Wow! Haven't Prices Change In 10 Years!

Roova

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dogs mostly pb cast offs... were all rehomed free to us....well the small ones.

the owners saw the sucker tattoed on my forehead.

the 2x dallys one was bought out of the paper and i don't doubt if i had not bought him he would have ended up in the pound...

the other was rehomed via the general section of dol... she was not your ordinary rescue... but now she is not your ordinary dog either.

should i have bought a pup.... i could have but i have had many puppies over the years.... and just did not want to be in that boat again.... if i could not have found a retread... i was making puppy enquiries as well.

both the dallies although neither have papers with them now.... they were pb not part bred...i thought it better to take on a dog with problems as i can cope, and it would give a dog who had failed in his relationship another chance.

although dallies area relatively cheap breed.

Benny was $1200 limited register.. Not sure how much pb Pomeranians used to be but I expect that $1000-$2000 anyway.

I can appreciate how time consuming and expensive breeding is and I think this price is reasonable.. I would much rather quality, over a cheap byb dog that would cost me more in the long run due to massive health issues! :(

I paid $1500 for Acheron only 2 years ago and would pay it again happily.

My first dobe cost me $200. It was the best $200 I've ever spent in my life, he was the most amazing dog.

As a kid we always had Dobes and I'm sure that back then my dad would not have paid more than a few hundred dollars for a pup.

2002 I paid for a German Shepherd $750.00 ,

in 2010 I bought from the same breeder and paid $1200

2004 I paid for a German Shepherd $800.00

all main registered 2 oldies are champions young one not far off and very sparodically shown,

I would never buy a dog on a limited register either.

In 2003 I paid $800 for a GSD pup, she died recently of a cancer common in GSD's. Now GSD pups cost up to $1500 double the price, yet still have the same serious health problems they did then. It seems nothing has changed, only the price. :mad :mad :mad

I believe they are researching a vacc for this said cancer in the GSD now. Who knows if they will ever actually find a cure, i sure as hell hope they do. But vet told me it is so common in the GSD that 1 out of 2 dogs will die from it :cry:

My 1st border collie was $200 from a friend reg breeder, I think he was selling the others in the litter for $300 or $400 can't remember now. My current bc was $850 in 2008 now I believe they are $1000 - $1200. Didn't realise at the time that my 1st bc was on MR until I got the papers for present LR bc.

In 2003 I paid $800 for a GSD pup, she died recently of a cancer common in GSD's. Now GSD pups cost up to $1500 double the price, yet still have the same serious health problems they did then. It seems nothing has changed, only the price. :mad :mad :mad

I believe they are researching a vacc for this said cancer in the GSD now. Who knows if they will ever actually find a cure, i sure as hell hope they do. But vet told me it is so common in the GSD that 1 out of 2 dogs will die from it :cry:

When my girl died, my vet said in 9 mths 6 GSD's died of the same common cancer the youngest only 5 yrs old and it could take 20 yrs to find the gene responsible. :cry: Does the breeder tell you that for your $1500 your dog might not live past 5 yrs of age because of Hemangiosarcoma, hell no.

Breeders say they health test all their stock, but how do you test for this cancer as there are no tests. Hell there are no symptoms until it's too late. :cry:

In 2004 I paid very little money for a Rottie I got from a shelter, we still have her and she is healthy :crossfingers: she out lived my beautiful GSD as this cancer doesn't occur in Rotties - thank God.

If they can't fund a purchase then they can't pay ongoing costs which have also escalated

Im not sure I agree with that statement.

French Bulldogs for example, are worth around $3000 which is pretty expensive for most people. Especially if you have a mortage, children and well, a life. Just because that's an out of reach price for some, it doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have the money to take care of them properly.

I worry that wellbred purebred dogs are going to become out of reach of the average person leaving bybers as the only option if someone is desperate for a certain breed. Ten years is not a great deal of time for some of the prices to have risen like they have. The average pay packet wouldn't have increased by 400%, yet the majority of dog prices have. I wonder how high they can go before some breeds become only for the elite :confused:

The health testing now required is already pushing the costs of breeding through the roof, everything associated with Breeding has increased cost wise. Some Breeders have been forced out because of it, naturally it is going to make the cost of a puppy more expensive, but some breeds have always been at the top end of the market and out of reach of a lot of families that hasn't changed.

I have observed that stud prices seem to drive up the prices of puppies. I've only been around for the last 4 years - but I have noticed a huge increase in stud fees during this time, and the puppy prices in my breed have increased with them. It seems that the stud fee rises first, then the puppy prices follow. I am not sure if this is a direct correlation (increases in vet fees etc not withstanding) but it is just something I have noticed.

When my girl died, my vet said in 9 mths 6 GSD's died of the same common cancer the youngest only 5 yrs old and it could take 20 yrs to find the gene responsible. :cry: Does the breeder tell you that for your $1500 your dog might not live past 5 yrs of age because of Hemangiosarcoma, hell no.

Breeders say they health test all their stock, but how do you test for this cancer as there are no tests. Hell there are no symptoms until it's too late. :cry:

In 2004 I paid very little money for a Rottie I got from a shelter, we still have her and she is healthy :crossfingers: she out lived my beautiful GSD as this cancer doesn't occur in Rotties - thank God.

Again im so very sorry abt your girl. As you know, i know the pain of losing these precious babies to Hemangisarcoma all too well. My girl i lost last yr was almost 13, but still too young for me :(

I understand what you are saying, you can health test till the cows come home but until you know what you are looking for it won't make much differnce anyway. In over 30yrs of GSD ownership we have never had hip/elbow probs, even at 12yrs old chiro said my old girl was still built like an ox :D It was the bloody cancer that got her :cry:

I bought my first Border Collie 24 yrs ago for $180. I bred my first litter with a couple of chocolates a few years later and couldn't sell them. I was selling the black and whites for $250 and the chocolates for $120 if I was lucky. Lots of health tests later and latest trends has seen a healthy price rise for the Border Collie.

post-13998-0-92344800-1327246890_thumb.jpg

I find it interesting that when prices rise, everyone seems to increase their price even if they aren't health testing.

Because Border Collies sprang to mind with the last post I checked the puppy listings. There are 48 puppy listings which is pretty big! I know the ad's don't always state every bit of infortmation but I counted

23 which mention testing for TNS, CL and CEA.

2 mention the parents are health tested but don't specifically say they're clear

2 mention the parents having good hip and elbow scores as well as testing for TNS, CL and CEA.

So that leaves possibly more than half the breeders not health testing for TNS, CL and CEA which is disappointing if they're all basically charging the same for puppies. Three ads mention $1000 so I presume they're all much the same. Its especially disappointing as this is what byb's are frowned on for not doing!

I find it interesting that when prices rise, everyone seems to increase their price even if they aren't health testing.

Because Border Collies sprang to mind with the last post I checked the puppy listings. There are 48 puppy listings which is pretty big! I know the ad's don't always state every bit of infortmation but I counted

23 which mention testing for TNS, CL and CEA.

2 mention the parents are health tested but don't specifically say they're clear

2 mention the parents having good hip and elbow scores as well as testing for TNS, CL and CEA.

So that leaves possibly more than half the breeders not health testing for TNS, CL and CEA which is disappointing if they're all basically charging the same for puppies. Three ads mention $1000 so I presume they're all much the same. Its especially disappointing as this is what byb's are frowned on for not doing!

Unless you actually contacted all the Breeders and asked you cannot presume they don't test.

They may not feel the need to mention it because it is simply part & parcel of what they do.

I already have presumed they don't health test because they haven't mentioned it and others have.

It's such a great thing to health test, why do it then advertise the puppies and not mention it? Surely they're doing their buiness a disservice especially when up against 48 other puppy ads!

You're obviously a lot less cynical then me! :D

Always remember SOME of our breeds have NO healths available.

I have a breed that the only tests available are eye tests and a clear certificate is only available when the dog is 7 years of age.

Yes the prices have gone up and so has everything else. I am sure with testings available for some breeds and breeders taking advantage of this to improve the breed I am sure all purchasers will end up with a healthier puppy in the long run. :)

I have found most puppy buyers are looking for test results from the parents. If you don't test for CL,CEA and TNS and hip and elbow score you usually will have a hard time selling your pups. Maybe that is why there is 48 ads for pups on here. Unfortunately not all are conscientious breeders.