What Hots And What's Not

Leema

I've been thinking about what 'makes' or 'breaks' phone or email enquiries for dogs I rescue or breed. I was wondering how similar or different our hots and nots are...

HOT:

* Person enquiring has owned breed before or demonstrates knowledge of the breed.

* Person uses phrases like 'member of the family', 'inside dog', or 'like my children'.

* Person talks about extensive medical treatment for their past dog/cat/animal.

* Person comes and visits my dogs when I don't have puppies available.

* Person shows that they have done research on me by mentioning my website, or the dogs I have listed on my website.

* Person has partaken in dog sports - like agility, obedience, earthdog, conformation, or any other event (or even informal event).

* Person has a degree of excitement in their voice - they clearly are enthused about a new dog!

NOT:

* Person goes straight to asking about puppies.

* Person goes straight to asking about price, or otherwise treating it as a business transaction.

* Person talks about breeding and is not interested in conformation or sports.

What are yours?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I remebered another one....an enquiry about kittens, and I said I would love it if the whole family could come and look at the litter...."what for? It's just a cat!"......FAIL.

NOT:

* Person goes straight to asking about price, or otherwise treating it as a business transaction.

What are yours?

I really dont see an issue with asking for price.

Not everyone can afford a lot of money and why stuff everyone around and jump through hoops if you know you cant afford the price?

I have always asked price up front, and gotten each of my pets i have asked about... Never had a breeder turn me away for asking. I need to know so i know if i can afford the pet or not...

I dont sell animals, but i work in a pet supply shop. So many people come in and talk about their pet using the word "it" i will cut them off and ask if it is male or female and what is "It's" name? dont get people who get a pet and dont give a shit about it

I don't mind people asking price providing it's within a decent enquiry and not " have you got pups and how much". Having said that if I get a decent enquiry that hasn't enquired about price I send out an email covering everything including price. I don't want to waste my time on someone that's only going to turn around at the end and say oh I can't afford that much, it's just easier if every one knows price from the start.

NOT:

What are yours?

I really dont see an issue with asking for price.

Me either, but it's when their first question is price that I get concerned. That being said, I reply anyway (if it's an email) - mostly I don't hear back.

I'll politely answer any enquiries I get on my 'not' list, but they would have to work hard (i.e. do a lot of hots!) to get me to start to consider them as a puppy buyer.

I dont mind many except these days I dodge anyone who is or has been a registered breeder.

I also get a bit niggly about - "have you managed to move your puppies out? If not and you are prepared to drop the price I will take them off your hands" :eek:

I dont mind many except these days I dodge anyone who is or has been a registered breeder.

I also get a bit niggly about - "have you managed to move your puppies out? If not and you are prepared to drop the price I will take them off your hands" :eek:

Why would you dodge someone who is or has been a registered breeder?

My BIGGEST not is someone who wants the pup at a certain time as a surprise gift (birthday, Xmas, etc) for someone else.

I don't mind any of the NOTS listed, though I generally list puppy prices to save people from asking about a pup they can't afford.

I sort of like the tweet-style emails (Do U have any pups? How much?) . . . generally keep a brief text around saying when pups are expected, describing the sire and dam, giving the price, and telling people that if they would like to be put down for a pup, I'd like the following info . . . etc.