A Warning To Anyone Who Feeds Bones

huski

I've fed raw for a few years now and this has never happened to me before, though after spending last night at the emergency vet with Daisy I see how easily it could happen.

We'd given the dogs a raw osso bucco bone each to munch on for dinner. All of a sudden I heard this horrible crying sound and I rushed over to find Daisy had eaten all the meat off and gotten the bone caught around her bottom jaw. She was majorly distressed, clawing at her face, hitting her head against any surface to try and get it off.

She let me hold her still while we covered it in oil to try and get it off but we quickly realised it was completely stuck on and we took her to the emergency vet to have it removed.

Poor D was super super stressed and freaking out, the vet put her under and took just under an hour to remove the bone.

She's fine now - her mouth is a bit cut up and swollen and sore. I am just so glad we were home when it happened. I will never feed any kind of bone that can be hollowed out like that again.

I managed to get a pic while we were waiting for the vet, so I could show everyone what can happen when you feed these kinds of bones :(

post-13260-0-47327900-1319936772_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup we see bone injuries fairly reguarly at work....also bones wedged between both jaws and a couple of dogs who have died from chicken frames. Why many vets dont recommend raw bones....we say only feed them under supervision

Edited by karly101

Perse I actually said I was shocked that this is the first time she's even had to go to the emergency vet considering all the things she's eaten over the years :laugh:

Thanks for all your get well wishes for my beagle! She's ok today, she is on soft food only for the next couple of days. We had some pikelets so Daisy got one as a treat this morning :laugh: (anyone who knows the EB knows she has a major love of baked goods!)

Edited by huski

poor baby :grouphug: glad she is ok :)

I have seen this thing happen a few times over the years actually, which is why I watch talia the whole time she is eating a bone, I have found that raw briskits have been the best as she cant hollow them and they are easily digested.

:heart: love to daisy

I only feed my dogs raw bones if they are the cut-in-half marrow bones. Anything smaller can splinter, or as many of us have experienced in the past, wedge in their mouths etc. Before I was a wake up about ten years ago I fed my girl a lamb off-cut bone before I left the house one morning (as was the routine) I arrived home late in the arvo to discover the bone had wedged in her teeth and she couldn't close her mouth all day! I felt terrible :(

Glad Daisy is fine now - very frightening when these things happen.

I think we all need to remember that anything a dog puts in it's mouth has the potential to cause choking/blockage.

I know more owners that have had surgery on their dogs to remove blockages from foreign objects than bones.

Hope Daisy is feeling much better soon.

eta: I was told off by a vet for feeding bones and when I asked him what the surgery ratio for the removal of foreign objects and bones - he told me point made. I took that as the higher ratio was foreign objects.

Edited by Andisa

I'm so glad your poor doggy is ok... it must have been very scary. :(

Bones not to feed include:

- CUT bones (like osso bucco)

- WEIGHT bearing bones (leg bones from beef animals)

- COOKED bones

NOTHING can ever be 100% safe, but following these guidelines makes feeding bones safer.