What Is The Most Popular Colour In Your Breed?

Esky the husky

I met a GORGEOUS Liver and white pap about a year ago. Sweetest dog, it put them as my favourite Toy breed.

The liver is such a different colour, however it's not within standard.

They really are a fantastic breed choice because they're so adaptable. :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the enquires we get that mention colour specify fawn as a preference. The lighter the fawn, the better (but not actually white.. go figure).

Behind that, blue or brindle.

Black greys are definitely the hardest to find homes for- Grace (black) was with us for a year before going to a home, despite being a clean, quiet, well-behaved dog with an excellent temperament. In contrast.. Ru (white with blue) has had several enquiries already, despite being a naughty, nutty, teenage boy who is going to require a lot of patience and commitment from a home.

There is a gorgeous rather enormous black Greyhound down here. The owner said that people will say hello to her other Greys before him.

In Whippets, hmmmm don't think there is a most popular colour but the one who have a fair bit of white and flashy markings would probably be most popular. Unlike myself who said I don't care what colour the puppy is but I want a solidly marked dog so as I do not have to worry about sunburn :)

I was talking about greyhounds for a pet the other day. Didn't enter my head you could ask for a specific colour. I thought you'd have a choice of what is available and would go with the personality that would suit the household rather than a colour preference.

Guess I'm a dill.

Your not a dill at all.Most people will go with what suits the household but if they look at a list of available greys and their is a blue or even more popular blue and white the black dog with the greying muzzle will get overlooked most times. :( .

I'd say most 'commonly seen' pomeranian colour would be orange, most popular or sought after would be white or parti.

I would have a tribe of every colour if I could :D colour didn't really come into it for me however I did lean toward orange, but that went out the window! :p

For the German Shepherd Dog (GSD) I think that the standard black and tan is the favourite, with perhaps a leaning towards the darker masking around the face. A lot of people don't realise the range of colours a GSD can come it! I have been asked so many times already what sort of dog Roscoe is, because hes a sable. (Which just so happens to be my favourite colour ;)) Despite the fact that the first recorded GSD was in fact Sable.

Example,

5998125390_eb6d9ef4d7.jpg

rickyleap2 by lovemesideways, on Flickr

Black and Tan

6469996049_be664bd38c.jpg

Roscoe at 16 Weeks by lovemesideways, on Flickr

Sable :) His coat has already changed a lot, and will continue to do so until he reaches maturity.

And for a Labrador, I think it changes by the season to be honest. Chocolates were the favourite, but I have noticed that the number of black lab puppies is increasing dramatically. So I would say that Black labs are becoming the new favourite.

Which they should cause black is obviously the best :D

5573135556_2c45392f27.jpg

bday5 by lovemesideways, on Flickr

Not biased at all.....;)

Edited by lovemesideways

Shell I can see why you're partial! Absolutely gorgeous :p

My fawn kelpie attracts a lot of attention while we're out and about, but I don't think a lot of people know that kelpies can come in fawn, silver or cream. So they are popular in the sense that people like them when they see them, but not in the sense that ppl go out looking for one I suspect.

I think in Shih Tzu's the most popular colour is Gold and White. I would love a nice Black and white or Red and white one day. The solid blacks just don't do it for me though.

Shell - I LOVE Zero's eyes. There is something memorising every time I see a photo of him.

Black and white with blue eyes in sibes is usually everyone's favourite. I want one but not at the expense of the dog's structure or temprement.

Personally I'm partial to a wolf grey with brown eyes myself:

6449992153_545298b902.jpg

We have a dog that has been dumped on us at the kennels I work at and he reminds me so much of Zorro. Poor old lad is 13 :(

I was talking about greyhounds for a pet the other day. Didn't enter my head you could ask for a specific colour. I thought you'd have a choice of what is available and would go with the personality that would suit the household rather than a colour preference.

Guess I'm a dill.

We don't offer a choice (although some groups do, for whatever reason) but that doesn't tend to stop people wanting "one of those biscuit-coloured dogs" and saying so on their application in the extra information section.

That's interesting, my favourite Greyhounds are black , followed by Fawn

*Puts on used car salesman suit*

Have I got the dog* for you..

Doug2.jpg

*Totally not the Doug who dug the Sarlacc pit in my backyard to throw jedis/toys into.. that was surely some other dog named Doug >.>

But seriously.. Lazy Doug is a lovely boy but he has everything stacked against him- he's black, he's male and he's on the larger size. I expect Doug will be with us for at least ten months, if not much longer, mostly because he had the misfortune to have a particular hair colour. In greyhounds, black is almost like being one of those pale, freckly people with bright ginger hair.. there's a niche market out there but it isn't big.

Personally though.. I could never understand the black hate- with the right tools, you can take a fluffy, brownish dog and make them look amazing. I have a white and fawn dog but despite my best efforts, I've never been able to get him looking quite as stunning as a glossy, black dog. Black, of all the coat colours, really does come up the best.

I think you're right Boxagirl that flashy red Boxers are probably the most popular, and they are my favourite too.

I do love my plain red Boxer though with his black velvet face. I also appreciate a gorgeous brindle like Clemevi's girl Charli. Mumsy has a cute white boy too. :)

Oh alright, I just love Boxers, all colours... :laugh: