Do You Separate Your Dogs

Odin-Genie

I met this dog in the dog park who is pregnant and will have a litter in about two weeks. The owners who own both parents aren't registered breeders but have completed all health checks etc.

However when I asked if they were going to separate the dogs when the bitch is due, they seemed unceratin and said that they can stay together, unsupervised.

I'm not a breeder so I have no clue about breeding practices. But common sense tells me that the male dog should be separated, particularly if no one is home during the day. Do you have any advice?

Note: I'm only looking for advice which I can pass on. I don't know the owners well, I have only met them about three times.

I always separate my bitch from the rest for at least 3 weeks as they are very protective of their puppies.

A person I know allowed all 3 of his other dogs to climb into the whelping box, lay down with the babies, race around in the same room, He rung me because mum refused to have anything to do with the puppies, she was outside playing with the other dogs and not tending to her babies.

He ended up having to take over full care of the litter when they were only a couple of days old but it could have been avoided had he taken control and removed the other dogs.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I hate it when people ask for advise and then don't listen.

Just out of curiousity, what breed and what health checks were completed? When I looked into hip and elbow xrays, the vets and xray readers require the dogs registered pedigree. So I'm now u der he impression that this is one health check you can't do unless your dogs are ANKC registered.

Just out of curiousity, what breed and what health checks were completed? When I looked into hip and elbow xrays, the vets and xray readers require the dogs registered pedigree. So I'm now u der he impression that this is one health check you can't do unless your dogs are ANKC registered.

I had Fern done 3 years ago and all she needed was to be permamently idenitfied by microchip. When I got the results back from the reader there was a form with them asking for a full copy of her pedigree so they (the vets?, AVA)could enter it all on their database. I didn't bother as Fern would most likely have been the only greyhound on it. So you could get your dogs xrayed and scored then and I don't see why you can't get it done nowadays.

Mine stress if they are moved to another room on their own, so stay in the lounge with the other dogs BUT mum and pups are inside a puppy pen with sheets covering the pen for privacy and a roof on the top to make it den like.

Certainly wouldn't allow the other dog to have access whenever he wants.

Seperate by a puppy pen.

Also it would depend on the bitch.

When my Dobe had a singleton puppy we were told wasn't there, she would take any dog who went within 12 feet of her whelping boxes head off. She was in a completely seperate room. Also had to keep her away from people she didn't know until the pup was older for the same reason.

With Rommi as she is softer we will try the puppy pen in a room that is out of the way but leave the door open etc and see what she wants.

I know of a breeder whose dogs are not pure and yet she is able to have their hips and elbows x-rayed. She has recorded their pedigrees though.

I think anyone can get their dogs hips scored, but if they need to be recorded or have the info used to register litters etc they need the info.

The vet hospital I worked at sent xrays of a couple of unrego'd and crossbred dogs to be scored, my unrego'd Rottis elbow xrays were sent off as well - that was 14 or so more years ago though so not sure if that makes a difference??

They are labs. I do think they got the hip and elbow scoring done. Both the dogs are on the limited register.

Oh ok, so the dogs are registered, they just won't be able to register the puppies.

When I looked into getting Isaaks hips and elbows done, I got the impression the place reading the x-rays would only do so if a registered pedigree was supplied with the x-rays.

This may just be with some other animals, but is the bitch fertile again immediately after giving birth?

No.

Mine are always separated, sometimes by a play pen, sometimes in another room - depends on the bitch

Ask them what they will do if the dog goes to investigate the pups, the bitch doesn't like it, attacks him and in the ensuring brawl the pups get squashed and killed?

The bitch should be the one to say when she wants another dog any where near her pups, they are all instincts when they have new born pups and the owners could be in for a big surprise how different their bitch is at this times.

This may just be with some other animals, but is the bitch fertile again immediately after giving birth?

:confused: guessing you are not a breeder ?

Dogs are only fertile roughly twice a year for a few weeks unlike cats who can become screaming horny banshees within a week of giving birth & continue to call most of the time

My girls are seperated, they hate being in the same room I only ever did this once & every time a pup whinged or made a sound they wanted to get to each others pups.

Normally friendly with the cats too they don't like any other animal being near until pups are about 3 to 4 weeks old then they relax about it.

The first litter I bred when I had both sire & dam I separated them when the pups were born. However, Sascha fretted when Lennon wasn't there so I let Lennon in on a supervised basis - they were fine. After a while Lennon used to get into the whelping box with the pups when Sascha went for a pee or to eat :laugh: Sascha was also fine with the cats getting close & looking at the puppies. That litter, and the subsequent litters, grew up with both Mum & Dad looking after them!

Separated from all the other dogs, and my entire male went on a holiday (not the sire of the pups - different breed :laugh:). She wouldn't let the desexed male that stayed behind anywhere near the puppies, but funnily enough, when James came home about 3 weeks later, she'd let him sit near the box without a worry... but then, both he and my other boy had no idea what was going on in that room, and didn't want to come down at all!

I don't seperate my bitches and dog when a bitch is whelping, but I know my bitches, some people find it necessary.

Normally, I whelp bitches in the kitchen, with the family there plus any other dogs and visitors that turnup. I find it doesn't upset my bitches, but then my bitches are used to living in a lunatic asylum.

A few litters a go I rang my vet for oxytocin <sp> who offered to pop by with it on her way to dinner, she laught when she walked in to my house, I had a number of girls from my daughter's class learning the facts of life, ie what happens after sex and you get pregnant :rofl:

Also I find after a day or two most of my bitches allow the other dogs into top and tail, accept one of my old bitches who used to lactate within a few days and would start to help feed the puppies.

I've tried separating them and find it causes angst and does nothing good. My girls are very close to one another. I do keep the other bitch or bitches (at the moment I've only got two, but I've had as many as four) from getting into the whelping box during the whelping and in the two to three weeks afterwards. I have a couple girls who love puppies so much they would try to take over the litter, given half a chance. I've mostly had large litters, and I generally allow the broodier bitches (who come into milk when there are pups around) to do a little mothering at week two or three . . . by which time the Mum is beginning to get bored with the pups and spending less time around them. This once saved me a lot of trouble when Mum got mastitis and nursing got difficult.

Edited by sandgrubber

When my dogs have had pups in the past I've separated the bitch and pups from the others so that she can have some peace and quiet to look after the pups.

Each bitch has only had to see the male dog and she'd fly at him for the first 3 weeks, but most were fine with the other bitches having a look at the babies.

Funnily enough, my Lab girl was very protective when any of my other dogs came near the pups, but was happy for my brother's dog to come and sit in the box with the babies - go figure?

T.

Each bitch has only had to see the male dog and she'd fly at him for the first 3 weeks, but most were fine with the other bitches having a look at the babies.

T.

Exactly what my girl is like with my male dog. We have to put her on lead just to walk past him while he is sitting on the couch otherwise she will attack him.

If he is outside while she is out there she will leave him alone until he looks to be heading towards the house then she will fly at him. When the pups are around 5 weeks old and can spend some time outside she changes tactics and she will try to distract him away from the pups with a toy or similar.

Although he won't hurt puppies, he doesn't like them and will growl and run away. No wonder, poor boy! :rofl:

I can't really say how my bitch would be with the other girls as she lives with me and the others live with my daughter.