De Barking Dogs

ludwig09

Hi everyone,

I walk past the same house everyday on my morning walks and am quite sure they have had their dog debarked (or voice softened). He was a crazy barker, still is but it is nowhere near as loud or piercing. My first reaction was i felt it was very cruel so i did a little research on it and now I dont know how I feel as sometimes it is peoples last resort it seems. Would just like to hear what others think or hear peoples experiences if you have done it to your dog and why you chose to do it.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lifelong friend who was living on a property well out of town with her 4 pet dogs. Due to age and health she could no longer live way out there and had to buy a house in the town. The dogs became very noisy due to the change of enviroment and she wasn't well enough to go through all the training and supervision to check the barking so they were de-barked. No ill effects and the dogs are all living happily in the town, making all the 'noisy' they want to without disturbing anyone.

We had one of our Kelpies de-barked, best thing we ever did. We tried everything else to stop the barking. The debark we had done still leaves the dog with a voice but not that piercing bark that goes straight through you. We had to get a letter signed by a JP to have the de barking done. when it was first done a few weeks ago she sounded like a dog with kennel cough, now she has a nice quiet bark but can still enjoy barking without annoying us and neighbors. There is another de barking procedure where it stops the sound altogether but we didn't really chase that option up. She doesn't appear to be effected by having the de barking done, she is still as happy as ever.

She is a very hyperactive dog,gets plenty of exercise running with two other dogs. She is the energizer bunny on speed :rofl: Whe wears the other dogs out and when they decide it is rest time she stands there barking her head off wanting them to play, this goes on for hours. Even when she is playing she had to bark the whole time. We tried all the bark collars on her, she outsmarted them, she would bark enough so the warning sound on the collar would sound, than stop and this went on until she wore the battery out on the collar and than she would be into the barking again.

My friend just had to produce a Doctor's certificate to prove that she wasn't capable of the training etc. and no problem, it was done. I think there are some circumstances where going straight to de-barking is justified.

eta -spelling lol

Edited by pebbles

Its also better than some of the 'training methods' I have seen to stop barking. Better than a dog being hit for making noise, or being dumped outside and ignored or being surrendered or abandoned......

I wouldn't do it to one of my own dogs due to preference (the sound debarked dogs annoys me far more) but I do not judge anyone who has had it done.

I know a breeder whose kennel is in the suburbs. All of their kennel dogs are de-barked. They are happy, healthy and don't seem at all bothered by their 'lack of voice'.

As others have said - it is a much better way of dealing with barking than some training methods.

Guest lavendergirl

Wasn't there a case where a breeder was prosecuted for debarking dogs? I thought it was illegal unless all other avenues had been proven to have failed. It may be different in each State perhaps?

Wasn't there a case where a breeder was prosecuted for debarking dogs? I thought it was illegal unless all other avenues had been proven to have failed. It may be different in each State perhaps?

Yes, although a strange case, her situation was because she showed (dog show) her de-barked dogs.

For chronic barkers where all other methods have failed, and the dog is an adult, then I have no problem with having a dog de-barked.

I simply cannot understand why in some states this procedure is criminalised by governments.

Barking dogs is the NO.1 COMPLAINT to councils - and this situation is only going to get worse as houses are closer and closer together on smaller blocks of land, and more people are spending less time at home with the dog.

Letting months go by while a due process is followed only takes up the time of council officers and everyone else involved with a chronic barker, and tempers become more frayed and neighbourly relations wrecked.

What is the point?

If the barking dog is a problem, and other methods have failed, then the owner should be able to get the dog to a vet and have the problem solved humanely.

I think de-barking is a far better option than putting a dog to sleep, or re-homing the dog, simply because the barking is annoying other people.

De-barked dogs still think they are barking - I have never seen any unhappy de-barked dogs. They just sound as if they have a croaky throat.

In an ideal world I would love to hear them all dogs barking freely, but a lot of other people don't want to hear this and they have the law on their side. Sigh.

And as for the rule in Victoria that you cannot show a de-barked dog .... since when did the dog's bark get judged in the show ring? :mad There must be something in the water in Victoria I think. Crazy stuff.

Souff

different in each state. Not an issue in SA

You will get in trouble in Vic if you send your dog to SA and get it de-barked there.

I am not sure what happens if you purchase an already de-barked dog and then take it to Vic.

Edited by jr_inoz

I have mixed feelings... I admit my kneejerk reaction was 'No way, barking is natural and shouldn't be restricted in that way' but after reading on I am a bit conflicted. Indeed there seem to be some circumstances where it has been used to good effect. I couldn't do it to a dog I owned, but I do see the sense in debarking if other measures fail and there are chances of rehoming, baiting, or being PTS. Overall I will reserve judgement until I have learned more.

I have mixed feelings... I admit my kneejerk reaction was 'No way, barking is natural and shouldn't be restricted in that way' but after reading on I am a bit conflicted. Indeed there seem to be some circumstances where it has been used to good effect. I couldn't do it to a dog I owned, but I do see the sense in debarking if other measures fail and there are chances of rehoming, baiting, or being PTS. Overall I will reserve judgement until I have learned more.

Yeah, but so is reproduction.

We quite happily desex our pets using much more invasive surgery to debarking. I have a desexed bitch here. The reason she was desexed was, ultimately, to make my life easier :)

I have no problems with someone debarking their dogs. It can ultimately make the owner's, the neighbours' and the council's lives easier. :)

In some instances it is the best and only option available. Particularly if you have a number of dogs living together.

Unfortunately in Victoria you have to "Jump through Hoops" to get your dog debarked.

You have to first show and prove that ALL other options have been explored first.

It is considered a "Last Resort" and no debarked dog is allowed in "Public Places" such as dog Shows. By definition that would include the local park. :confused:

To my thinking it is far better than having an animal seized and PTS for being a nuisance. Of course if training methods, Bark Control Collars, medication etc. fail you can then get a certificate stating you have tried all avenues and then you may have your dog debarked. But forget about, showing, obedience, agility etc. with him.

He/she is not allowed.

Yes, although a strange case, her situation was because she showed (dog show) her de-barked dogs.

Yes and she was dobbed in by someone on this very forum. Disgusting.