Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Venomous snakes do not attack dogs and any vet will tell you that the dog is just not on the menu for a snake.

(apart from large pythons)

When a snake sees a dog, it reacts defensivly because as far as a snake is concerened, dogs and humans are huge predators juts wanting to eat them.

So what possible reason would a snake see two dogs aggressively barking at it from inside a yard and change course to head straight at them?

Then too keep coming when a person is then standing there as well......ohh and it was a tiger snake.....pretty sure they are venomous :). This snake was in no danger, there was no one around and plenty of areas to go but it went straight for my dogs.....no amount of 'leave it' training on my part (if they actually remember when I haven't been there for hours) will stop them reacting if a snake goes at them!

Snakes have no ears, they can't hear your dog barking, the best they can detect is the vibrations on the ground.

It's a bit rich to be given advice on keeping rodent pops down, in order to keep snakes away, by people that catch and release mice and rats becuase they can't bare to dispose of them and to be lectured by someone one who kept a wild animal in suburbia, with it's predator living alongside it, what a stress and tortured existence that poor animal lead.

Oh dear. Is that all you've got left now that illogic and sheer bloody mindedness didn't make an impression? My hare has been dead a month and I'm still grieving. Do you think you could stoop any lower? Go on, I challenge you. Seriously, where does it end? Is it so important that everyone choose to kill snakes illegally like you do? Why are you even arguing? Because you don't like being called cruel? So you fling it at others who are just trying to make it clear that you don't have to be cruel if you don't want to? You could just accept it, you know. It doesn't hurt. No one will think less of you.

We had a pair of Guinea Fowl once, but the noise they made constantly, saw me leaving home with the pledge not to return till they were disposed of. I assume it was the male, kept attcking my dog as well.

We had 5 originally and lost all but one to a fox - that one lonely male now named "Roger the Dodger" made more noise by himself than all 5 combined! The females call is less offensive on the ears than the males.

I have not noticed them actively seeking out the dogs but if the dogs feel the need to get in their faces the entire flock will circle the fool making the most awful rackus and the dog will back away without any dignity, Lol.

I dont think it is appropriate for you to tell me what I should or shouldnt do in regards to my dogs and their safety.

Well you did ask for suggestions. Shade-mesh was suggested as a safer, effective alternative; and the illegality, cruelty and posed danger (to your dogs) of bird netting was highlighted.

:clap: :clap:

Snakecatcher, thank you for your info. The poor snakes get a rough deal and its good to know someone is on their side! :)

Oh I dont disagree. But if they stay away from my yard they will all be fine.

For all those people who have offered their opinion I wonder how you would all feel if your dog got bitten and the anguish you would go through not knowing whether your dog is going to pull through.

Maybe you havent thought about it hard enough.

I lost my heart dog last September to a snake, but I know that she was bothering them and not the other way round. If you kill a snake you just create open territory for another one, what I have learnt from this is to train your dogs to stay away, keep them indoors at night and in the afternoon when they are most active and supervise them outside at those times when and if they go out (on a lead if they won't recall). Anyone who thinks that by killing snakes their dog will be safe is in for a rude shock.

Basically if the only sollution you are happy with is killing them, why ask for ideas if you have made up your mind. I personally have had several snakes removed from my house in Alice Springs, but I am much happier supervising my dogs and letting the snakes do their thing.

My dog that died wasn't bitten while minding her own business, she was actively hunting them- my fault absolutely, not the snake which was just protecting itself.

For all those people who have offered their opinion I wonder how you would all feel if your dog got bitten and the anguish you would go through not knowing whether your dog is going to pull through.

Terrible, that's why I would seek an effective solution. I know what my dogs would do if they came across a snake in a net.

Kill one and another takes it's place, unless you kill them all. Sure, your dog is safe from that snake. How long until the next one? Better to come up with a plan that actually works.

It's a bit rich to be given advice on keeping rodent pops down, in order to keep snakes away, by people that catch and release mice and rats becuase they can't bare to dispose of them and to be lectured by someone one who kept a wild animal in suburbia, with it's predator living alongside it, what a stress and tortured existence that poor animal lead.

Wow. Just wow. So someone disagrees with you being cruel and this is what you dish out? Bloody hell, people keep pet rats and mice and rabbits alongside dogs and cats every day - is that cruel too? What a nasty piece of work you are. If you want to kill snakes in a cruel manner, go ahead. But don't attack other people simply because they choose NOT to be cruel.

The do-gooders will claim it's cruel to the snakes etc, because they get caught up, but it sure beats the hell out of one in your kennels and dead dogs.

Err... it is! So call me a do-gooder for caring about cruelty to animals? :confused: Shadecloth used in the same way will keep them out and the snakes won't get caught in it. Sure beats the hell out of an angry snake in pain dying in your netting. But hey, wouldn't want to be considered a do-gooder or something. :rolleyes:

Shadecloth and fine wire won't catch them and they can't be disposed of that way.

a) That is illegal.

So is keeping hares in captivity, are you selective on which laws should be followed now?

Bloody hell, people keep pet rats and mice and rabbits alongside dogs and cats every day - is that cruel too?

acutally I think this has the potenial to be very cruel, done right it can work, but done wrong - yikes!

It's a red herring anyway, and I for one am not wasting my time addressing it. It has only been brought up because someone just doesn't want to accept that what they are doing is inhumane, illegal, and unnecessary. I for one am not going to keep quiet and leave people who want to believe that killing snakes is the answer to find ways to do it in peace. Because it's not the answer and it is not justifiable. If that upsets you, then come up with a decent argument as to why it is justified. Accusing other people of cruelty or being a do-gooder is NOT justification for your actions!

The do-gooders will claim it's cruel to the snakes etc, because they get caught up, but it sure beats the hell out of one in your kennels and dead dogs.

Err... it is! So call me a do-gooder for caring about cruelty to animals? :confused: Shadecloth used in the same way will keep them out and the snakes won't get caught in it. Sure beats the hell out of an angry snake in pain dying in your netting. But hey, wouldn't want to be considered a do-gooder or something. :rolleyes:

Shadecloth and fine wire won't catch them and they can't be disposed of that way.

a) That is illegal.

So is keeping hares in captivity, are you selective on which laws should be followed now?

Apparently ...

It's also not legal to use a shock collar to train/snake proof your dogs either in NSW. I'd much rather be busted for knocking the head off a snake, than answer to the RSPCA for using a shock collar on a dog.

Apparently ...

It's also not legal to use a shock collar to train/snake proof your dogs either in NSW. I'd much rather be busted for knocking the head off a snake, than answer to the RSPCA for using a shock collar on a dog.

Still no solid justification for catching and killing snakes.

Incidentally, RJ needs to check her facts.

Apparently ...

Obviously people in NSW should not use e-collars to snake proof their dog given it is illegal.

I wonder if the RSPCA is interested in the inhumane killing of snakes?

Apparently ...

Obviously people in NSW should not use e-collars to snake proof their dog given it is illegal.

I wonder if the RSPCA is interested in the inhumane killing of snakes?

I doubt it, given that my kennels have been inspected and the netting was there in full view of the inspector. Council had no issues with it either.