Creative Dol Ers Needed

mumsy

Okay guys, we have adopted a new Golden Retriever who is 1 year old. His current name is Rhys. None of us like the name and we are thinking of changing it. Probably to something that sounds reasonably close!! We aren't getting anywhere so I'm asking for some creative thinking. Come on and give us your best!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really if you want to change it to something completely different do so and call the dog by both names until he responds to the new one. I have a puppy in care whom I named Chaplain. He comes to Happy Chappy, Crappy Chappy, Chubby Chappy, Grumpy Chappy and when he is REALLY in trouble C H A P L A I N!!!!!!!!!!!!!

efs

Edited by Ams

Picture and personality profile please :)...... for 3 weeks I was asking people for names.... pup was nameless for 2 days... then he did some really funny run and slipped it was to funny for worst but straight away the name Gus came to mind and stuck.

One of the teachers I work with - his name is Gus too. On an excursion he fell and broke both wrists. Suits him aswell :rofl:

I think with such a young dog as long as you use a reward that he values highly (be it food, fave toy, whatever) whenever you call him, you should be able to name him whatever you like. I got my old boy as a rescue at about 9 months old, I'm sure he had a name before he came to me, but it only took a week for him to start responding to the name we chose for him.

Pick any name you like. It doesn't have to sound similar at all.

just spend a few mins loading his name with food like loading a clicker or bridge word.

They pick it up in no time.

Thats how I get my animals to learn their name.

People have often commented on how well my animals respond quickly to their name. Even my cats impressed some people when they had to go to a tv job and the trainers said they can't believe how they respond to their name. They just got taught the same. Say their name and a piece of food would be magically right in front when they turned. They are food mad though which helps.

my girl came to us from a pound at about 18 months old

they had been calling her Kelly, but she didnt respond to it and we thought a new start needs a new name, she was without name for a good week , we tried alsorts of names, but i called Jess, and she responded, so she is jess,

i wouldnt worry about your boy needing a name simillar to rhys, so just go with something that you all like

You can break your back choosing a name only to have something completely different stick later LOL!

My aunt once spent weeks poring over name books and asking opinions of all and sundry of a glorious posh name to call her Persian. On the day that this ex-show Grand Premier arrived she had Sir Lancelot all picked out, and a young cousin took one look at him and announced "Look at Mr Funkypants!" which cracked everyone up and to my aunt's despair for years, Mr Funkypants he became forever after!

RP hahaha Mr Funkypants, that's the cutest thing ever. Perfect name for a very dignified cat :D

I really like the name Tyce Diorio, he's a choreographer on a US tv show and I think the name has a great ring and could be good for a dog... I dont particularly like just Tyce tho so I don't know if I'd ever use it.

I agree, pics and personality of Rhys needed.