What Fruit And Veges Do Your Dogs Like

pirate

I've only ever had one that would willingly eat fruit, she likes blueberries and avocado (before anyone mentions it, yes I know avo is on a lot of lists of foods dogs shouldn't eat). She has also been known to eat strawberries.

But none of my others will eat fruit or veg unless it's so mashed into their food they can't avoid it. I have fruit trees and berry plants in the yard so they could browse most fo the year if they wanted to, but they don't seem to want to.

The only exception to the 'blah vegies' response has been cold carrots to chew on during teething, they grow out of it but for a while they all like those.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder about the prey diet some people put their dogs on, is it meat only because this thread proves dogs eat alot more than just meat.

I think the thought of dogs just eating meat is very primal....dogs have access to every food under the sun now... back in the day im not so sure they had ready access to carrots and pears :) meat would be the only thing running around.... I think this thread confirms that dogs like fruits and veggies a lot more then we do!!

Dr.Ian Billinghurst, who wrote "Give Your Dog A Bone", says that wild dogs would consume the stomach contents of their kills, thus getting vegetables.

i swear both my dogs are in the top 2 percentile --- neither will take a worming chew like a firken treat and nor do they catch one in their mouth in just the slightest hope!

bella happily chows down on a piece of carrot; byron will happily consume grated carrot. both will eat pulped and or cooked veg but only if i've mixed it with meat...

both are tongue flickers as demonstrated when i offer them each a piece of banana...

i wonder whether i over feed my dogs and so therefore they have no hankerings thinkb2wq.gif

Does popcorn count as a vegetable?!!! Mita introduced us to sweet potato and both our tibbies eat it. I'm not sure they love it but it has done wonders for our tibbie's skin allergies and stomach ailments. I also feed brocoli, carrot and peas which they tolerate but I don't think we have dogs that love veggies and fruit ( a bit like our kids!).

i take on board your comments concerning sweet pototo - both my dogs eat it but atm, i mix it with white potato and so i may now consider using only sweet potato :)

I often wonder about the prey diet some people put their dogs on, is it meat only because this thread proves dogs eat alot more than just meat.

if so, that may be why some dogs will eat fruit and veg, even to the point of hunting for it in our veg gardens!

i just wanted to say that i absolutely ADORE whippets and that i absolutely LOVED your photos :) thank you for sharing...

I think the thought of dogs just eating meat is very primal....dogs have access to every food under the sun now... back in the day im not so sure they had ready access to carrots and pears :) meat would be the only thing running around.... I think this thread confirms that dogs like fruits and veggies a lot more then we do!!

Dr.Ian Billinghurst, who wrote "Give Your Dog A Bone", says that wild dogs would consume the stomach contents of their kills, thus getting vegetables.

you took the words right out of my mouth :)

My dogs and cat are on a prey diet, and yes it is meat only. I originally put them on VAN, barf etc but they plain and simple do not like veggies or fruits. So it makes things easier for me and for them. I have offered them fruits and veggies several times and they either spit them out or reject them outright. This thread says that many dogs like fruits and veg but it certainly does not prove anything.

It is primal as it's supposed to be :) Not sure how back in the day you're referring to but I'm pretty sure fruit trees existed then too.

As does Dr Bruce Syme of VAN. Yet there are also many wolf and canine experts that state that dogs/wolves leave the vegetation in their stomach and intestines alone. To each his own, but I would be inclined to believe the latter.

I don't think vegs and fruits are bad, in fact I think they are harmless snacks. I just don't think it's necessary to judge what people choose to feed their dogs. Even if there was free access to vegs and fruits and wild dogs ate them, they wouldn't properly digest the nutrients either as they are not blended or ground to a pulp.

Celery is the only veg that all of mine will consistently refuse.

I don't think I've had any iceberg lettuce in the house to offer them in last decade but they love most other varietes; not too fond of endive but will eat it to stop the others getting it :laugh: ! They have spinach and garden veg (pulped in the food processor) daily in their meat patties.

Some will refuse citrus, others like it. They all love apples and pears and bananas and stonefruit. I have to patrol for windfall plums where they are not fenced off, fortunately the apricots and nectarines are not in any of their yards.

Every now and again the blackberries get away from me, and when they are ripe, the dogs fight the wildlife for them but it does make for multicolored poo when they gorge :vomit:

I forgot to add that Mac likes the tomatoes that have gone rotten but are still hanging on the vine like small water-filled balloons. He delicately picks one off, holds it in his mouth and bites down gently to release the stinkin' pulp. He closes his eyes with bliss as he does this.

As does Dr Bruce Syme of VAN. Yet there are also many wolf and canine experts that state that dogs/wolves leave the vegetation in their stomach and intestines alone. To each his own, but I would be inclined to believe the latter.

I had a bitch who was an inveterate rabbit hunter & I can assure you that she ate the WHOLE rabbit, stomach contents & all

I dont think you can compare the modern day fruit and vegetables, I some how don't think wolfs and canine would be getting banana, pear and tomato from their kills stomach.... basic root vegetables in some form yea maybe, but i find it a little hard to believe they would get, to any degree the variety of diet dogs get today.... I think the majority of their diet would have consisted of a carnivorous nature and if they were lucky there was an un digested root vegetable in the kills stomach....I also think they would be inclined to eat the stomach content because it is covered in blood and flesh remains...not because there is remains of a vegetable.

Edited by GussysMum

I had a bitch who was an inveterate rabbit hunter & I can assure you that she ate the WHOLE rabbit, stomach contents & all

My dogs (and cat) eat whole prey too, with my cat eating up to 70% whole prey these days. Usually the smaller prey animals will be eaten whole, like the mice, quail, chicks and rats my kitten gets. My dogs leave the stomach and intestines of whole prey for me to clear up. Sometimes they eat them, but they don't usually do. Rabbits will usually be eaten whole by wolves, unlike larger prey like cows and sheep.

I dont think you can compare the modern day fruit and vegetables, I some how don't think wolfs and canine would be getting banana, pear and tomato from their kills stomach.... basic root vegetables in some form yea maybe, but i find it a little hard to believe they would get, to any degree the variety of diet dogs get today.... I think the majority of their diet would have consisted of a carnivorous nature and if they were lucky there was an un digested root vegetable in the kills stomach....I also think they would be inclined to eat the stomach content because it is covered in blood and flesh remains...not because there is remains of a vegetable.

I agree that wolves and dogs in the past wouldn't have gotten such a variety of diet. That's precisely what the prey model is trying to replicate. Dogs are opportunistic hunters, so they will eat poop, someone else's garbage and gorge on grass until they vomit. Doesn't mean that they need poop in their diet do they. Perhaps try finding videos of wolves where they show them shaking out the vegetation before consuming the stomach. There are plenty.

foxes eat fruit when they get the chance.

Because we all know dogs are foxes now. That's a new one.

My dogs (and cat) eat whole prey too, with my cat eating up to 70% whole prey these days. Usually the smaller prey animals will be eaten whole, like the mice, quail, chicks and rats my kitten gets. My dogs leave the stomach and intestines of whole prey for me to clear up. Sometimes they eat them, but they don't usually do. Rabbits will usually be eaten whole by wolves, unlike larger prey like cows and sheep.

I agree that wolves and dogs in the past wouldn't have gotten such a variety of diet. That's precisely what the prey model is trying to replicate. Dogs are opportunistic hunters, so they will eat poop, someone else's garbage and gorge on grass until they vomit. Doesn't mean that they need poop in their diet do they. Perhaps try finding videos of wolves where they show them shaking out the vegetation before consuming the stomach. There are plenty.

foxes eat fruit when they get the chance.

I Googled this...may be untrue as it is from Answers/Wikianswers http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_dogs_related_to_foxes

and this link gives more info--> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080324161252AAkZ0OD

Edited by Boronia

I Googled this...may be untrue as it is from Answers/Wikianswers http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_dogs_related_to_foxes

and this link gives more info--> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080324161252AAkZ0OD

"But what people need to understand is that while on the outside dogs and cats have been domesticated into cuddly pets, inside a dog is 99 per cent related to the wolf, while a pet cat's digestive system is no different from a wild lion's." - Dr Roger Meacock.

Dogs have the same teeth structure, digestive tracts and 99% similar DNA as wolves which are carnivores. They are merely domesticated wolves. Studies find that the one closest to the Canis familiaris (dog) is the Canis lupus, or the gray wolf. They have nothing to do with foxes. Foxes and dogs belong to the same family Canidae, but are a whole different species with different physiology and anatomy, and also different set of teeth.

From the link you provided, it also says "Its next closest relatives are other foxes in different genera, such as the Arctic fox (Alopex lagopus) and Azara's fox (Dusicyon gymnocercus). It is more distantly related to other canids such as the grey wolf (Canis lupus) and African hunting dog (Lycaon pictus)." Dogs are wolves not foxes.

certainly new to me I did not suggest they are dogs, but they're in the same family as wolves, coyotes and jackals.

the point I was trying to make is that I believe that dogs and foxes although primarily carnivorous, are opportunistic feeders, if they come across ripe blackberries they might eat them, if they come across windfall fruit, they might eat it and in the case of my own dogs they eat lots of leafy green plants they find on their daily walks.

Edited by Kirislin

if i find something my spots won't eat i guess i can post it.... might take a while.....

they chew first and ask questions later.

but then leo can catch a worm tablet and swallow it whole without a care in the world...

sophie would not only eat other poopies but her own while still warm...