Kleptomaniac Dogs!

Nic.B

Yesterday I found two pieces of broccoli, an empty bag of treats, an apple, a roll of toilet paper (shredded) and an avocardo in Ferns crate.

Last night I watched her move all her toys out of her crate and onto the big communal bed in the family room. My husband said “Fern’s moving out” :laugh:

Does anyone else have a kleptomaniac dog? And what do they like to pinch!

ETA to make sense :o

Edited by Nic.B

Only one of my four 'steal' (apart from things like bones), and that one is Reggie. He will steal pretty much much anything not nailed down.... sigh.

In his stashes Ive found: wrappers, socks, my sister's prized stuffed animals, paper,coathangers, a jar of honey,pegs, tv remotes, shoes (no pairs ever though, he always has to have a collection!) a calculator, books, cutlery, fruit...... thats all I can think of now lol. Luckily he never (ok, RARELY) shreds/eats/destroys!

Lol re the cat poo (I forgot that one!) Fern also loves barbie dolls and is always scoping out the kids room. She then comes casually sliding back through the house with something in her mouth.

Fern is the only one who steals, our other three are fine. She is a big girl though and can reach everything.

She has taken the remotes, my husband’s caps are a favourite, loaves of bread from the bread basket, a leg of lamb recently. She takes books, magazines, clothes, hairbrushes, plants you name it.

I do think she likes to nest for some reason, her collections are always increasing!

Tilly loves socks and teatowels, I bought some new tea towels and was putting them in the washing machine and she was positively drooling as she tried to grab them :laugh:

I looked in Latte's crate the other day and she had about 10 plastic bottles in there :laugh:

:laugh: re the tea towels, thats too cute.

Another of Ferns favourites is jars of peanut butter on the bench or tubs of butter. You only have to forget for a moment and leave the baby gate open and she is happily licking them away in her crate.

I do give her empty peanut butter jars to lick out, and peanut butter in her kong, perhaps this is not a good idea?

If she wasnt so gorgeous, gentle and goofy I would be going mad :)

Em doesn't have much chance because I never leave things lying around or forget to shut the gate to the bedrooms. Mr TSD is not quite so conscientious and one of the cats, who plays fetch, brings all his toys over the baby gate. Her favourites are....dish cloths, sponges, tea towels, socks, shoes and as many cat toys as you can discretely stuff inside a soft Springer mouth! Oh, and the occasional live gecko.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

My Girl is a bit of a Klepto... she steals the weirdest frikking things too... no matter where you put them, and she is so sneaky and silent about it. Apart from things like shoes (big favorite those) she steals really weird things like the little metal stand that holds up the mosquito coils... (YES) - she picks the coil off it... and drops that on the ground then takes the metal thingy.

Spray cans, like fly spray or deoderent.... she takes those. I mean these are the kinds of things you would think why the hell would a dog even go near this stuff!! Oh yes.. and anything that belongs to the cat.

When I had foxy my german shepherd in the 80's it used to collect socks :laugh:

On the other hand mum's kelpie 'Lucky' who we got about 6 months after my father passed away, as dad was a bit of a drinker, Lucky loved going under the house and he brought out all dad's empty booze bottles :rolleyes:

Waldo steals socks and underwear but leaves them in the middle of the family room and also dish cloths which he destroys.

He brings small rocks inside and leaves them around-never chews them just figures they should be in the kitchen and not in the garden.

Both of my greyhounds are Klepto's.They will steal anything if I forget to put it away.Most days I am walking around the house with one shoe on pleading with them to tell me where the other one is :laugh: Maddie has a thing with bra's.Many a time I've found a bra in the backyard :o

My keys! They're always out in the garden under a bush! I know it's my fault for letting him play with them, but they seem to be his favourite toy and I know where to find them. They're attached to a teddy, which is what he plays with :laugh:

.. and shoes. If I accidentally don't put a shoe away it ends up in Benny's bed or crate. He doesn't chew them, just snuggles with them... Strange puppy.

Probably the weirdest thing that my dog will try to steal is earrings... As in, tiny little stud ones. I'm somewhat impressed that he can pick them up in his mouth without swallowing them (which luckily hasn't happened yet... that I know of!)

Georgia loves tissues. She doesn't collect them though she steals thems and rips them to shreds. Poor tissues don't stand a chance. New or used, she doesn't care. :laugh:

Same here. Bundy's taken to raiding my handbag on a daily basis to steal tissues. I always forget, so i go and find him to see tissues everywhere :(