Things We Say To Our Dogs

Pollywaffle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

James and I have just finished a rather drawn out (one-sided) conversation about why his rear end smells. On the back deck. For all to hear :o

:rofl:

BlackJaq my two love those wholemeal bikkies from Woolies.I usually make my own but next time I buy them I will explain to them in detail that I know the mum of the daughter of the Weim on the box :thumbsup: :laugh:

I waffle to my dog all the time...FIL (classic working dog farmer haha) reckons I talk to the dogs too much and pat them too much :p says that Cesar Milan has control over his dogs by standing there and being the leader.

Which is great, but I've talked to my dogs all my life! I used to have trouble sleeping when I was a little kid sometimes (went through a phase of not being able to sleep until mum and dad were in bed!! So 2 hours or more after bedtime!) and went out into the garage (where my dog slept) and talked to her and cuddled her for a while. Then became sleepy and could go to sleep! So they're like my little friends :p when we visited people, their houses were boring unless they had a dog....

I always talk to Toby, telling him what I'm going to do, ask if he wants to go for a run this afternoon, telling him to stay on the verandah so that I can get his food and feed him, telling him I can't find my riding boots, asking him if he had a good sleep or whether the ute was comfortable enough (because Mr. Princess doesn't think a comfy couch on the verandah is good enough ;) ) and all sorts of things!! I think he's even starting to know what "food" means.

I think talking to dogs is a great way of teaching them things...they learn what you're talking about!!

James and I have just finished a rather drawn out (one-sided) conversation about why his rear end smells. On the back deck. For all to hear :o

BlackJaq my two love those wholemeal bikkies from Woolies.I usually make my own but next time I buy them I will explain to them in detail that I know the mum of the daughter of the Weim on the box :thumbsup: :laugh:

:offtopic:

How do you make your own biccies? I'd love to do that!! Have you got a recipe?

When I took Luci to Obedience she would get the bad habit of sitting forward of me so she could look around the dog at my right more easily. I used to correct her and fell into the habit of going "excuse me"..result shed correct her pose. "Excuse me" is a word used here to let Luci know she needs to change a behavior. But when done in public it doesnt just work on Luci: I get people around me looking at each other wondering who did something wrong! :o I forget people listen to what im saying....Im only speaking to my dog.

When I come home from being out, I always say "Did you miss me", and lots of conversations during the day. Mindy is a talker, and the more excited you get her the louder she talks back, so funny to hear. I'll never forget when I was still single and living at home we had a White German Shepherd at the time and she would make her own games, but this day mum and the neighbour were talking at the fence, and she kept shoving the ball at mum, so mum said to Kimba, go and see if the postmans been and next thing she came back with the mail and the neighbours jaw dropped nearly to the ground. She loved collecting the mail and would always wait for the postman to come and go and get it.

:offtopic:

How do you make your own biccies? I'd love to do that!! Have you got a recipe?

Aussie I have a great book that was given to me as a gift called "The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs"by Donna Twichell Roberts.It has the most simple dog bikkies in it(beleive me I am NOT a person who bakes)and each dough depending on the size of your cookie cutter makes 5 to 6 dozen bickies that store in an airtight container or zip lock bag for up to 3 months.I made heaps for Xmas for all my doggie friends and have just made some salmon and dill easter bikkies(in the shape of a rabbit of course) and some apple oat and cinnamon greyhound shapes.If you can't find the book I will PM you some of my fave recipes. :)

maybe you should post the recipe...

are they a good treat for dogges that have waist issues? the dallies gain weight easily.

There are too many to post voloclydes.Yes the book has all sorts of special needs recipes some are crap but some are great.When I was fostering greys and most would not eat through stress I used to make a very simple liver sauce from the book put over some kibble..wolfed it down.Used to make me heave cooking it but at least they would eat it.The book was purchased through Angus and Robertson bookshop here on the Central Coast so I'm sure you would be able to find it.If no-one can find the book I will post recipes but as I am the slowest typer in the world it could take a while :)

ETA sorry for hyjacking your thread PW.

Edited by stans mum

Conversation overheard just now....

Him: "You're going to LOVE sleeping in your crate tonight!""

Dog: .....silence

Him: "Don't look at me like that, I didn't shit on my bedroom floor last night....twice!"

Him: "Don't look at me like that, I didn't shit on my bedroom floor last night....twice!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh on an otherwise crappy day.

hahahahahahahaha - Love it :D

I always talk to my 2 about anything & everything, all the time.

They are perfect listeners & they understand a lot of things I say.

Funny, I have always thought that my neighbours would reckon I am "off my rocker" but ATM am

teaching Stella to go up a ramp, into my portable dog bath & stand still in there till I have finished washing / grooming her in our backyard.

I am thrilled as with lots of encouragement, "goood girl darling, god your beautiful, your mums best girl" & on & on, blah blah blah :o

she does it on her own now after one lesson, without being asked :smartiepants: Soon as I pick up the ramp. Much to my amazement though my

neighbour pops her head over her balconney & sez,"Well, you proved me wrong, never thought you'd get her to walk up there & I love the way you talk to your dogs,

I try & isten to you everyday as it makes my day". " It must be a beautful thing to love something as much as you do".

Made me feel all warm & fuzzy & slightly less silly. :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

The only thing I say to the dogs that tends to cause concern amongst people is if one of them talks back to me my standard response is 'excuse me! No one here wants to listen to your views on molecular genetics!'

I have NO idea how it started! But, my theory is that they could be talking about that for all I know!!!