What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Away?

aussielover

What  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What arrangements do you have for your dogs when you go away?

• House sitter
    • Stay with a friend/family
    • Stay at breeders
    • Leave at home with someone to check/walk them daily
    • Boarding kennels- individual run
    • Boarding kennels where they can run with other dogs
    • Boarding kennels at a veterinary hospital
    • Get a professional (ie paid) pet sitter
    • Other
    • I have never left my dog

Just wondering what people think is the best option for your dogs when you go away and can't take them?

I used to leave my dog with family friends but I think my current pup would be too much for them and their house is not really suitable for a young, active dog.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mum usually looks after my two, she did when we went to Europe for 5 weeks, but in February my whole family and a mob of friends are going to Bali for two weeks so I'd say I will have to put them in kennels for the first time - it's going to be a shock for them!

Mine go to stay with trainers (Mr and Mrs Cosmolo) in their home and with their 5 dogs.

I've left them in a kennel before and they were fine. Erny visited them every day for a training session.

Personally, I think it is important that they get used to staying with someone else so that they're used to it. You never know what life is going to throw at you.

I couldn't leave them at home and have someone check on them - they are human oriented dogs and wouldn't be happy.

Edited by megan_

If I'm choosing to go away for a weekend then I take them with me - full-stop. If they can't go, I don't go. :)

For longer or unavoidable work trips I get someone in - preferably my mother, but if she's not available then I have some single friends who are happy to help out. :)

We go overseas every year.......so my lot head off to a kennel. They love it!! I have found a really good one and I feel very comfortable leaving them. My lot go once or twice a year - so they are use to it!

When I had 2 dogs and we would only go away for a short time we would get someone to house sit. But now I have 4 dogs I would not even ask as it is too much to expect from someone.

My OH's parents (well really his mother) looks after them. We never go away for more than 2 weeks. She is in her late 70's so will come a day when she is no longer able to do so. I don't think Sam would be a good candidate for staying at kennels given his reaction when seeing other dogs while out walking. We might just have to stay home or go to pet friendly places.

We get housesitters from Aussiehousesitters.com & couldn't be happier. We put an add in & had heaps to choose from, it was very hard to choose. Now we have an ongoing arrangement with the ones our dogs liked the best.

Mine stay in small kennels when we go overseas. I actually worry about them a lot less and know they are safe. If someone was looking after them and having to walk them etc I would worry about them. They are working border collies so need a fair amount of exercise couple of times a day and don't feel it is fair to have someone else to look after them, and I would have to split them up unless someone stayed at our place and did not have their own dog. In which case I don't want dog-inexperienced people messing with my dogs! In the kennels they have each other in their own villa with grassed run they share, big paddocks for exercise and a swimming hole. I also board our one cat. The per day boarding bill is $90 for all 4 of them so needless to say we don't take hugely long holidays. If we go away within NZ it is probably for agility or tracking so they come as well :)

I take my dog almost everywhere with me, but on the few occasions when I haven't been able to (work pays for hotel accomodation or something), I leave him with my partner. There hasn't been an instance yet that neither of us were available, but it probably will happen one day. If/when it does, I would ask one of my friends that own a dog Sammy likes if he could hang out with them for a while. He hasn't spent a night outside in his life, so it would need to be someone who understands both his need for firm handling but also his need for lots of love. It is something I dread.

Mine stay in small kennels when we go overseas. I actually worry about them a lot less and know they are safe. If someone was looking after them and having to walk them etc I would worry about them.

I agree with this. I definetly worry about them less when they are at the kennel.