the time I could hold it together but there were always some which were very emotional.

When I had my Rotty PTS, it was at an afterhours clinic and they had a special room with a lounge for euthanasia. They left me for a long time with my girl and then after she had passed, they left me with her again for a long time. They were amazing with their sensitivity as my world was breaking apart.

I have worked in a pound that kept animals only three business days before putting them to sleep.

You get used to it. The sad (and angry part) is the excuses people have for dumping their animals at the pound. In reality, some dogs would not be rehomed easily - especially the serial escape artists.

If you don't you are working in the wrong area of the industry. I am not saying you need to be insensitive to it. It is a fact of life and if you feel you cannot deal, then something will need to give.

In saying that, putting down any of my own animals is hard.

The bond people have with their pets is amazing.

We had a little fox terrier pts, and my mother took her on her own when I told her I wanted to go. We were both devastated.

I've worked in a vet clinic for work experience and found the experience horrible, but I think it would be much worse if you knew the animal or the person, especially ones you've been treating for a chronic illness.

I shudder to think of the day I'd have to have my girls pass on.

Kudos to vet nurses and vets, you guys are amazing.

I few weeks ago I had to give my old fella Blake his wings.

Because I had taken him to the vet the day before and it had stressed him out so much. I got the vet to come to my place.

He had a gentle leaveing thanks to the vet, her assistant and FiFi.

The vet was wonderful, they were thoughtful and careing, I couldnt have asked for a better send off for him.

I miss him everyday.

I took my old staffy, Ollie for his last vet visit yesterday afternoon.

I knew it was our last visit as I put his lead on at home, picked him up and put him in the car as his little old legs just could not jump that high anymore. Then I drove the 3km and lifted him out so he did not hurt himself trying to jump down from the back seat.

The walk from the car to the surgery is only about 15 meters but felt like a mile.

They were waiting for us and I was glad when we were ushered into a consult room.

I picked him up and put him on the table and was amazed yet again at how much weight he had lost and how little he seemed to be now he was a senior citizen.

Our wonderful vet came in and explained everything, what would happen and what might happen.

I decided it was best that he receive anesthetic first so he did not stress.

My brave little guy dozed off in my arms at 4pm 25.10.2011.

The final injection was given while I cuddled him for the last time and kissed his head goodbye.

I know he had a great life, was loved as much as he loved us and giving him his wings was the right thing to do.

But today my heart is broken. I will miss him forever.

I had to pts my old dog Loki, a Tibetan Spaniel x several weeks ago. He had a rare form of cancer which deformed his skull significantly, but lived for approximately 3 years with it, much, much longer than anyone expected. His only treatment was a steroid drug which effectively reduced inflammation on his brain and prevented seizures. When we felt he had had enough we arranged for the vet to come to our house to euthanase him, and I don't think such a sad thing could have been handled any more smoothly, peacefully or respectfully. We had known the vet for about 20 years, and she bought a nurse with her. Loki was very relaxed and comfortable in his own home and passed very quietly and calmly. The vet offered to take a pawprint from him, after death, which was printed onto a beautiful poem. A lock of fur was clipped and sealed in a bag. A cardboard coffin, of the appropriate size was supplied, and he was placed carefully into it by the nurse. I was consulted at every step regarding my wishes and both were supportive, warm and professional.

It did cost me more to have the vet come to our house, but it was absolutely worth it.

I know he had a great life, was loved as much as he loved us and giving him his wings was the right thing to do.

But today my heart is broken. I will miss him forever.

Dear Staffyluv ..... you gave Ollie dog so much - not only life longevity but life quality. I know he gave so much to you. He also gave so much to us for to us, Ollie dog was and will always be a legend.

My heart goes out to you and my arms reach. I wish that I could make things easier to bear but I know that just 'being here' is as much as one can do.

RIP Ollie dog. Please seek out my girl "Kal" (bhcs) who is on the other side of the bridge too. Tell her and teach her things - you have so much experience I am sure she would appreciate your wisdom.

I don't want to think about it too much so will just C & P from my thread in Rainbow Bridge for my beautiful Tess.

"After Tess went insane, we asked for a very quick minute to say our goodbyes to her - we didn't want to prolong it or distress her further (and advised the staff of this) and were left in the room for about 15 minutes with Tess crying, very anxious and confused and to have not one, but two cleaners come in and remove rubbish from the room and ask "What's wrong?" whilst we were trying to say our goodbyes only served to add fuel to the fire."

I had lost my grandfather only days before so was an emotional wreck and the staff looked at me like I was totally insane. Worst experience of my life.

Edited by Pheebs

Oh Pheebs that is just awful. I am so sorry.

I was so fortunate when we said goodbye to Ollie as our vet already knew that Dan had passed away three weeks before.

Such heartbreaking losses so close together is hard enough without the added stress of others meaning well but just adding to the strain.

Oh Staffyluv, I'm so very, very sorry :cry: - like Erny and some of the other DOL 'oldtimers', I have followed your journey with Ollie with great admiration for both of you. It's characteristic of all you've done for Ollie that you were brave enough to ease his end. We will all miss him, as we do so many of the characters who have gone.

I had a period of time when every time I went in to my vet to pick up dog food some poor person or family was there getting their dog pts. I still remember the lady who bought her large breed in and it had the strangles (not sure of the proper name) and the vet had to tell her in the waiting room that her young dog needed to be pts as it could not be saved and was in a lot of pain. Numerous times I have patted their dog and rubbed the owners backs while they waited to go in. I couldn't not get involved because I know from experience what an isolating time it can be. You go in with a dog lead in your hand and come out carrying wet tissues.

Having pts three dogs from illness/age in my life I don't think anyone is ever ready to take this last step. So much shock and sadness comes with the finality of the act. If your vet staff are animal lovers and generally compassionate people then they can't help but be affected by either the loss of a well loved and cared for animal or the extreme sadness expressed by the owner. I don't know that there is much that can be done except to do your job quickly and professionally, respecting whatever the owners wishes are at the time and then leaving them to grieve. I have received cards and flowers from my vet and staff after the event in the past and to be honest I need them to hold it together because I know I wont. Even typing this I am welling up at the thought of how significant and final this is and it is all over so quickly.

With my last girl who was very old with serious health issues I was a blubbery mess and they held the surgery open for me so noone else would be there and let me stay until I was ready to step away from the table and let her be wrapped so I could take her home to bury. My vet was actually a little gruff with me at the time of injecting a dissappeared very quickly and left me to do what I needed to do. She kept the door open and was probably keeping an eye on me from down the hall. I know it was her way of keeping it together given she had been Ricky's vet for almost 16 years, right back to the first day she came into my care and needed help. She'd been seeing her every month for the eight months prior to her passing and was preparing me for her time coming to an end. How can you treat a dog for 16 years and not be affected when they pass? That's why she will always be my vet.

Vets and vet nurses are just amazingly wonderful when it comes to this subject. Souff has sat and bawled with them, still holding the one we had tried so hard with but probably knew deep down that we would lose the battle.

On other occasions I have opted not to hold the dog, because the dog wasn't mine and I had not bonded with it.

You have to have a bond with the dog in the first place for the process to be distressing and I take some comfort from this and that this also helps the vets and vet nurses to cope.

I would give myself all the justification in the world why it was kinder to give my 15 year old Prince Charming his wings, and I would go and discuss the matter with my favourite vet .... and all that happened was that we would end up sharing stories of his old dog with dementia and age related illness, and my old dog with dementia and age related illness, and making no decisions at all!

That process was repeated quite a few times :o and then I realised then that the vet too had bonded with this dog, whom he had known since a tiny puppy and was always a firm favourite.

In the end it was one of his colleagues who agreed that the time had come (favourite vet was away) and as heartbreaking as it was for us, I do know that we set our old dog free from pain and that it was the right thing to do. His heart would have gone on for much longer, but what good is that when everything else is breaking down?

He died with dignity, and we were able to say our goodbyes to him through the tears. Had he died when we were away from home, we would not have been able to say our goodbyes and would have felt terrible because we weren't there with him at the time. He was a dignified dog all his life and he knew that he was loved until the end and that we were there for him.

This experience that made me realise that vets and vet nurses do bond closely with some patients and it can be very, very hard for them too, no matter how professional they are.

If/when I have to make the decision for my next oldie, I wont be talking to my favourite vet about it at all.

I will seek out one of the vets who has no emotional attachment. That might not suit some people, but it suits us.

Souff