Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

Have you thought also the old woman may have been there and done that, and now wants some peace and quiet?

Maybe she was ill and a small child who would probably more than likely cry on some part of the journey, upset her as she may have wanted to try and nap?

If a child sat next to me on the plane,I would be pretty upset too.. I don't fly well and someone bouncing around in a seat, and being noisy (even just non stop talking) would set my teeth to edge.. Same would go for an adult.

Why is it, some people with kids MUST force their love of kids onto those who dislike them? Same as some who HAVE to foist religion down the throats of those who do not belive in religion.

It goes both ways.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

aaah, a six month old baby would have made the trip more fun with her if she stayed in the seat next to you - what better way to spend a trip then playing with a little cutsie toddler :angel:

Edited to add - I don't have kids of my own, but I think they are gorgeous, especially at that age

Is it just me or......this is something I've often wondered and I'm ready with my flame suit on.

But yes, over the years I have observed a number of my non children friends who have animals and have noticed that many of them, think of their pets as their children and also appear to actively dislike children.

Why is this?

I mean I know children are hard work and have their rewards and challenges, but hey, they were kids once too. There are many well behaved, nicely raised kids out there that are a credit to the future so why do some people get all anti-kids about it?

So why the "not renting to families with kids" etc.

On a plane returning to Australia from Vienna an old woman sat beside me, glanced at my 6 months old baby, pulled a sour face, called the flight attendant and stated "I specifically requested NOT to be seated next to one of those"! She got moved.

I will admit sometimes other peoples kid annoy me when I see their mothers let them run amuk in shopping centres etc. but that does not colour my attitude towards ALL children, either prior to becoming a mother 22 years ago or after. ;)

Edited by helen

This thread isn't all about you or what things you have a problem with.

Righto - so it's okay for you to express your thoughts and personal opinion on the topic and not others!

You did give us your opinion. The topic isn't about "why we dislike people that dislike children" or "why we dislike people that are rude to children", but I guess you got confused.

I think maybe you're the one who's confused - perhaps I didn't spell it out clearly enough for some ;) Hopefully this is easy enough to understand - I don't understand why it's anyone elses business who likes/dislikes children - does it really matter? Yes I did state my personal opinion but then so did you when you insulted those who defended thier children as being that way due to "raging hormones" :)

If it isn't anyone's business, why are you coming in here to see what people think? You obviously do care that people would dislike children, or you wouldn't keep coming back in giving us your opinion on people that dislike children. If it really doesn't matter to you, maybe you could prove it by refraining from quoting me, questioning me, spelling things out, or telling me what you don't like about my opinion.

Why is that everyone assumes people who aren't fond of kids are standardly rude to them and tell them they're smelly, boring, loud, annoying or whatever adjective you want to throw in there? Most people, even if they don't generally like kids, have no desire to treat them badly, hurt their feelings or let them know they're not liked. If parents don't let their kids run amok or harass strangers there's little chance of their kids copping a mouthful. If a child is being a little monster the first person I will address is the parent. If the parent isn't in sight or won't do anything then I'll tell the little monster to cut it out and probably not too politely (and by that I don't mean swearing at them, just not babying them), but I would never tell them they're horrible little monsters who should never have been born. Give us a little bit of credit would you? I don't particularly like the smell that often eminates from some of the homeless drunks that live in the city but I'm not rude to them if they talk to me. I don't tell them they smell awful and I feel like vomiting nor do I let them see that on my face. It's called manners and I find it astounding that so many parents equate not liking children to not having any. :confused:

Where are the manners here? Or does that not apply because it is a faceless net forum? There are parents on this forum, and some people have suggested having children is some disgusting primitive compulsion and that any parent commenting on here is only led by their raging hormones! Some have gone on to say exactly whats on their mind when they see children of which much of that is pretty vile, but only IMO

I don't think that is good manners it can actually be quite insulting to have someone you love more than anything referred to in that way. I think that is why there is such passionate arguement in this forum, there is a lot of hurtful things being said.

Firstly, my comments were in response to those who were suggesting that children will be forever scarred by those of us who don't particularly like them based on the assumption that we actually tell children they're horrid, snotty little brats.

This is obviously not directed at you, or anyone else here, but for those that aren't parents it would probably surprise and shock you just how many people DO behave rudely, express disgust and generally act in a derogatory manner towards kids, often when the child is doing nothing wrong at all. I've had everything from people ignoring my Daughter when she talks to them to making outright rude comments to telling me I ought to have my child leashed in public (and no, she is never allowed to run down the supermarket aisles or anything like that). Recently I had a man repeatedly step on her as he was taking a photo of his son and decided he wanted to stand where she was already standing (in a designated line waiting for something). No excuse me, just step and almost knock over, look over the shoulder, rinse and repeat twice before I told him to back the hell off her before he came to physical harm. I've even had people post horridly nasty comments on my youtube videos of her, where all she is doing is reading a sign or playing on a swing etc. You honestly would be shocked at how common it is if you haven't experienced it.

OK wasn't going to comment but given it might take it to 30 pages here goes.

I don't dislike kids but I do dislike the behaviour of some and do actively dislike parents that hold the view that whatever their little darling wants has to be given to them even if it impacts adversely on other people.

I go to shows to spend time with friends and to listen to judges comments on my cats. I do not go for the public though I am happy to talk to people and show off my animals to people who seem genuinely interested and have basic manners (be they child or adult). I do not want kids with food in their hands or disgusting dirty hands touching my cats, I do not want kids who are clearly sick touching my animals (same goes for adults) I do not want kids sticking fingers or their toys into cages poking at my cats. I don't want their cages opened by parents so their little darling can get a better look or touch. And when I am out walking my dogs I do not want kids running up to them screaming, slapping at them or hitting them with whatever toy they have in their hand whilst their parents laugh at their antics. If parents don't want me to tell their child not to do something that is inappropriate, politely the first time and less politely if I have to say something again, I would suggest parents learn boundaries and start to realise that whilst their world might revolve around their child mine (and probably all those other people out there that they think dislike children) certainly doesn't.

And I am so over kids in supermarkets whose parents just let them wander off to harass others and destroy property. Seriously think the stores should follow some of them around with a trolley and make the parents pay for all the product the kids have ruined often whilst the parents look on saying nothing or worse making the child put back a pack and get one from the back because their kids have drop, smashed, crushed it.

Page 30, thanks Mags :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll find one person who has admitted to not being fond of children in this thread who thinks of their dog as a child. I think DorytheDotedOne was correct with her 'princess' theory, and I'm not sure those types would be on DOL. If their dog is their 'child', they'd more likely be found on a kiddies forum, not a dog forum. ;)

I agree. I think that the majority of those who would participate in a dog forum are very loving but realistic and practical about the way in which they treat their pets. But I'm sure we have all been witness to the "pet treated as child' paradym I refer to. But I don't think you'd find them on a kiddies forum.

Nor do I, hence the wink! :)

As for it being shallow IF the ONLY reason you disliked babies was because they smell when they poop....well c'mon, do you really not agree that's a superficial reason? REALLY?

Name ONE person who claimed that as their ONLY reason.

I'll give you a tip, don't waste your time looking back through the thread, there wasn't one.

Really I think it has become about what people are taking from it. Much is not as it was intended. For eg. At no point was it meant to be about whether one has children or not, or whether this is a concious decision or just dealt by circumstances. Nor was it ever about having to feel justified in their choices. Again, for whatever reasons some have at times been made to feel they have been forced to justify their reasonings. For any angst this has caused, I apologise.

No need to apologise LizT, you haven't said anything nasty. Threads on DOL have a tendency to go off on tangents, and to be honest I think this usually makes for interesting reading and sometimes some lively philosophical discussions. If nothing else, this thread is interesting and compelling (threads don't get to 30 pages if they're boring), and hopefully may help some people understand a diametrically opposing point of view without thinking that one opinion is right and one is wrong (probably wishful thinking on my part.)

To add yet another tangent, when I mentioned this thread to my OH, his response was "That's why democracies don't work, because you can never get 100% of people to agree on something, so someone will always be unhappy." He has a point.

Hah, people should have a read about oxytocin. It certainly gave me a chuckle.

http://en.m.wikipedi...g/wiki/Oxytocin

What's funny? The fact that it supports Greytmate's hormonal comments about parents or the fact that it suggests that we non-parents might be sociopathic, psychopathic, narcissistic or manipulative?

Or the fact that it insults every last one of us whichever side we're on?

Edited by hortfurball

OK wasn't going to comment but given it might take it to 30 pages here goes.

I don't dislike kids but I do dislike the behaviour of some and do actively dislike parents that hold the view that whatever their little darling wants has to be given to them even if it impacts adversely on other people.

I go to shows to spend time with friends and to listen to judges comments on my cats. I do not go for the public though I am happy to talk to people and show off my animals to people who seem genuinely interested and have basic manners (be they child or adult). I do not want kids with food in their hands or disgusting dirty hands touching my cats, I do not want kids who are clearly sick touching my animals (same goes for adults) I do not want kids sticking fingers or their toys into cages poking at my cats. I don't want their cages opened by parents so their little darling can get a better look or touch. And when I am out walking my dogs I do not want kids running up to them screaming, slapping at them or hitting them with whatever toy they have in their hand whilst their parents laugh at their antics. If parents don't want me to tell their child not to do something that is inappropriate, politely the first time and less politely if I have to say something again, I would suggest parents learn boundaries and start to realise that whilst their world might revolve around their child mine (and probably all those other people out there that they think dislike children) certainly doesn't.

And I am so over kids in supermarkets whose parents just let them wander off to harass others and destroy property. Seriously think the stores should follow some of them around with a trolley and make the parents pay for all the product the kids have ruined often whilst the parents look on saying nothing or worse making the child put back a pack and get one from the back because their kids have drop, smashed, crushed it.

...or opened it and taken a bite out of it.

Brilliant post! This pretty much sums up for me what I've been trying to say for thirty pages.

Apparently I like kids but don't like parents :thumbsup::noidea::laugh:

The woman in the OP could have found a better way to express the reason why she wanted to be moved. The OPer stated way back somewhere in this thread that they accepted there may be reasons she acted and spoke the way she did.

Having said that, this post has made me rethink about why I dislike kids and on reflection, it's not the kids I dislike, it's the behaviours I generally see from them.

I do not want to sit in a plane next to someone who:

- is likely to cry or scream because they can't better express themselves. If I hear it for long enough, it will drive me mad enough to yell too.

- does not have control of their bodily functions. The smell or sight of human urine or excrement makes my stomach turn. Some people can handle it - I can't.

- is likely to vomit without warning. The sound and smell associated with this act makes me want to copy them.

- babbles incessantly, has no concept of how rude it is to interrupt, can't sit still and quietly or keep their hands (sticky or otherwise) to themselves.

All of the above applies whether the person is 3 months old or 30 years old.

So for me it is not a dislike of babies or kids, it is a dislike of the above particular behaviours.

Edited by Dxenion

I've been reading dog blogs lately. It's shocking how nasty people get.

Maybe the deeper question is why so many animal lovers don't like other people? Do we have so many DA and HA dogs because there are lots of DA and HA owners?

Maybe the deeper question is why so many animal lovers don't like other people? Do we have so many DA and HA dogs because there are lots of DA and HA owners?

Maybe because Dogs are easier to relate to and by far more forgiving when we say something stupid. ;)

Guest Tess32

Dogs aren't capable of much, so you don't have to put yourself on the line and be vulnerable as you do with other people.

Maybe because Dogs are easier to relate to and by far more forgiving when we say something stupid. ;)

Grumpy isn't terribly forgiving when I sing to him. Last time he walked out of the room.

Like I said in my earlier posts it boils down to the parents and how some people choose to raise their children.. No boundaries, very little discipline, they want to be their child's " friend". In some ways it is a shame we have moved so far away from how we were raised ( we as in 40 plus) now parents are either scared to be firm or have no clue how because of busy work life, no support or simply no energy...

Parenting is hard work, being a good parent/role model is even harder..

Dxenion: after working in child care for many years and having my own children, now when coming into contact with other peoples children I find most of what you mentioned annoying( vomit I cannot stomomach)

I enjoy well mannered children :-)

The woman in the OP could have found a better way to express the reason why she wanted to be moved. The OPer stated way back somewhere in this thread that they accepted there may be reasons she acted and spoke the way she did.

Having said that, this post has made me rethink about why I dislike kids and on reflection, it's not the kids I dislike, it's the behaviours I generally see from them.

I do not want to sit in a plane next to someone who:

- is likely to cry or scream because they can't better express themselves. If I hear it for long enough, it will drive me mad enough to yell too.

- does not have control of their bodily functions. The smell or sight of human urine or excrement makes my stomach turn. Some people can handle it - I can't.

- is likely to vomit without warning. The sound and smell associated with this act makes me want to copy them.

- babbles incessantly, has no concept of how rude it is to interrupt, can't sit still and quietly or keep their hands (sticky or otherwise) to themselves.

All of the above applies whether the person is 3 months old or 30 years old.

So for me it is not a dislike of babies or kids, it is a dislike of the above particular behaviours.