Breed Query

Talien

Hey guys I know this is really hard without a picture, but:

The other day when I took Odin to the vet I saw a very big (pregnant?) white dog with a curved snout. It reminded me of a put bull but looking at pictures of pit bulls it looks nothing like one except for the mouth.

The nose didnt dip in at the eyes and the fear I felt at seeing this dog has made me want to learn more about it.

If this works...

So If I use dots, a normal dogs nose looks something like:

/~~~~|

-----/ |

\_

The dog is saw was like this:

GAH...

impossible..

Ok basically when you pat your dog down the nose between the eyes, it dips down, in order to pat this dog that way you would follow the snout like an oval from the nose to over the head, there is no dip, it in fact goes the other way, I know this is a really bad description but I am pretty sure it was some form of "bully" breed?

ETA: Wow... if that's a "normal" dog I should take arty to the vet... xD yay ascii text >.<

ETA2: Duh... It was shorthaired, white, with a pinky nose, pointy ears and VERY muscley.

Edited by Talien

Yes! Gah I've been kept away from bully breeds my entire life (had a viscious one next door as a child which was pts for mauling someone), so when I see most kinds of bully breeds I physically freak out. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have the personality of teddy bears (sometimes cuter!), but I can't help my aversion. I want it to stop as I've only been bitten by a GSD (which was my own fault).

I'm terrified of bull terriers, pit bulls, GSD's to an extent though it hurts because I love them too! And greyhounds. And the only semi-even passable rational ones are the pit bull (but only that ONE pit bull, not all) and the GSD (again only that one) but they've clouded my emotions when I am around them and I don't like it :*(

ETA: Oh! I didn't know it had a name, awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by Talien

Talien, don't be too quick to judge a book by it's cover. It's easy to have preconceived notions of different breeds. I've met most of the bull breeds except the Pitty. Get to know some of them, they are sweeties. All depends on the breeder if they are responsible or irresponsible or the owner once again responsible or irresponsible, as to how they turn out, and that goes for every breed of dog.

I used to be scared of Dobermans;German Shepherds and Rottweilers;However since joining DOL i have been reading about what owners of these breeds say about thier dogs like the funny things they do ,how clever they are, how affectionate ,what activities they do together.I have also looked at heaps of pictures and researched a bit on other sites.

I have recently met a Doberman And loved him..I have now come to greatly admire these breeds along with many others,and hope to meet many more of them in the future

Why not talk to Bullterrier owners in breeds 101 about all the positives about the breed Look at lots of pictures,maybe get to see a few pups,then see if that helps..

The thing is I don't judge by their breed, every dog is great in it's own merit. I'm not a fan of small dogs, but that's a "preference" thing, what happens when I see a white bully breed is purely physical, my heart goes nuts, i get all sweaty and stand very still hoping they wont see me. Despite this I went online and found some of pit bulls that helped me "Dolly" Link is here

Totally changed my views of pitbulls, watch it, its cry worthy but beautiful :)

I'm terrified of bull terriers, pit bulls, GSD's to an extent though it hurts because I love them too! And greyhounds. And the only semi-even passable rational ones are the pit bull (but only that ONE pit bull, not all) and the GSD (again only that one) but they've clouded my emotions when I am around them and I don't like it :*(

Not having a go here but I have to admit I find it odd that someone would be scared of some really people-friendly breeds when you're more likely to get bitten by some of the "cuter" (but more reactive) breeds.

I've been fostering greyhounds for a few years now and I've never known anyone to be even nipped by one, let alone anything more serious that that. They're gentle and very tolerant dogs, even when they have good reason to bite- One of my fosters got bitten by another dog, resulting in her side being torn open from literally her shoulder to about halfway down her ribs and I was able to check the wound, strap it closed and get her in the car without so much as a grumble. Would I attempt something like that with other breeds of dog? I'd be very wary.

Same goes for the bully breeds, really. They get a lot of bad press (likely just crossbred dogs that look bully enough to label them as such) but the reputation is just misinformed and really quite unrealistic.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

I too used to fear Bull Terriers (as a child I was told that they had lock jaw and to never trust one :( ...until I met the most divine girl who completely changed my perception. Zahra was my FIL dog and she was the biggest cuddle bum, so incredibly funny, gentle with kids and all animals. She was a ball of muscle and when she leapt onto your lap for cuddles man you felt it :laugh:. So sad when she passed away :cry:. It really taught me to reserve judgment on breeds but to base it on individual dogs that I met. Now whenever I see one I have to stop myself from kissing their gorgeous noses :laugh:.

Oh dear! Please don't take it to heart, I KNOW my fears are irrational! The thing is I WANT to get over the fears because most are golden and just like Arty they just want love and cuddles and to give licks.

I would love to own a GSD, but I am partially afraid of them or at least "wary".

I want to be able to not freeze when I see them I want to be able to interact with them, and I hope I get that chance when I start puppy school or dog events.

I am not singling breeds out to say they are bad, I don't believe in "bad breeds". I believe that all dogs deserve to be loved and cherished (in 99.99999999% circumstances - by this I mean, that if the dog is excessively aggressive then I might refrain from patting it...). I'm sick of my own fear getting the better of me when I see one when I know in my head that these dogs have never done anything to me and would probably love a pat, owner permitting of course.

It's up to me to change my physical feelings about these breeds and I'm working on it but it is hard to know where to go to meet dogs of these breeds that people will be willing to let me pat/get licked.

Does it make sense? Sorry I reallllly don't want people thinking I am blaming the dogs, I am blaming myself and my upbringing for these feelings, definitely NOT the poor dogs :)

I LOVE Bullies, not sure I could live with one.

I prefer my dog to do what I ask it straight away not take a message and get back to me, or think long and hard about it, but I do love them to pieces. Nothing like a big cuddle of a solid brick of wiggly muscle. They give great kisses as well.

We had very very few down here for years, but in the last two years we have had 3 gorgeous young Bullies come to training. All so happy to say hi to everyone and no aggression to be seen.

Perhaps you could see if you are able to sit in at some puppy pre school classes and get to meet these breeds.All pups are cute and it would be easier than meeting adults first up.Anyone can be fearful of the unknown or what they have not experienced.It dosn't help when we are told bad stuff as kids about a breed;it hapened to me too.

Sorry Bully people but I used to think they were the ugliest dog ever until..............

I came home from a holiday to find one in my back yard, called the council to report it and was ready to drop her down to the pound when my then OH came home.

IT was his sisters who was going to get rid of IT so he drove 4ookms each way to pick her up and bring her home. I had been on holidays with my family and he was going to surprise me when I got home.

Well I instantly disliked her and was worried about her and my old rough collie. Well within a couple of days I was well and truly won over. She had the most divine temperament and was the LOVELIEST dog ever. I eventually even believed her quite beautiful.

I don't think you could find a more people orientated dog in the world, she simply loved everyone and later when we had children she was just THE best.

Prejudices can change, you just have to get to know dogs you "don't like".

I used to be terrified and totally leery of anything small and fluffy - had met way too many pampered SWFs with nasty temperaments. Honestly people, it's NOT funny when your little feral tries to bite everyone and everything - and it's also far from cute. If any of my dogs (smallest weighs in at 15kgs) acted like that, people would be calling for them to be pts... grrr!

Then I got involved in rescue... and have met and been smooched by literally hundreds of the nicest little dogs... and most of them were from the pound!!

I still have a really soft spot for anything bull breed and anything REALLY big...

T.

Yes! Gah I've been kept away from bully breeds my entire life (had a viscious one next door as a child which was pts for mauling someone), so when I see most kinds of bully breeds I physically freak out. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have the personality of teddy bears (sometimes cuter!), but I can't help my aversion. I want it to stop as I've only been bitten by a GSD (which was my own fault).

ETA: Oh! I didn't know it had a name, awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

I have to ask how can you be terrified of Bull Terriers, yet not know that is what the dog was??