Guest english.ivy

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed your dog/s once or twice a day

• Once
    • Twice
    • Seasonal
    • My dog is still a growing puppy
    • Other

Twice daily here. Mine get a raw chicken leg each for breakfast and their kibble or main meal (sometimes raw bones) for dinner. I do it this way for better weight management and it seems to keep them on a fairly even keel.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine get one main meal which is at night. They do get a small brekkie though in the form of a Kong and/or treat ball when we leave for work.

Nights we are at training they don't generally get a real dinner, just training treats.

Edit: My big boy throws up if he has nothing for breakfast, so he at least has to have something tiny!

Edited by wuffles

Twice a day for me, but my pup's still only 6 months old. Haven't decided whether I'll keep him to that, or just make it the one meal once he's done growing, I'll probably just keep to the 2 meals a day but if he gets fussy, he'll be only getting the one. I tend to make breaky either a bone or a kong or a bit of a treasure hunt to keep him occupied then make up for it at dinner which works well for us at the moment.

I feed according to the dogs requirements as not all dogs have the same metabolism or the same needs.

Younger dogs/older puppies need twice daily feeds, dogs that don't hold condition need more than one feed per day, dogs that are 'good doers' need only one feed, and so it goes.

normally twice but sometimes I skip a meal, like last night, meat wasn't thawed out so I decided they could have a fast.

This is what we do too. When we had ACD's as adults they were only fed once a day but the dogs we currently have - a grey and a tiny pap X - I am more comfortable feeding twice daily.

So you think Cavs are vocal at dinner time you should try 5 GSDs, enough to wake the dead :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Them too huh? It even drive my GSD nuts, he just sit on his bed waiting patiently with a pained look on his face while they carry on. Even when told to hush they sit there trembling and whining softly. Then when realeased from their "sit/stay" they do a comical running on the spot and almost slide into the dishes routine ala an old Hanna Babera cartoon effort.

Edited by LizT

There is no routine in this house as such - done deliberately as I do not want a dog which hassles me when it thinks it should be fed.

Breakfast goes into the bowl before I leave for work and gets eaten during the day. If he's had a big run before work then he does not get breakfast left.

Dinner - its when I feed it to him. If there is still food in his bowl I don't feed him but if he eats that in the evening I will add some more at bedtime. Other times he gets fed when I get home or later in the evening and other times he does not get fed at all as he does not need 2 meals a day every day of the week.

This is what I do also. They usually get a bone/treat once a day also.

Once a day only here. I'm surprised by how many people feed 2 or 3 times a day for adult dogs :confused:

Why surprised?

Our adult dogs have always been fed twice a day.

I eat three times a day, so I think it only natural that my furkids get fed twice a day (plus healthy training treats) Same amount of food, just divided in two. If I ate the same amount of food in just one meal, I don't think it would do me any good. :o

I don't think I could keep weight on my girl if I only fed her once a day - she eats a lot of food, more than I'm willing to feed in one sitting.

If you feed the same amount of food in one meal, that you are currently feeding in two meals, your dog will maintian weight better.

I don't think I could keep weight on my girl if I only fed her once a day - she eats a lot of food, more than I'm willing to feed in one sitting.

Same here. I do not want my dogs to have an empty stomach for 24 hours and I wouldn't feed their whole daily ration in one meal. Bloat!!!

Same here. I do not want my dogs to have an empty stomach for 24 hours and I wouldn't feed their whole daily ration in one meal. Bloat!!!

Agree.I have greyhounds so as advised by the rescue group I got them from two meals a day.Plus I feed my two before I go to work at 5am.That's a long time to wait for another feed and yes my biggest fear with one large meal...bloat.