52 Week Photo Challenge 2012

~*Shell*~

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm finding this challenge a bit difficult and we're only six weeks in :o . I wanted to do a night photo with sparklers this week but just could not get the focus right. I had my camera set on rear flash but it would still do a little flash when the timer started too. No matter what I tried, I always came out blurry, like I'd moved :( .

Here is my week six. Waiting.

6819999859_6cfb9af61d_z.jpg

Snook your selfie is awesome! I agree with fattima, you always portray really genuine emotion in your photos. And I admire anyone who goes to the gym, I'd be way too intimidated lol

5/52 - I'm terrified of dying. Not because I'd be dead, but because someone might read my journal when I'm gone :laugh:

5-52.jpg

Love it Gila!

Just beautiful Huga :). May I ask how you got everything around you so dark but the light on your face? It's quite lovely.

Yes, you may :)

It is a long exposure - one second. So camera on tripod. I also had to stick a bit of masking tape on the wall behind my head, so the camera knew where to focus. ISO 400 f/6.3 (I think), but I should have gone higher, because I am slightly OOF. I wanted the lights to glow, so knew it had to be a long exposure, but there was no where near enough light to see my face. I tried the flash (off camera), but that was too much light, so I had a torch aimed at my face (which I also needed to light the masking tape on the wall, otherwise it was too dark for the auto focus).

Does that all make sense? :laugh:

I'm finding this challenge a bit difficult and we're only six weeks in :o . I wanted to do a night photo with sparklers this week but just could not get the focus right. I had my camera set on rear flash but it would still do a little flash when the timer started too. No matter what I tried, I always came out blurry, like I'd moved :( .

Try with a different light source. On camera flash never looks great.

As you've probably noticed, I've been trying to push myself and experiment with light a lot. It's amazing what can be done.

Love it Gila!

Just beautiful Huga :). May I ask how you got everything around you so dark but the light on your face? It's quite lovely.

Yes, you may :)

It is a long exposure - one second. So camera on tripod. I also had to stick a bit of masking tape on the wall behind my head, so the camera knew where to focus. ISO 400 f/6.3 (I think), but I should have gone higher, because I am slightly OOF. I wanted the lights to glow, so knew it had to be a long exposure, but there was no where near enough light to see my face. I tried the flash (off camera), but that was too much light, so I had a torch aimed at my face (which I also needed to light the masking tape on the wall, otherwise it was too dark for the auto focus).

Does that all make sense? :laugh:

Try with a different light source. On camera flash never looks great.

As you've probably noticed, I've been trying to push myself and experiment with light a lot. It's amazing what can be done.

Thanks Huga, that does make sense. Did you then have to edit out the masking tape? And did you have someone holding the torch, or do you have some sort of stand for it? I'm struggling a little as my OH is not particularly interested in being an assistant so I need to work out ways to do it myself. Trying to get the pic framed, the sparklers lit (in the wind) and the photo taken was a little frustrating :laugh: . Damn sparklers! My camera will only stay on the remote setting for a fairly short period, so I'd finally get the sparkler lit then find that the remote had turned off :laugh: . Bugger.

So, using the sparkler shot as an example and using an outside light source (I've got a nice, not too bright, spotlight I can use). Would you first light the subject for a few seconds, then turn the light off, then wave the sparklers around?

Thanks Huga, that does make sense. Did you then have to edit out the masking tape? And did you have someone holding the torch, or do you have some sort of stand for it? I'm struggling a little as my OH is not particularly interested in being an assistant so I need to work out ways to do it myself. Trying to get the pic framed, the sparklers lit (in the wind) and the photo taken was a little frustrating :laugh: . Damn sparklers! My camera will only stay on the remote setting for a fairly short period, so I'd finally get the sparkler lit then find that the remote had turned off :laugh: . Bugger.

So, using the sparkler shot as an example and using an outside light source (I've got a nice, not too bright, spotlight I can use). Would you first light the subject for a few seconds, then turn the light off, then wave the sparklers around?

I initially had it stacked up on a pile of books, but it still wasn't high enough, so I asked my OH to hold it. It literally took a second, because I only took the one. My head is in front of the masking tape, so I didn't need to edit it out :)

In your case, I would try leaving the spotlight on, turn your face towards it and then wave the sparklers around. You will get motion blur in your face though if you do a long exposure.

Oooooo nice gapvic, love the eyes!

A crappy shot from me for week 4, but a rare one of them all together :laugh: I've just finished working 12 days straight on a big office move, so haven't have time for my camera recently, hopefully that will change as things ease up a bit a work now :)

Week 4 - The Gang

6821535937_e474f5d652_z.jpg

Week 5 - Louis :heart:

6821536125_9ef91667f1_z.jpg

Well I still haven't had a chance to go through all of the photos having a puppy seems to take up all of your time so here are the two catch up photos. I hope next weekend I will get a chance to catch up on everyones photos.

Easy's Crazy ears

Easydolcrazyears.jpg

and week 5 Easy's brother Jett having a sleep

Jettdolphoto.jpg

not technically in focus etc..just a quick snap of a moment: This is Luci who on the first day of school missed the kids terribly. My son (who always wanted a cat and not a dog) sat down to do homework at the end of the first school day and Lucimade her feelings known

"Missed You!!!!!!"

p_dol75of1.jpg

A catchup from the last week and a bit or maybe more ... almost up to date :-)

Snook

I love the way you and Justice are looking at each other in the week 3 pic

The portrait with the gerbera(?) is really pretty ... hmm perhaps I could ease into the whole self portrait thing by making myself blurry beyond recognition....

The gym pic is great .. thanks for posting the info about your backgrounds .. I think I need to start putting a bit more work in :-)

Gapvic

Love the family shot.

2 pics for week 4! .. The colours are lovely, the stubble, the hay, your hair (!) - great contrast between spiky hay and silky hair.

The sock monkey pic is great .. so different to the previous pics and again the light is really nice.

The shot of you by the window is lovely, I particularly like the contrast between the richness of the dress and the fairly austere setting.

MnDM

The coatis, awww so cute - I had to go look them up too.

Lovely beach shot with the whippet.

Huga

Theres a bunch of mischief in that little face - hope school is going well for him.

Love the monsters pic - all your pics are so creative. Very pensive mood in 'it must be love'.

CrazyCresties

The black background really shows that Mantis off well, great capture.

Kym and Adrian

Sweet puppy!

redangel

Fabulous pics of the Roulettes! I too have a flightpath overhead ... but I'd be a bit worried if QF1 got that close to one of it's stablemates..

Butternut

The graves were behind St Michael the Archangels Chapel at Rookwood, they were for the Reverends.

Ahh the army of god .. thanks for the info.

Cool piggy!

lovemesideways

spooky! not sure two dogs would be enough to protect me from all that darkness though....

going by your next pic I see at least one of them is perhaps more of a thinker than action dog

Millie-Moo

Can't really complain about seeing more of Jack - he's a very photogenic boy! Sweet pic of Aggie.

KumaAkita

ok how come everyone else gets the window seat and not meeeeee... or do you do what I do and check the view from the loo??

The reflection of the pot in week 5 really adds something to the image.

MTD

Pidey! Love those guys - as long as they don't hang around in the bedroom at night... how close were you?That ginger flower is gorgeous - I've only recently discovered these plants and now I want a hothouse!

DogSportObsessed

The close up (wk 2) is really pretty. I do think your pup in the week 3 pic is wondering why you're doing dumb things with your hands when THERE'S A BALL TO PLAY WITH though...

anniek

Cody and Gemma are really sweet.. nice backlight.

Flaves

German water dog!

pixie-meg

Lovely portrait (the swimming one)... it really conveys a holiday feel. Your little girl must be a chook whisperer, I don't remember chickens being cuddly when I was a kid.

fattima

Vrooom. I do love a good grill.

The little min pin is really showing how much he enjoys life.

dogfan

sunflower in the sun! I really like the way the light gives a feeling of heat and glare.

MrRedDog

Wow ...I feel like I'm going to get sucked into my computer screen ....

Cute pups, that looks like a fun day.

gila

Two really different self portraits (hair & diary).. they're great.

Misteri

Pretty fireworks shot .. love those big starbursts.

Evolving

Alera is gorgeous .. I love those markings .. and the sleeping puppy is really sweet.

Someone asked what kind of plant my shot from last week was .. unfortunately I'm really bad at taking note of these things ... best I can do is some sort of palm .. I think.. It was in the tropical centre at the Sydney Botanic Garden.

Week 5 - Cautious.

6826640831_3aafcb8da4_z.jpg

52 Weeks Set, on Flickr.

I was fairly happy with this shot considering it was taken from a few metres away with a zoom lens, hand held - these guys just won't hang around while you set up a tripod.

I'm back home now for the foreseeable future, so let's see if I can do this in 2012 LOL Here's mine up to now:

1/52 - Drove to the Keys while in Miami & had a burger. It wasn't great.

JAN12_340kja.jpg

2/52 - full moon setting over Big Spirit Lake at my Dad's house

JAN12_341kja.jpg

3/52 - My sister, Cat, lovin' on her new baby, Beau

JAN12_301kja.jpg

4/52 - back in Exmouth & out diving before TC Iggy hits. self portrait with new GoPro Hero2

JAN12_304kja.jpg

5/52 - Tilly snuggling in her towel during TC Iggy

JAN12_327.jpg

I promise I haven't forgotten about last week! I've been too lazy :o

Eta... week 5 :)

5/52 - Orange/Red/Yellow (warm colours)

bloodsplatters.jpg

ETA2

Or here's one that I REALLY liked :)

creepys.jpg

A selfie, too! Gotta love PicNik :)

Redangel: Looooove the planes!

MTD: Super cute froggy! :D

Huga: Love the week 5 and week 6 is gorgeous!

Millie-Moo: Jack is super cute! Nice pic :)

Gapvic: Aww love those photos!

MrRedDog: :D Love them :)

Gila: LOVE your hair! Mine was like that a week ago :o

Misteri: Awesome fireworks! :thumbsup:

Dwynwen: Ooh, great pic! What is it? (w5 pic)

Monet: LOVE it!

Pixie meg: What gorgeous photos :)

Evolving: :welcome: Love the lappie pup!

Annie: :love: gorgeous!

KA: Nice pic :)

Snook: OOH that looks AWESOME! I love your eyes! :D And yes we do grow sunflowers at home :)

Fattima: :love: gorgeous

MTD: Love the flower!

CC: Love the gang! Poor kitty looks like she's/he's getting tortured, being next to those dogs :laugh:

Kym: Is that a newfie? :love: Gorgeous pic!

Kja: Mm! :eat: Great pics!!

Edited by dogfan