Rottweiler Experts And Fans, Please Help

Agius

Hello guys as you can all tell im new here and this is actually my first post i had a little sniff around a few threads and i gotta say you all have such beautiful dogs and know your stuff real well :) any who, my best friends name is Zeus his a 7 and half month old rottweiler Zeus and i have only known each other for 5 and a half months but they way we get along it feels like his been in my life a whole lot longer, we do heaps of stuff together! a few nights ago i was looking at a few photos and vids of other peoples rottweilers and i couldnt help to notice they look quite different from Zeus so i started to question my self is zeus actually pure? ive got a feeling he has a bit of Labrador in his blood.. some where along the line ive attached a few photos tell me what you guys think? oh and its just out of curiosity, with the bond him and i share together i couldn't care if he was only half rott ;) thanks in advance guys! 6jg4k6.jpg2qthe2q.jpg11j7yfo.jpg63vtk9.jpg33c7mnn.jpg

His markings are def Rottie like, as others have said he his head looks finer then alot of rotties although that could be due to his bloodlines, different bloodlines or types in a breed can produce dogs of the same breed who look very different. I am not an expert on Rotties, just an admirer of the breed so not sure if bloodlines can make a huge difference in this breed.

Don't be bothered if ppl beat you up if you didn't get him from a reg breeder, as long as you love him for who he is, his looks are not the be all and end all anyway :)

Edited by german_shep_fan

He looks pure to me but doesn't look as tho he'll be a "big boy"/thick set. He's ears do look a little big but it might just be part of his growth. A lot of Rotti's aren't the most attractive dogs when they are going thru their growing/late puppy years :grimace: My boy Odin (sadly missed :cry: ) was just plain ugly some months but by the time he was 18-24 months old he was just stunning!!! :heart: Some days it honestly looked like his back legs were long than his front and visaversa, his ears were really floppy and big and then a week later perfect etc etc... but personality was just beautiful the whole way thru!! He was my big teddy bear and even at 55+kg he would still try and curl up in my lap to sleep :rofl:

So ur boy may very well be pure but just going thru the "fuglies" at the moment...enjoy :)

He probably is a purebred but without the papers you won't know for sure.

I would have liked to see more strength and bone at this age especially for a male, he still has a long way to go to mature so hopefully he will fill out lots more.

If possible I would suggest keeping him entire for at least 12-18 months or better still 2 yrs to allow for maturity. However if he becomes a bit challenging then you may need to do it sooner.

He is what he is so just enjoy the journey, they are fantastic dogs.

I would say his parents are most likely both Rottweilers, although without knowing where he came from or having any papers you will never know for sure. Agree with other posters, he will be a finer type of dog, he has very dark markings on his face and legs where there should be more tan, but that can happen in the breed too. At this age they are also at their gangliest :)

For my eyes, I can't see any labrador influence in there, for what it's worth.

Hope this helps and you enjoy Zeus, sounds like you are hooked on the breed, quite understandable!

He looks pure to me but doesn't look as tho he'll be a "big boy"/thick set. He's ears do look a little big but it might just be part of his growth. A lot of Rotti's aren't the most attractive dogs when they are going thru their growing/late puppy years :grimace: My boy Odin (sadly missed :cry: ) was just plain ugly some months but by the time he was 18-24 months old he was just stunning!!! :heart: Some days it honestly looked like his back legs were long than his front and visaversa, his ears were really floppy and big and then a week later perfect etc etc... but personality was just beautiful the whole way thru!! He was my big teddy bear and even at 55+kg he would still try and curl up in my lap to sleep :rofl:

So ur boy may very well be pure but just going thru the "fuglies" at the moment...enjoy :)

Oh god yes - one of mine went though the most awful stage that seemed to last forever, she came through it a very nice girl.

For a breed that only comes in Black and Tan - they sure do vary heaps.

Looks very Rotti to me... just not from stocky "lines"... as others have said, he may also just be going through a lanky stage.

The eyes have it for me... you can see the intelligence there... and the fact that he loves the person taking the photos very much... *grin*

He is only a baby still at 7 months - give him time and he will probably fill out a heck of a lot more over the next 2 years.

T.

He looks Rottie to me maybe going through the "uglies" is he BYB or papered ?

also he looks like the very old type if you can google the breed

for pics you will find many different styles that have been bred over generations .

but all that matters is that he is your Rottie !! ;)

Enjoy many happy years with Zeus.

unfortunately at the time i didnt know as much as i do now, he didnt come with any papers or anything like that,

i did meet his parents his old man was massive, but his mum from what i can remember had darker markings she must of had the mixed bloodline.. he must of taken more from his mums side then dads,

zeus and i are hooked to each other :)

thanks so much for all your help guys you where all a great help and zeus appricates all your compliments toward him

this was a week or so after i got him when we started to get to know eachother

29xx01c.jpg

He is gorgeous. I owned a female Rotti who was absolutely identical to your boy in every way. She was papered with Champion Bloodlines, and he looks pure to me and I can't see any other breed in his makeup either.

I have known several Rotti males look on the finer side, like your boy, but they filled out beautifully once they got past the teenage years. Only time will tell.

He is really handsome ;)

Lynn