Things We Say To Our Dogs

Pollywaffle

Yep talk to mine all the time.I had a friend over the other day and Maddie was roaching on the lounge legs wide open.My friend commented on how relaxed she was and I looked over and said "Madeline close your legs please we have company " :laugh:

Stan rarely gets out of my bed at night to go to the toilet but when he does he likes to tell me he's going.While his roo rooing away I'm yelling out "for dogs sake Stanley get outside and do a poo,you don't need to tell me about it!"I often wonder if someone was walking past they would be thinking...geez she's mean to her husband Stan AND she makes him poo outside :eek:

:laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I talk to my girl all the time.. when I get home from work, I greet her, "Hello darling, have you peed yet? What did you do today? Did you miss me?" etc etc. I have full-on conversations with her all the time, "Do you want to come cuddle with mummy?" "Watch out, you're gonna get in trouble!" "Aww baby, do you want some attention?" "No, it's not for you!! It's my dinner!!" "Would you like some sardines tonight?" "You smell, you need a bath!" etc etc and more, to which she responds by looking at me like I'm loony in varying degrees, or offering me her paw, which is her default response to EVERYTHING.

haha Mine gives that same "what the?!" look

I chat to my dog constantly, about nothing. I converse with her like I would a person (obviously without the response, but sometimes I respond for her which must sound toooo crazy).

My mum does it too, the other day she asked Max to sit before giving her some chicken but instead said "please have a seat". I cracked up laughing, she had forgotten she was talking to a dog and was using polite human language lol

The Samoyeds are always starting conversations with me, it's only polite to reply. :laugh:

Typical talking Samoyed. All of our dogs speak like this without the training on cue (although this poor dog looks like he's had enough of saying 'I don't know' or 'I love you' and is more likely saying 'bugger off, I'm done.' :laugh: )

Talking Samoyed

I always talk to mine, its seems silly, but meh! I always ask if they've been good for OH in the afternoon and how their days have been. Ivy is a real talker and will talk to me and OH and is constantly nattering at Monte (which he doesn't get..). Monte has just started talking to me particularly when I don't hurry up and finish getting ready quick enough in the morning for his breakfast.. I love when he talks it cracks me up.

I have had to change the way i address my boyfriend when i talk to him. I spend sooo much time talking to Jager and our cat that when i want to talk to Simon i have to say "Simon, how was your day?" or "Simon, can you please...." If i dont use his name he just assumes i am talking to the animals! :)

I seem to talk to my dog so much she actually has quite the vocabulary....

Next to ordinary things like "Cookies" (Woolies homebrand wholemeal dog biscuits I buy, with the Weimaraner on them, because they have a picture of her dad on them, yes, it is actually her real dad lol), "Ride in the Car", "dinner time", "go for a wee", "have a drinkie" (yes, I call it drinkie haha), she also knows random stuff like "dam" (she will go all the way to the dam if you say "dam" and then don't stop her), "ponies" (she will want to go outside and go to where the horses are, aka go for a run with me on the horse), she knows about "chickens" (will run to chook pen madly anticipating the release of the chooks lol they flap and make cool noises!), "fan" (she has her own fan and will poke it to make me turn it on, if I say "fan" she will go sit in front of it if she is hot) and she knows the names of several toys, for example our duck dummy is called "duckington" and she will go get him if you ask for him...

Apparently I have a constant monologue going and she is so clever, she rememebers the names of things she likes.

I've also been saying stuff like "get me a beer form the fride, will ya" and she will sort of wander off into the kitchen, because that is where I usually go next.... Sadly, she hasn't worked out the whole fridge-thing yet. Or mabe I am luck she has not, that is where I keep her meat after-all haha

Oh, and she actually talks back sometimes.. Ever since she was little, she would do noisy yawns and I'd be laughing my head off at them and imitate the noise. She apparently likes to make me laugh because she now does them when I talk to her, and every morning when I first get up and let her out to pee, she will lie on her bed, stick her bum in the air like a play-bow/stretch and yawn loudly which sounds something like "AAAAAAooooooooooH!"...

I interpret it to mean "how-aaaaa-yoooooooooooou"

Always makes me laugh, so I get a pretty good start every morning

Edited by BlackJaq

I've also been saying stuff like "get me a beer form the fride, will ya" and she will sort of wander off into the kitchen, because that is where I usually go next.... Sadly, she hasn't worked out the whole fridge-thing yet. Or mabe I am luck she has not, that is where I keep her meat after-all haha

We saw a dog on one of the television shows getting a beer from the fridge for his master. Mr Ellz was rather scathing of Woger's abilities as a companion so I thought it might be cool to see what he actually did if I got a beer from the fridge and gave it to him and told him to "take it to Dad".

All was well until he sunk his tooth into the can, the can hissed beer at him, he dropped it in a panic and then stood barking at it until we hoomans recovered from our laughing attack and picked it up.

Now, he views ALL cans of beer with great suspicion and starts barking if you dare to put one near him.....

FAIL!!!! :rofl:

Yep talk to mine all the time.I had a friend over the other day and Maddie was roaching on the lounge legs wide open.My friend commented on how relaxed she was and I looked over and said "Madeline close your legs please we have company " :laugh:

Stan rarely gets out of my bed at night to go to the toilet but when he does he likes to tell me he's going.While his roo rooing away I'm yelling out "for dogs sake Stanley get outside and do a poo,you don't need to tell me about it!"I often wonder if someone was walking past they would be thinking...geez she's mean to her husband Stan AND she makes him poo outside :eek:

Made me splurk my coke!

This morning my little boy (maltese) was being a pest, following me around whilst I was in the kitchen..obviously wanted a treat. At the end of my patience I turned to him and said "you're greedy, just like your father' (aka my husband)...please tell me I'm not the only one who says stupid things like that to the dogs....

What.... isn't this normal :shrug:

I thought everyone talked to their dogs like this :D

I seem to talk to my dog so much she actually has quite the vocabulary....

Next to ordinary things like "Cookies" (Woolies homebrand wholemeal dog biscuits I buy, with the Weimaraner on them, because they have a picture of her dad on them, yes, it is actually her real dad lol), "Ride in the Car", "dinner time", "go for a wee", "have a drinkie" (yes, I call it drinkie haha), she also knows random stuff like "dam" (she will go all the way to the dam if you say "dam" and then don't stop her), "ponies" (she will want to go outside and go to where the horses are, aka go for a run with me on the horse), she knows about "chickens" (will run to chook pen madly anticipating the release of the chooks lol they flap and make cool noises!), "fan" (she has her own fan and will poke it to make me turn it on, if I say "fan" she will go sit in front of it if she is hot) and she knows the names of several toys, for example our duck dummy is called "duckington" and she will go get him if you ask for him...

Apparently I have a constant monologue going and she is so clever, she rememebers the names of things she likes.

Oh, and she actually talks back sometimes.. Ever since she was little, she would do noisy yawns and I'd be laughing my head off at them and imitate the noise. She apparently likes to make me laugh because she now does them when I talk to her, and every morning when I first get up and let her out to pee, she will lie on her bed, stick her bum in the air like a play-bow/stretch and yawn loudly which sounds something like "AAAAAAooooooooooH!"...

I interpret it to mean "how-aaaaa-yoooooooooooou"

Always makes me laugh, so I get a pretty good start every morning

I agree :)

I think the more you use phrases ect the more they come to understand things. Like go up the backyard, go sit for dinner, ready for carrides ect ect, if you repeat them often enough they come to understand what everything means :)

In training when they do something well i give them the thumps up and say good stuff and they know they have done the right thing :thumbsup:

I admit, i feel crazy but i talk to them the same as i talk to ppl lol I esp tell TroyBoy if someone or something has po'd me that day, he just sits and looks blank faced at me :laugh:

I'm another who talks to the dog. Quite often a more intelligent converstion than with hubby or daughters!

Is it weird to admit he talks back. Both hubby & I heard him distinctly call me mum (or maybe it was a yawn). Only today we were walking up the driveway and I asked him to wait for me. He said why and sounded just like my daughters. My response was automatic - cos I told you so. Glad we were alone :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I'm so glad i'm not the only one!!

I have full on conversations with Arby, all the time, like he's a person.

We actually do have conversations where he talks back to me - usually while i'm getting his dinner... He'll look at me and do a little staffy scream then i'll be "Oh really is that right?" *staffy scream* "and then what happened?" *staffy scream* "wow that's amazing Arby!" *staffy scream*

Our neighbours must think we're both a bit weird :laugh: It's pretty funny to see though, and he only does it with me, not my OH

:D Adorable!!!

pretty much a tick for that here too.... but dallies woo woo... and he will talk and answer constantly.... each time you stop...

he also does the bowy talk.... first thing of the morning...

they love it when you talk to them..... so i do... same as anyone else in this thread.

leo knows stuff... he knows most comands and where the dam is also...

I told my male coolie off once and he wooed wooed back at me :laugh: I told him he was never to answer back to his mum ever! :laugh:

I have lovely conversations with my dogs. If they were ever staying at my friend's they used to send me numerous smss every night to tell me what they had done and ask what was I doing - clever doggies! :laugh:

Now I'm sharing a house we have numerous dogs and we are referred to as "Aunty" It's always "Aunty Jo'e, Bella wants to know if you would..................." or "Aunty Jo'e, Mikey wants a pat"

Only the other night I was asking my housemate what she wanted for dinner but I was directing it through Flash my dog "Would you like stroganoff Flashy for your dinner" "Oh you would, would you like it with sour cream" "Yes you would and Rice, potatoe or pasta" "pasta! salad or vegetables" "vegetables, good. But you are going to spit out the mushrooms are you!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

absolutely mad and we should be in a lunatic place but you have to laugh!

Oh yes, we too are loonies who speak to their dogs.

"Ready for school?" (obedience training)Holly jumps up and down and starts howling at us to hurry up!

"Guess what's for breakfast this morning puppies? Vegetables, with yoghurt! You like yoghurt, don't you? Yes. Here you go then."

Once my sister's dog was playing up big time in heeling training. My sister bends down and looks at him. "Henry, if you don't hurry up and learn you won't pass class one. Honey (dog at school) will beat you Henry. We don't want that, do we? We have to beat Honey, Henry! You have to graduate!" Amazingly he seemed to listen - his heeling improved remarkably.

*sigh* I'm sure we sound quite crazy.....just as well we live out of town so no neighbors to hear us ;)