Registered Ethical Breeders And Signage

shmoo

As a delivery driver I see a lot of signs when working. One type in particular I see a lot of is "XX pups for sale". Many of these are cross breeds so wouldn't be registered pups (le sigh), but the ones that are stating "Pure Breed" I wonder if they are registered, ethical breeders who are simply advertising outside their residence?

On another note, I would personally be worried about putting up a sign... it's just asking for the pups to be stolen. Especially in some areas with certain breeds. :(

Edited by shmoo

Nup not a chance.

I doubt you would ever see a registered breeder put up a sign for pups for sale. It's not passing traffic that you want to attract but prospective buyers who have put thought into their proposed new family member.

Also couldn't bear people "dropping In" just to see the puppies.

In this day and age I don't see many kennels signs. They used to be very common 20+ years ago, prior to the advent of the internet. Now days I think most people have a web presence and don't have street signage.

I must admit it isn't something I would recommend to people, like others I feel that it encourage theft.

Frequently the name of a rural property is also a kennel name.

One nearby DOLer has a sign on her property stating her kennel name and the abbreviated breed name which is actually shared by a breed of feathered beasties. She has said that she gets drop-ins sometimes to see if she has any chicks available!! :laugh:

Nope, although I do have a card in my car with the kennel name and breeds and this can be seen by people walking past.

I see signs for breeding kennels and pups going out to the country and they are 99% labrador breeders, occasionally there will be other signs for BC, cocker, or jack russels

Even without signage, security can be a problem for registered breeders with p/b dogs. Recent case in the UK, 6 p/b tibbies stolen from property of registered breeders.

Police got huge support from local community & elsewhere. Turned out the 6 had been nicked by Travellers (gypsies) from a nearby camp. Police commented the theft was probably to take the dogs to Ireland which is notorious for puppy farms. They said chihuahuas had often been targeted.

Since this article published, only 1 tib, Alice, still missing. Pic of the property included:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080556/Online-pet-detective-solve-case-stolen-spaniels-retrieve-dogs-outside-travellers-camp.html

Edited by mita

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an update on Alice, the last of the UK tibbies stolen from her breeders' property. She's been found, thanks to the enormous efforts of social networking where thousands of people joined the hunt & passed posters around to places like vets.

Alice had been sold by the thief to a lass looking for a pet dog for her mother. They took her to a vet clinic because she had a minor injury. The vet nurse had heard the publicity. She checked for a microchip. And it proved to be Alice. She is presently on her way home.

No wonder breeders have to take into account security on their properties. And bless microchipping!

Yes, the vet nurse & the 2,382 people who spread posters are heroes!

Also the UK police were outstanding in how seriously they took the theft. They even allocated one officer as contact person. And added this to the Stolen posters:

Anyone who thinks they may have spotted Alice is urged to contact Pc Gary Dixon, of Thames Valley Police, on the non emergency telephone number, 101, or alternatively, their local police force.

God forbid that a similar theft should happen here. But this case proves what can happen when there's co-operation.