Things We Say To Our Dogs

Pollywaffle

This morning my little boy (maltese) was being a pest, following me around whilst I was in the kitchen..obviously wanted a treat. At the end of my patience I turned to him and said "you're greedy, just like your father' (aka my husband)...please tell me I'm not the only one who says stupid things like that to the dogs....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always talk to the dogs. I say things like "No you can't have that because it's not good for you" or "How was your day Munchkin, what did you get up to?"

If the OH ever tells them they're being annoying or anything I tell him off :laugh:

He just :rolleyes:

Edited by Aussie3

I fed my dogs this morning, and whilst I was putting their bowls down I said "now this morning we have a serving of kibble, marinated with sardine juices and plump sardines, with a dash of water, enjoy". I then thought, Oh sh?t, hope the neighbours aren't listening!

Nothing wrong wiht me :)

I fed my dogs this morning, and whilst I was putting their bowls down I said "now this morning we have a serving of kibble, marinated with sardine juices and plump sardines, with a dash of water, enjoy". I then thought, Oh sh?t, hope the neighbours aren't listening!

Nothing wrong wiht me :)

Nope, nothing wrong with you at all ('cept maybe watching too much My Kitchen Rules or Masterchef :laugh: )

I often ask the dogs what they would like for dinner (bit like reading them a menu). They just reply by drooling.

I talk to the dogs non-stop, mind you I am home alone with them most of the day, so I suppose it's a bit like stay-at-home Mum's with young kiddies, lacking a bit in real adult conversation.

:laugh: :laugh: I'm so glad i'm not the only one!!

I have full on conversations with Arby, all the time, like he's a person.

We actually do have conversations where he talks back to me - usually while i'm getting his dinner... He'll look at me and do a little staffy scream then i'll be "Oh really is that right?" *staffy scream* "and then what happened?" *staffy scream* "wow that's amazing Arby!" *staffy scream*

Our neighbours must think we're both a bit weird :laugh: It's pretty funny to see though, and he only does it with me, not my OH

We actually do have conversations where he talks back to me - usually while i'm getting his dinner... He'll look at me and do a little staffy scream then i'll be "Oh really is that right?" *staffy scream* "and then what happened?" *staffy scream* "wow that's amazing Arby!" *staffy scream*

Our neighbours must think we're both a bit weird :laugh: It's pretty funny to see though, and he only does it with me, not my OH

:D Adorable!!!

"How was your day Munchkin, what did you get up to?"

We always ask our dogs how their day was.

:laugh: Me too! "So what'd you do today, did you have a good day? Oh you threw yourself into the clamshell and slept on your bed!? Your such a good boy!" :rofl::o

I am convinced Bomber would be devastated if i didn't talk to him! :laugh:

I've been meaning to say for a while - i LOVE your Avatar, has me in stitches ever time i see you post :rofl:

My old stafford was my study buddy - he listened to me for 4 years going over notes before tests, reading out assignments to see if they made sense..

He was a very patient study buddy - he even fell asleep during some of our study sessions

The worry for me isn't what I say to my dogs; it's that I occasionally speak to people how I speak to my dogs. People just don't seem to appreciate being told to 'shifty bum' for some reason.

I have the same problem with OH, as I tap his bum for him to move over so I can get into a cupboard or something. He says, "I'm not your horse, a simply excuse me will do"! :laugh:

Yep talk to mine all the time.I had a friend over the other day and Maddie was roaching on the lounge legs wide open.My friend commented on how relaxed she was and I looked over and said "Madeline close your legs please we have company " :laugh:

Stan rarely gets out of my bed at night to go to the toilet but when he does he likes to tell me he's going.While his roo rooing away I'm yelling out "for dogs sake Stanley get outside and do a poo,you don't need to tell me about it!"I often wonder if someone was walking past they would be thinking...geez she's mean to her husband Stan AND she makes him poo outside :eek:

My old stafford was my study buddy - he listened to me for 4 years going over notes before tests, reading out assignments to see if they made sense..

He was a very patient study buddy - he even fell asleep during some of our study sessions

Our first Cavalier LOVED bedtime stories and both her and my daughter used to fall asleep.

I talk to my girl all the time.. when I get home from work, I greet her, "Hello darling, have you peed yet? What did you do today? Did you miss me?" etc etc. I have full-on conversations with her all the time, "Do you want to come cuddle with mummy?" "Watch out, you're gonna get in trouble!" "Aww baby, do you want some attention?" "No, it's not for you!! It's my dinner!!" "Would you like some sardines tonight?" "You smell, you need a bath!" etc etc and more, to which she responds by looking at me like I'm loony in varying degrees, or offering me her paw, which is her default response to EVERYTHING.

I often talk to mine. When we got our now 6 month old kitten, I was sitting with the two Whippets, OH with the kitten. He was going on about how much he had missed having a cat around and how he really was a cat person not a dog person. I immediately put my hands on the dogs ears and said close your ears guys, don't listen to him he is just being rude. I then told him - you can't say that they can hear you!!!

Every morning I get roo roo from Rommi and I always roo rooback and then say and a rooroo to you too Rommi.

If they are being pushy or not listening I just say manners, and even though it is not for a specific thing they seem to get it and stop whatever naughty thing they are doing.

They often get told to rack off hairy legs- they don't listen to that one often though.

I've been meaning to say for a while - i LOVE your Avatar, has me in stitches ever time i see you post :rofl:

:laugh: It's classic isn't it!