Amusing Mistaken Breed Names

pie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in the pet industry and my colleagues insist I'm pronouncing the name of my Schipperke incorrectly. Apparently it should be pronounced 'shipurk'. :laugh:

I recently heard from amypie (OP) how this breed name is meant to be pronounced, and I would bet there are a certain number of pure breed enthusiasts that still don't know every dog name under the sun and their pronunciations. So instead of laughing at people not being able to pronounce it and leaving it at that, maybe take the opportunity to perhaps educate some and tell us all how it is actually meant to be pronounced!

some people take things too seriously. Really, what are people allowed to laugh about any more, political correctness gone too far. You'd be surprised at how many people wouldn't believe the correct pronuciations anyway.

My son misheard Weimaraner as "bite your arm off":laugh:

And I got ripped off with my Malinois pup - she's looks nothing like a Malamute, must be a GSD cross. Errrrrrr...... :rofl:

oh goody you can clear something up for me!

friend and I were talking about malinois. I pronounce it 'mal-in-wah' and my friend thinks the correct pronunciation is 'mal-in-woo'.

She is actually Belgium though so I am inclined to think I must have it wrong?

Mal - in - wah :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?malino01.wav=Malinois

I've never heard it pronounced malin- woo by any european friends either.:confused: Though they do pronounce the other three types of BSD's in ways that I could never get my tongue around :laugh:.

My son misheard Weimaraner as "bite your arm off":laugh:

And I got ripped off with my Malinois pup - she's looks nothing like a Malamute, must be a GSD cross. Errrrrrr...... :rofl:

oh goody you can clear something up for me!

friend and I were talking about malinois. I pronounce it 'mal-in-wah' and my friend thinks the correct pronunciation is 'mal-in-woo'.

She is actually Belgium though so I am inclined to think I must have it wrong?

If it was the 'wah' sound at the end it would be 'noir'

Nois sounds like 'oo'.. French is a strange language :) haha

thanks!

Xolo I love your pronouciation education too. One of my friend at work thought he'd finally be able to stump me on breeds and held up a pic of your dogs in one of the dog mags, laughed and announced 'ive finally got you, bet you don't know what these are!'. He was SO ticked off when I not only identified the breed right but then proceeded to teach him how to pronounce the name! :D

I commonly type staffordshite or yorkshite by accident :o

ahh Puddleduck I love that..... I tell kids its a good one to stump there teachers!

People I work with (yes, vets and vet nurses) continually call Bernese Mountain Dogs, Burmese Mountain Dogs.

I've tried to exlain that the cat is a Burmese, the dog is a BERNESE Mountain Dog. :banghead:

Is very embarrassing when they say it in front of clients.

I read a very funny story once re Bernese Mountain Dogs...lady went to visit some friends who owned a BMD and was introduced to the dog as she went into the house. Some time later the owner of the dog asked "Why do you keep calling the dog Bernice?" Visitor said "I thought you said she was Bernice the Mountain Dog" :laugh:

How do you pronounce schipperke? Is it with a ee sound on the end?

People get Borzoi wrong all the time. Its not hard. you say it how its written. They're forever saying boyzoi.

Skip-er-key. Just imagine someone skipping over a key. Random, I know, but it works! :laugh:

I heard the funniest pronounciation of Dogue de Bordeaux the other day. The lady was an owner of a Dogue x American bulldog and was very enthusiastic to show us photos of her

"doh-gay du bor-day"

:laugh:

Edited by EmiLeigh

I work in the pet industry and my colleagues insist I'm pronouncing the name of my Schipperke incorrectly. Apparently it should be pronounced 'shipurk'. :laugh:

I recently heard from amypie (OP) how this breed name is meant to be pronounced, and I would bet there are a certain number of pure breed enthusiasts that still don't know every dog name under the sun and their pronunciations. So instead of laughing at people not being able to pronounce it and leaving it at that, maybe take the opportunity to perhaps educate some and tell us all how it is actually meant to be pronounced!

I have been exposed to a lot of different breeds since being on DOL, but some of them I wouldn't have a clue on how to say until I have heard someone say it in real life. For the rarer breeds, such as yours, there aren't many opportunities for people to hear the correct pronunciation in real life :)

Out of all the posts you could possibly chastise you pick on the one that clearly indicates I've tried to educate the people involved and they refuse to believe the correct pronunciation? :confused:

I spend my life trying to educate people about the correct pronunciation, it's odd that you would come to the conclusion from my post that I don't. I don't take offense when they get it wrong, but I do find it amusing when they think I'm the one in the wrong! :laugh:

No intention to "chastise", yours got picked out because of the breed name and my recent experience with it. I was merely stating that I heard it said in real life only about a week ago and was surprised at the pronunciation (so much so that I don't think I'd be able to repeat it!), so thought it might be an idea if you maybe told us all HERE how it is pronounced! Because your post didn't specify. Had I not heard it spoken the other week, I would have read your post and gone "oh, that's how I would have said it, but now I am still none the wiser on how it is meant to be said!" :shrug:

I have no doubt you educate people in real life, but your post had the opportunity to educate the many reading this thread. Your choice I guess if you want to take it :) Sorry if you felt chastised.

Edited by RubyStar

when i first started going to dog shows, i used to call the maltese, maltesers. my mum and sister would hide behind me in embarrassment. for some reason i just couldn't understand that the plural was the same as the singular. Oh and i noticed that i may be saying the peke's the wrong way too, can anybody help, what is the right way to say pekingnese?

I can't even pronounce my dog's breed :o:o:o he is a petit brabacon - I have no idea how to pronounce the Brabacon part. Lucky they are not known as petit brabacons here but rather smooth coat griffon bruxellois (the bruxellous I have trouble with pronouncing as well :laugh: maybe I should have just stuck to golden retreivers :laugh: )

Ok, in the spirit of education (after my head exploding over the rockwheeler :p ) and since many people do pronounce "rottweiler" incorrectly, the correct pronunciation is:

Rott-vy-ler, although Rott-wy-ler is also ok if you feel silly pronouncing the W with a V sound :D

Ok, in the spirit of education (after my head exploding over the rockwheeler :p ) and since many people do pronounce "rottweiler" incorrectly, the correct pronunciation is:

Rott-vy-ler, although Rott-wy-ler is also ok if you feel silly pronouncing the W with a V sound :D

Wow, see, learn something new every day! While I've never said or heard anyone (besides on DOL) mention that people say rockwheeler, I honestly had no idea that the W in Rottweiler was meant to be pronounced with a V! And yes, I think I will feel silly using a V so is it bad manners to continue using a W? Never heard anybody (with an Aussie accent at least) use the V sound!